My two wheeled friends...
May 23, 2004 at 10:41 AM Post #16 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
Where's the kickstand on the Ducati? How's its reliability?

I was never a fairing type guy (or cafe racer for that matter). I was always a Kowasaki 400 Commuter type of guy (although I did enjoy my Yamaha 350).

So what's the price? $8000?

wallijonn, around that. Haven't checked the price here, yet, though, but I will..
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2004 at 12:05 PM Post #17 of 47
I owned a white '85 Yamaha FJ1100 and a red/white '86 Yamaha FJ1200 during my college years. Wrecked one (was hit by a car), bought the other, then sold it off after graduation.

Haven't been on two wheels (other than bicycles) since then.

D.

May 23, 2004 at 12:28 PM Post #18 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demolition
I owned a white '85 Yamaha FJ1100 and a red/white '86 Yamaha FJ1200 during my college years. Wrecked one (was hit by a car), bought the other, then sold it off after graduation.

Haven't been on two wheels (other than bicycles) since then.

D.

Scandinavia is the funniest when it comes to motorbikes, especially Sweden..Loads of Harleys everywhere and barely a single rider under the age of 50...
biggrin.gif

Normally the rider is wearing a Boss suit and has his leather portfolio sticking out of a saddlebag..
biggrin.gif

May 23, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #20 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
ipodstudio,

I just looked it up and it lists at 8800 pounds or $22,000.

Ouch! Last time I looked at the price was around 4 years ago in Karlstad, Sweden. Actually, 8800 GBPs is equal to $15,726.86 USDs at the current exchange rate..
wink.gif

More than I thought, though.

May 24, 2004 at 1:20 AM Post #21 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
Actually, 8800 GBPs is equal to $15,726.86 USDs

Maybe he meant Canadian or Australian dollars.
tongue.gif

In any case, that's a pile of money. Think of all the headphone gear you could buy for that.

D.

May 24, 2004 at 4:58 AM Post #22 of 47
Here is a short video of my 1999 Buell X1 Blue Racestripe edition. I just finished the 99 inch Zipper's engine. I have kinda small cams and lower compression but the heads are Nallin Brothers Racing Stage 3 and they are hogged out to the max. The engine sounds nasty but is actually quite mild running. I also have a 1995 Buell S2T that is bone stock and is one of the last of the bikes that was handbuilt by Erik Buell before Harley-Davidson took over. My wife and kids all have bikes as do my dad and all my brothers.

May 24, 2004 at 5:58 AM Post #23 of 47
That Ducs one sweet bike... I'll be saving for a less-awesome ninja 250 to start out on and hopefully move up to a nicer 600 once I've decided I can roll without problems.

May 24, 2004 at 2:20 PM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller
Here is a short video of my 1999 Buell X1 Blue Racestripe edition. I just finished the 99 inch Zipper's engine. I have kinda small cams and lower compression but the heads are Nallin Brothers Racing Stage 3 and they are hogged out to the max. The engine sounds nasty but is actually quite mild running. I also have a 1995 Buell S2T that is bone stock and is one of the last of the bikes that was handbuilt by Erik Buell before Harley-Davidson took over. My wife and kids all have bikes as do my dad and all my brothers.

Cool bike Tuberoller!! I've wanted to take one of these for a spin for a while, now...
wink.gif

One thing we have to watch out for is our age, though...
wink.gif
I bought a race tuned Yamaha YZ 250 enduro/motorcross bike a while back and myself and some friends got permission to climb the ski slopes in Salen, central Sweden with bikes..
biggrin.gif
First time I got on that bike, though, I almost dislocated my shoulder, it was that strong and quick. Simultaeneously I flipped the bike straight up in the air and hit an oak tree. The bike needed a total overhaul and I'd ridden it for all of 3 seconds....Fortunately I got used to it eventually (almost) and we did those ski slopes...one of the funniest things I've ever tried; I hope to eventually make it up to Austria for a hill climbing competition they have there which is televised on Eurosport every year. The contestants dress up themselves and the bikes in wierd fancy dress costumes and then attempt to scale an unscalable hill...LOL!...my kinda fun
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2004 at 8:17 PM Post #25 of 47
Quote:

Blasphemy, absolute blasphemy!! You will be executed for selling an FJ! A great, classic bike. And the 1200 was the best of the lot. Criminal, just criminal.

Had a 2000 Shadow ACE with hard bags and shield. Completely totaled in midnight meeting with Deer, Ltd. Now on a 84 Ninja 900 in great shape.

May 24, 2004 at 11:05 PM Post #27 of 47
I recently rode over 100 miles on an MV Augusta Brutale. Fantastic machine! It has an upright seating position but was too cramped (small) for me to ride long distance, but the engine was just fantastic. It's a 750cc 4-cyl. designed by Ferrari and has the most unbelievable sound! NOTHING like any other 4 cyl. I've ever heard. 120+ HP at 13,100 rpm (13,900 redline) but also quite a bit of torque for such a high revving engine. The handling/suspension was almost telepathic. I can still remember how it sounded though, 80mph on the highway was at almost 8,000 rpm. The gear ratios were also very close, much like a racer.

Sorry to hear about your friend on the Mille, but glad he lived to ride again! The thing that impressed me most about that bike was the torque. It can really catch you out if your not careful. You could never tap into it's awesome potential on roads around here, but I found myself spinning the rear tire almost at will at low speed even at partial throttle. That thing will eat rear tires for lunch if you don't restrain, and it will bite you!

I like many bikes and although I certainly have nothing against the Japanese bikes (performance/dollar is unbelievable) I have a weakness for bikes that possess a unique character. The Triumph twin has a distinct exhaust note, as do the Ducati's. I love the deep percussive sound of a Duc with good pipes! I like the Buell's too. You see a sport bike coming on and expect the usual high pitched snarl and then a deep rumble catches your ear as the Buell rolls by - very cool!

That Augusta though - anyone ever hear a Formula One Ferrari?

May 24, 2004 at 11:34 PM Post #28 of 47
That Augusta though - anyone ever hear a Formula One Ferrari?

kentamcolin, I'd love to own one of these but they were around $40,000 last time I looked, if I remember right...
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2004 at 3:12 AM Post #29 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
Blasphemy, absolute blasphemy!! You will be executed for selling an FJ! A great, classic bike. And the 1200 was the best of the lot. Criminal, just criminal.

It was a situation similar to that described in Tuberoller's custom title which reads "Divorced an Orpheus to keep his wife."

In my case, though, I divorced an FJ1200 to keep my fiancé. In fact, she made me sacrifice everything that I was interested in, including motorcycles, cars, bicycles, computers, and stereo equipment. Even worse, she forbade (forbade!!) me from socializing with any of my old friends. Apparently, they "weren't good enough."
rolleyes.gif

To make a long story short, she made my life hell. What I should have done was to have gotten rid of her... which I eventually did, although it took a few years for me to come to my senses.

D.

May 25, 2004 at 9:05 AM Post #30 of 47
Quote:

It was a situation similar to that described in Tuberoller's custom title which reads "Divorced an Orpheus to keep his wife."

In my case, though, I divorced an FJ1200 to keep my fiancé. In fact, she made me sacrifice everything that I was interested in, including motorcycles, cars, bicycles, computers, and stereo equipment. Even worse, she forbade (forbade!!) me from socializing with any of my old friends. Apparently, they "weren't good enough."
rolleyes.gif

To make a long story short, she made my life hell. What I should have done was to have gotten rid of her... which I eventually did, although it took a few years for me to come to my senses.

D.

My wife is fantastically understanding about my wierd passtimes. She knows I love to live this way and accepts it, even if she doesn't always agree with it, though more because she's concerned for my safety.
I cannot accept people trying to constantly change each other to suit themselves; they just end up suffocating the other person instead and make their lives a misery. Live and let live!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back