My two wheeled friends...
May 25, 2004 at 1:19 PM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
Live and let live!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Wait a minute guys... it's not that easy...
biggrin.gif
One of my friends was involved deep in competition on the 500 CC European circuit: UNTIL he met his astoundingly beautiful wife....

Amicalement

May 25, 2004 at 2:21 PM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by genetic
Wait a minute guys... it's not that easy...
biggrin.gif
One of my friends was involved deep in competition on the 500 CC European circuit: UNTIL he met his astoundingly beautiful wife....

Amicalement

LOL! A friend of mine was deeply into competitive women until he met his astoundingly beautiful motorbike..
lach_3.gif

May 25, 2004 at 4:48 PM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by rycet
Hi guys, Why is it so difficult to find a 250cc racing bike in US? The only thing I see is Kawasaki Ninja 250.

When I was younger a friend of mine bought a Yamaha RD350. Now that was a nice little bike and quick too for it's time. Wet white lines in the middle of the road were it's undoing, though...
frown.gif

May 26, 2004 at 6:23 AM Post #37 of 47
I really don't get much into the Japanese bikes though I think most of them are really cool. My a**hole younger brother has a 1999 Hayabusa with a bunch of engine work and a set-up chassis. He rode it once on the street and it scared him stupid. Another brother(who is the best,fastest rider among us) raced it and ran a 8.94 @ 169 mph. It has been sitting in his very nice garage since then(2001).

May 26, 2004 at 8:13 AM Post #39 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
I really don't get much into the Japanese bikes though I think most of them are really cool. My a**hole younger brother has a 1999 Hayabusa with a bunch of engine work and a set-up chassis. He rode it once on the street and it scared him stupid. Another brother(who is the best,fastest rider among us) raced it and ran a 8.94 @ 169 mph. It has been sitting in his very nice garage since then(2001).

The Hayabusa is quite mental....gotta love it, though..
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 26, 2004 at 8:34 AM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

My a**hole younger brother has a 1999 Hayabusa with a bunch of engine work and a set-up chassis.

Does he have a silver one with bronze/copper accents? I always thought that was the most distinctive-looking model. The almost bulbous-looking bodywork took some getting used to, though.

Quote:

Another brother(who is the best,fastest rider among us) raced it and ran a 8.94 @ 169 mph.

That's a full second and 25 MPH quicker than a stock Hayabusa. I guess its top speed must be somewhat higher, as well. Nudging 200 mph?

Those numbers are a fair bit above what my old FJ1200 could do. With "Pee Wee" Gleason aboard, an FJ1200 consistently clocked somewhere around 10.6/130 for an old Cycle World Magazine roadtest. Pee Wee also managed ~150 MPH during a top speed trial. I could replicate the top speed (and often did during my commutes to the university
very_evil_smiley.gif
), but couldn't come close to the quarter-mile numbers. I could only manage in the 11.0/125 range. Obviously, quick reactions and good technique do count for something.
tongue.gif

Ah, memories... Time to check the Buy&Sell for an old FJ, I guess.

D.

May 26, 2004 at 8:40 AM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demolition

Ah, memories... Time to check the Buy&Sell for an old FJ, I guess.

D.

That's the spirit, Demo!! Wouldn't mind getting an old vintage bike at some point, either. Old race Ducati or a BSA Rocket 3 or something...mmm...
wink.gif

May 26, 2004 at 8:49 AM Post #42 of 47
Imagine trying to race motorcross with this now?
wink.gif

Scrambler450.jpg

May 26, 2004 at 9:34 AM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
That's the spirit, Demo!! Wouldn't mind getting an old vintage bike at some point, either. Old race Ducati or a BSA Rocket 3 or something...mmm...
wink.gif

My uncle brought a 1938 or '39 BSA Gold Star back to Canada after World War II. He rode it for years and I even remember it from my childhood, but he sold it off before I turned 16, so I never had a chance to ride it. That would have been fun.

Yeah, a vintage bike would be a hoot, probably. I'd hate to have to find parts for it, though. I remember my uncle fabricating his own parts for the old Gold Star. I would watch him hammering, forging, and welding various bits, and listen to him curse and mutter when something went wrong. I learned a lot of colourful language from him.
tongue.gif

Ah yes, more memories...

D.

May 26, 2004 at 9:56 AM Post #44 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demolition
My uncle brought a 1938 or '39 BSA Gold Star back to Canada after World War II. He rode it for years and I even remember it from my childhood, but he sold it off before I turned 16, so I never had a chance to ride it. That would have been fun.

Yeah, a vintage bike would be a hoot, probably. I'd hate to have to find parts for it, though. I remember my uncle fabricating his own parts for the old Gold Star. I would watch him hammering, forging, and welding various bits, and listen to him curse and mutter when something went wrong. I learned a lot of colourful language from him.
tongue.gif

Ah yes, more memories...

D.

Actually, I'm told it's not too terrible getting parts from the UK for these bikes. There are quite a few small firms making them apparently, at least forthe old British bikes.

BTW, if you ever get the chance to read Jupiter's Travels by Ted Simon, do it. It's about a trip he does around the world on an old Triumph. Takes him several years and is rivetting reading. He's just done it again, 24 years later at the age of 46 and written a second book about it, which I'm about to order..
wink.gif

May 26, 2004 at 3:20 PM Post #45 of 47
Have any of you guys actually rode that Ducati? I'm 5'10" and I gave up after 50 miles because the riding position just hurts. Maybe my proportions are different from the designer's ideal. I borrowed my friend's 916 for a weekend trip around New England. While its drop dead gorgeous and attracts women from miles away...and men too, its just too painful for me to ride. Returned it in less than 2 hours and (I'm ashamed to say) rented a car. Would I still want one if someone offered it to me for free? Heck yeah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back