My Turn - UE-10 Pro's Are Here
Oct 19, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #16 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz
What is FOTM. Friend of traditional music??

Well, for instance, Cold Stone Creamery's FOTMs are Espresso and Caramel Latte.
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #18 of 50
Thanks, guys!

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
Not that I can afford them for a long while but 2 questions:

How's the bass
basshead.gif
? and how would you compare to the E4C??

Also what it the out the door cost on average with the custom molding and all?

The bass (as well as the rest of the spectrum) is exactly what you put into the system. On bass-heavy material like Nils Petter Molvaer's 'Khmer', it's driving and incessant, without getting sloppy at all. When I auditioned them against a pair of E4C's at the SoCal meet, they completely destroyed the Shures. No shock... 3 drivers vs. 1.

Figure $950 or so and you're set. Custom molds or tax should be about the same

Oct 19, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #19 of 50
I think these will be added to the wish list
very_evil_smiley.gif
maybe sometime after the new year... my wallet will be recovering from the PS-1 and then next month is Christmas shopping
plainface.gif

You have a pretty nice collection in your sig... how would you compare/rate these next to the 650 and SR225?? Are the sonic characteristics similar to either or are they a completely different beast?

Oct 19, 2005 at 4:27 AM Post #20 of 50
BRBJackson, so now that you've had them in for a while, are they still comfortable?

One thing I noticed when I first got the ue10's was that they felt a little too snug, and caused a little soreness. Now that i've used them for a couple months my ears have adjusted perfectly to them. I actually get a better seal now then I did the first week I had them. I can chew talk and eat without the seal breaking now.

Oct 19, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #21 of 50
Congrats Bill,

I am still toying with the idea of getting the UE-10 Pro, do you know if UE loan them out? I was wondering if I can get them for a week to listen to. However, my primary source is an iPod, so I think the UE10 Pro might be overkill for me as an upgrade.

-Andy

Oct 19, 2005 at 11:04 AM Post #22 of 50
Hehe, my congratulations to you, too.

Looks like you got a good fit on the first try? Mine should return this week from their re-fit.

Btw maybe the photo is fooling me, but has your left ear phone a thicker stem? Interesting by what margin the left and right ear canal can differ.

EDIT: Wow, you're right Gordon, I missed that serial number completely - No 7220! Now it's time for all the other HeadFiers who silently bought the UE10s recently to officially confess *g*!

Ciao,
Marcus

Oct 19, 2005 at 11:12 AM Post #23 of 50
<g> all the germans at once again..

its pretty impressive how different the ear canals can be.
and take a closer look at his serial :)

and of course congrats BRBJackson! hope youll enjoy them for a long time.

regards gordon

Oct 19, 2005 at 12:12 PM Post #24 of 50
From your pictures I see that yours are very carefully constructed. The tiny tubes have exactly the same length and end on both systems at the same level. My left system has one tube a bit shorter so that it is slightly sqeezed by the other one, so the opening diameter is not 100% the same. Although I don´t think it matters much in terms of sound - it is just that as a perfectionist simply the look of yours is more convincing.
Great job UE has done!
Have a nice time hearing music
icon10.gif

Greetings from Germany
UAndy

Oct 19, 2005 at 12:22 PM Post #25 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
Congrats Bill,

I am still toying with the idea of getting the UE-10 Pro, do you know if UE loan them out? I was wondering if I can get them for a week to listen to. However, my primary source is an iPod, so I think the UE10 Pro might be overkill for me as an upgrade.

-Andy

They are custom molds so no way
rolleyes.gif
sorry man, but if you have the money, buy them... you won't regret it
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 19, 2005 at 12:34 PM Post #26 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref
rolleyes.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Stupid question: Is it not possible the two people have ears that are similar enough that custom molds can fit both comfortably?

Just a question that I haven’t seen asked, I don’t know the answer.

Oct 19, 2005 at 12:51 PM Post #27 of 50
Possibly. But the chances are very small its like asking if someones braces would fit you. Everyone is different. IIRC there was one guy who had UE product and his son could kinda wear his UE-10s but then again... they are father and son!

Oct 19, 2005 at 1:46 PM Post #28 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref
rolleyes.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yes and no, yes they are custom molds but no, that's not quite true the way you stated it. UE has a universal fit version of those custom phones for their customers to try them out, if they do send them to future customers is another question.

IIRC rx7_fan you have those UE5c so they should trust you, at least more than complete strangers. Maybe you should ask Mike Dias about it?

Ciao,
Marcus

Oct 19, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #29 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by UAndy
From your pictures I see that yours are very carefully constructed. The tiny tubes have exactly the same length and end on both systems at the same level. My left system has one tube a bit shorter so that it is slightly sqeezed by the other one, so the opening diameter is not 100% the same. Although I don´t think it matters much in terms of sound - it is just that as a perfectionist simply the look of yours is more convincing.
Great job UE has done!
Have a nice time hearing music
icon10.gif

Greetings from Germany
UAndy

At my request, Noye trimmed the length of my tubes no fewer than 4 times yesterday, a millimeter at a time. It's possible that you're seeing the effect of the uniform straight cuts he made, as opposed to how it looked originally right out of the mold. Agreed, though, it likely doesn't affect the sound one way or the other.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77
so now that you've had them in for a while, are they still comfortable?

Yes they are. Right now I only have 2 small concerns:
1) I may still need to have the left tube trimmed a little more, and maybe tapered.
2) The right earpiece doesn't feel quite as securely planted in my ear, although I'm getting a great seal. that doesn't break when I move my jaw.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
However, my primary source is an iPod, so I think the UE10 Pro might be overkill for me as an upgrade.

I don't know, Andy, they sound pretty amazing out of my Pod, and I've only got 224k AAC rips on there, not lossless or anything. Not to be that iritating guy who always coerces his friends to spend money, but I think you'd be pretty happy with 'em. Then again, your UE-5c's are damn good to begin with, so... Anyway, call Mike and see if he can loan you a set of the universal fit 10's for audition. Maybe you can leave him a credit card # for security?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcusH
Wow, you're right Gordon, I missed that serial number completely - No 7220! Now it's time for all the other HeadFiers who silently bought the UE10s recently to officially confess *g*!

Also, every time UE outfits another band anywhere in the world, that's 3-15 sets going out at once. While I was there, Dino was sending a big Fedex package to Denmark, and I got the sense it was a fairly common occurance. That said, though, the Head-Fi community has really seemed to embrace these little wonders lately.

Oct 19, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #30 of 50
you guys are killing me, I'm thinking about getting the UE5c, and I see more and more people buying the UE10Pro, making me wanna have them
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back