My two new Classical Audiophile CDs
Feb 27, 2002 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

KR...

Curator of the Headphone Lust Museum
Check it out, I got these for $8.99 each, brand new.

0410.jpg

Artist: Martin Pearlman/Boston Baroque
Recording: Mozart: Requiem
frown.gif
Premiere Robert Levin recording on original instruments)

Release# CD-80410
Label: Telarc

This innovative completion by Robert Levin of the Mozart: Requiem addresses the issues of instrumentation, grammar and structure of Sussmayr's version, while respecting the 200-year old history of a well-known masterpiece.

The most substantial alterations include the transparent instrumentation inspired by Mozart's other church music; the Lacrimosa which leads into a non-modulation Amen fugue, unlike other completions in which the fugue modulates extensively; and the revised Hosanna fugue modeled after Mozart's C-minor Mass K.427/417a, which displays the proportions of a Mozartean church fugue.

Robert Levin is well known as a piano virtuoso committed to the restoration of the Classic period practice of improvised embellishments and cadenzas. He is also a recognized Mozart scholar and theorist. Levin has completed Mozart fragments published by Barenreiter, Hanssler and Peters which have been recorded and performed throughout the world. In August 1991, this version of the Requiem was premiered by Helmuth Rilling at the European Music Festival in Stuttgart, Germany. It met with a standing ovation. Currently, Mr. Levin is professor of Humanities at Harvard University.

The Boston Baroque, under the direction of Martin Pearlman, has appeared several times on the Telarc label. Their outstanding recordings performed on period instruments include their Grammy-nominated Messiah, the complete Brandenburg Concertos and Handel's Concerti grossi Op. 6.

0154.jpg

Artist: Lorin Maazel/Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
Recording: Wagner: The Ring Without Words
frown.gif
Orchestral Highlights from Ring Cycle)

Release# CD-80154
Label: Telarc

This disc is a unique synthesis of orchestral music from Wagner's Ring cycle. Arranged by Lorin Maazel, the work was designed to be "free flowing (no breaks) and chronological, beginning with the first note of Rheingold and finishing with the last chord of Goetterdaemmerung. All the music is Wagner's, and even the transitional material is drawn from the original scores. To convey the breadth and scope of the entire work, Maazel also excerpted material from each opera in proportion to the whole cycle. The result is a 70-minute symphonic journey through Wagner's four great operas.

Consisting of four monumental operas, Wagner's The Ring of Nibelung was one of the most ambitious musical projects ever composed, and has been successful in every respect. With its huge orchestras, sprawling mythological plot, and intense musical drama, the Ring changed the world of music. Orchestrally, they are probably the most complex operas in history, and only the most intrepid of orchestras are up to the challenge. For this recording, Telarc chose to combine its pristine digital sound with the orchestral sheen of the illustrious Berlin Philharmonic. One of the world's greatest ensembles, the Berlin Philharmonic, has built an unparalleled reputation in the music of Wagner and his contemporaries. This synthesis by conductor Lorin Maazel includes all the standard Ring orchestral excerpts such as Ride of the Valkyries and Siegfried's Rhine Journey, as well as most of the leitmotifs known to exist in the score. The result is a unique and innovative symphonic suite (played without interruption) performed by one of the world's most esteemed orchestras.

Feb 27, 2002 at 3:12 AM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
...Requiem
frown.gif

I just wanted to say that I thought it was funny that the board software turned your colon-paren into a frowny...right after the word "Requiem"...

Sorry, not a big fan of Mozart, and I haven't heard that Ring Without Words, so I have nothing useful to add.
frown.gif

Feb 27, 2002 at 4:29 AM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
Cool, KR...! I would personally love to hear the Brandenburgs, especially #3, performed by The Boston Baroque on Telarc.

smily_headphones1.gif

I had ordered that, and a bunch of other classical discs in celebration of my Melos and LS 3/5a. I just listened to Concerto #3 about 2 hours ago. It's an amazing recording and a great performance, especially if you are a fan of Baroque interpretation. The voicing of the Harpsicord with the AKG 501 approaches the sublime...

Feb 27, 2002 at 12:53 PM Post #6 of 32
KR & Dusty
I can't believe that blasphemy "not a fan of Mozart work"
You are really missing out on fabulous symphonies and piano concertos that display tremendous musical genius and transcend time.

Oh well you still have time to appreciate these works as you grow older which was the case with me.

Feb 27, 2002 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 32
Good thing I saw your reply before I posted, D.A. ... was going to post the same thing.
wink.gif

Mozart is a wonderful composer. And has anyone else heard the saying, "Mozart is the easiest music for the beginner but the hardest for an expert." Of course that refers to actually playing the music and not listening to it, but I think perhaps a parallel can be drawn...

Feb 27, 2002 at 4:52 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Oh well you still have time to appreciate these works as you grow older which was the case with me.

Heh-heh, thanks for that. I'm sure it was unintentional, but...I am older. I've been a fan of classical music since I was born (was born to Rachmaninov's Piano Concert No. 2). I somehow doubt that I will develop a taste for him now. I don't know. Just too "same-y" or generic for me.

Now, take in mind my tastes: Rachmaninov, Tchaikovsky, Mussorgsky's Pictures, Dvorak's 9th, Holst's Planets (I will leave Schubert out of this right now, because he strikes me as significantly different than all of these). Do you have one particular work that has the same sort of majesty that these have? Someone told me the Jupiter symphony (what is that, 40 or 41?), but I ended up not liking it too much. I have to admit, though, I didn't give it much of a chance. Is there a particular performance that you would recommend? Perhaps I should try the Requiem? I would think that I would like that, just because of the subject matter.

Feb 27, 2002 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 32
Dusty
Ahhhh, I can see by your list you like the "romantic" period composers, for good reason! The style is different from the more
structured classical period composers as well as slight differences in the musical instruments used.

Classical Composers
Haydn, Mozart - employ the classic sonata form for symphonies and concertos, can sound somewhat structured or mannered, yet
beautiful rythms with great interplay between instruments. A bit more intellectual vs emotional style.

Transitional Composers
Beethoven, Schubert - classical style begins to give way to romantic movement, allowing free and flowing longer passages.
Modern piano now being used allowing more expression by composer. Beethoven 1st two symphonies sound very much like
late Mozart style.

Romantic Composers
Brahms, Dvorak, Tchaikovsky, Schubert - emphasis on emotion and passion of music, sweeping beautiful lyric lines. Wear your heart on a sleeve.......Russian composers have powerful romantic works, as well as more abstract modern style.

But just like it is unlikely to only like Metallica, and not like Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath, AC/DC and other groups who preceded them with different styles...........so too with classical music the other styles that preceded Romantic composers have many riches to enjoy.

Feb 27, 2002 at 5:57 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Dusty
Ahhhh, I can see by your list you like the "romantic" period composers...

So what are you saying, that I won't like Mozart? Quote:

Classical Composers
Haydn, Mozart...

Bach -- whom I like. Quote:

Romantic Composers
Brahms, Dvorak, Tchaikovsky, Schubert - emphasis on emotion and passion of music, sweeping beautiful lyric lines. Wear your heart on a sleeve.......Russian composers have powerful romantic works, as well as more abstract modern style.

Heh-heh, you got that right -- "Chalk" is, amongst other things, a reference to Tchaikovsky. Quote:

But just like it is unlikely to only like Metallica, and not like Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath, AC/DC and other groups who preceded them with different styles...........so too with classical music the other styles that preceded Romantic composers have many riches to enjoy.

Okay, so I should like Mozart. I'm willing to give him another try. Meh, you forgot to answer my question -- one Mozart piece.

Yes, I completely agree with you 100%. For example, I do like Bach, which is definitely in the classical classical vein. But then again, he's special.

Feb 27, 2002 at 5:57 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Romantic Composers
Brahms, Dvorak, Tchaikovsky, Schubert - emphasis on emotion and passion of music, sweeping beautiful lyric lines. Wear your heart on a sleeve.....

hm... not so sure about this. If you listen to Bruckner, for example, beauty of tone and expression takes a back seat to the massive noble structure (architecture some say) of the music. Similarly with Mahler. and forget not that Romantic music isn't romantic music, if you know what i'm saying. much of the romantic movement focused around the elevation and celebration of nature, not simply emotion, passion and sweepingly beautiful music. take for example Mahler's 3rd (although that has some wonderfully beautiful music in it) or Carl Maria von Weber's Der Frieschütz. This said, romantic music is more "open" about emotional expression, it seems.

Oh yeah, and don't forget about Baroque (pre-classical)

Feb 27, 2002 at 6:03 PM Post #12 of 32
dusty,
if you want an entertaining essay of mozart's music, go buy or rent the DVD of "amadeus". it features bits of his greatest music, and some insite into his life and composition style. yes yes i know it is fictionalized, but it does serve as a good sampler of his music, shown in the context of his times.

and i just have to add, "not a big fan of mozart"... what is wrong with you, man?!?!
wink.gif

kr...
those sound like very interesting recordings. i've done some reading on requiem reconstructions, and the opinion seems to be, although sussmayr made many mistakes in his score, his is still the best because it was born of mozart's time. in other words, you can study the time period all you want, but unless you lived in vienna as a composer of that time there will always be something synthetic about your reconstruction of the requiem.

Feb 27, 2002 at 6:13 PM Post #13 of 32
>>If you listen to Bruckner, for example, beauty of tone and expression takes a back seat to the massive noble structure (architecture some say) of the music. Similarly with Mahler<<

Yes although Mahler, Bruckner, Wagner were active during the same time as the "romantic" composers they really are in a different catagory. I always like the phrase that Bruckners symphonies are like massive "cathedrals of sound" which conveys both the style and theme of his works.

Yes, music, poetry, literature during the romantic period also dealt with man's relation to nature themes, good point.

Dusty
Mozart
-symphonies 25-41, piano concertos 13-27, violin concertos 1-5
that will keep you busy
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 27, 2002 at 7:17 PM Post #15 of 32
What makes a CD "audiophile quality"? Does that mean the audio data was downsampled to redbook from a 20bit/96khz recording?

BTW, my favorite composer is Brahms. I'm not into Mozart either, but I do like some of his work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back