My two new Classical Audiophile CDs
Feb 27, 2002 at 8:49 PM Post #16 of 32
My favorite is Stravinksy - I also like Bartok and Dvorak, though.

Other than that, I haven't really found any one composer who I really love - I like some Tchaikovsky quite a bit, but Beethoven I find irritating and Mozart is too "deja-vu" inspiring for me.

Just my ignorant opinion
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2002 at 10:14 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

What makes a CD "audiophile quality"?

What makes a headphone an audiophile headphone?

Quote:

KR & Dusty
I can't believe that blasphemy "not a fan of Mozart work"
You are really missing out on fabulous symphonies and piano concertos that display tremendous musical genius and transcend time.

Blassphemy? LOL!!
He's a bit too fruity for my taste, I really hate happy music in any form. Same goes for Tchaikovsky.

But the Requiem is different, there's nothing happy about it, it's powerful and beautiful. I like a lot of drama in my classical music.

Dusty,
do try to get a copy of the Mozart's Requiem, even if you don't like his other stuff, I sure don't, you will like it.

Quote:

Oh well you still have time to appreciate these works as you grow older which was the case with me.

I'm not that young, I'm older than most members here.
Maybe I write too casual here?
redface.gif

Quote:

those sound like very interesting recordings. i've done some reading on requiem reconstructions, and the opinion seems to be, although sussmayr made many mistakes in his score, his is still the best because it was born of mozart's time. in other words, you can study the time period all you want, but unless you lived in vienna as a composer of that time there will always be something synthetic about your reconstruction of the requiem.

That's the great thing about classical music, you can have many different recordings of the same music, and each recording can sound very different from each other. When it comes to the requiem, there really is no true right way, since it was never finish to begin with.

Feb 28, 2002 at 4:32 AM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Dusty
Mozart
-symphonies 25-41, piano concertos 13-27, violin concertos 1-5

(a) I said one. (b) Any particular recordings? I don't want to inadvertantly get turned off by a dud performance, I think that's what happened with 40/41. Didn't like Orff's Carmina Burana (except for the opening and closing "O Fortuna" parts) until my sixth copy.

KR..., will do, probably the same copy you got, yes?

nec -- say it. "Chalk-ovsky". It's not really related, just sort of an homage.

redshifter -- I don't know. Just find him too same-y. Too generic. Don't get me wrong, I find him talented. Doesn't mean I have to like his music.

Feb 28, 2002 at 1:28 PM Post #21 of 32
Dusty
OK here is my pick for you, Saraste/Virgin Classics double CD for the price of one mid priced CD, modern recording with very good performance and sound of Mozart Sym 32,35,36,39,41

I have this CD and can vouch for the quality of sound/performance.

Feb 28, 2002 at 2:46 PM Post #22 of 32
Dusty!,,

Since you like Rach 2 ... I think you might like Mozart Piano Concerto N0 21 K.467. "Elvira Madigan" To me it is quite romantic piece. There are several good recording out there it also depend on who you like on piano. What I think good are 1 Perahia/English chamber Orch, 2. Casadesus/Cleveland Orch (Szell), and Kissin ???

I also have 4 of carmina burana .. not becasue try to find the one I like.. but because I like this particular piece. Have you try Christian Thielemann/ Christiane Oelze/Simon Keenlyside/David Kuebler/Chor und Orchester Der Deutchen Oper Berlin ??? I like this one the best. Recently I went to a concert by Cleveland Orch .. they used children Chorus in certain parts which I think it would be another very cool version if they happen to make CD base on that arrangement.

Mar 1, 2002 at 5:23 AM Post #23 of 32
DA -- will seek, find, listen.

Quote:

Originally posted by Nattapong
Since you like Rach 2 ... I think you might like Mozart Piano Concerto N0 21 K.467. "Elvira Madigan" To me it is quite romantic piece. There are several good recording out there it also depend on who you like on piano. What I think good are 1 Perahia/English chamber Orch, 2. Casadesus/Cleveland Orch (Szell), and Kissin ???

Thanks, will look these up. Quote:

I also have 4 of carmina burana .. not becasue try to find the one I like.. but because I like this particular piece.

That's why I tried 6 -- I just liked the O Fortuna part. Quote:

Have you try Christian Thielemann/ Christiane Oelze/Simon Keenlyside/David Kuebler/Chor und Orchester Der Deutchen Oper Berlin ??? I like this one the best...

LOL! That's the 6th one to which I refer -- the one that actually got me into the rest of the piece. Yes, my favourite as well. Good choice!
cool.gif

Mar 5, 2002 at 6:55 AM Post #25 of 32
A little update.

Due to some mix-up, I couldn’t get the Wagner without words CD.
frown.gif

I did get the Mozart Telarc CD in the mail today, this CD is amazing and is the only CD version of this take of the Requiem that you can buy, of course the fidelity is as good as anyone could ever hope for.

Here’s some info on the Music of Wagner CD also from Telarc :

It’s number CD-8083

Performers are Neville Marriner and the Minnesota Orchestra.

Track list :

1. Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg, Prelude, Act 1 [9:47]
2. Siegfried’s Rhine Journey from Gotterdammerung [12:52]
3. Overture to Rienzi [10:58]
4. Overture to The Flying Ducthman [10:54]

This CD is long out of print, but if you see it at the used CD bin, pick it up! It's Great!

Mar 5, 2002 at 7:00 AM Post #26 of 32
Here's some info on Chiller from Telarc :

0189.jpg

Artist: Erich Kunzel/Cincinnati Pops Orchestra
Recording: Chiller: Spine-tingling Music

Release# CD-80189

Tracks

1. Opening Sequence

2. Overture to The Phantom of the Opera

3. Night on Bald Mountain

4. Danse Mocabre

5. March to the Scaffold from Symphonie fantastique

6. Pandemonium from The Damnation of Faust

7. In the Hall of the Mountain King from Peer Gynt

8. Synthesizer Effects

9. Theme from The Twilight Zone

10. 12,000 Volts

11. The Bride of Frankenstein

12. Sleigh Ride from The Devil and Daniel Webster

13. Prelude from Psycho

14. The Mad House from Psycho

15. Murder from Psycho

16. Overture to Sleuth

17. Television Noise

18. The Light from Poltergeist

19. Super Sleuth from Without a Clue

20. Funeral March of a Marionette (from Alfred Hitchcock Presents)

Mar 21, 2002 at 6:46 AM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode

The voicing of the Harpsicord with the AKG 501 approaches the sublime...

You had to use the word Sublime. YOU HAD TO SAY SUBLIME! Sorry, I have a Humanities final tomorrow morning at 11:30 and one of the many themes covered is Burke's discussion of the Sublime and the Beautiful. I suggest you read it; you'll either find it hillarious or disturbing (I found it hillarious due to its disturbing nature).

Mar 21, 2002 at 6:54 AM Post #28 of 32
I got some new CDs since I made this post so... time for an update :

Beethoven - Symphony No. 9 in D Minor (Chesky)
Beethoven - String Quartets Op. 127 in E-Flat Major, Op. 131 in C-Sharp Minor (Telarc)
Richard Wagner – The Flying Dutchman (Domingo)
Philip Feeney – Dracula (Naxos)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back