My thoughts on the E500/SE530...
May 20, 2007 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Jasper994

Organizer for Can Jam '09
I would have never thought when I sat down to write this I’d have such a hard time…. It seems to me that it’s a lot easier to write a review about something that has a bunch of flaws than it is to write about something that’s this incredibly good. Is it perfect then? No, of course the E500s aren’t perfect. Heck, even the UE-10 with it's $1k price tag and custom fit isn’t perfect, but the E500 has achieved a level of performance so high that only the nit pickiest of people could really find much wrong with them.

When I first listen to a piece of gear I generally run through a little checklist in the first few minutes, the E500 went something like this:

1) Is it offensive to listen to? – nope

2) Does it sound like mud? – nope

3) Alright then, it doesn’t completely suck, so how’s the bass? – Excellent, it’s tight, detailed with good texture, punchy, and deep. There’s plenty of it without getting excessive or masking the mids or highs.

4) Mids? – Liquid smooth with loads of detail. The upper mids have very good bite without getting harsh.

5) Treble? – refined, smooth, not peaky or harsh, very good detail

6) Attack – Excellent

7) Decay – Excellent

8) Overall tonal balance? – Fantastic!!!

9) Soundstage – Amazing for an IEM!

10) Imaging – Very, very good

11) Any complaints? Hmmm… Well, it’s not quite as good as the UE-10, but for ½ the cost it’s close enough!

12) Well then why isn’t it perfect? Well, the UE-10 is a little more detailed in the highs and if you have a really good fit the bass is a little more powerful (which I happen to like).

So after spending a few weeks with them, what do I think? Well, after hearing the E500, the Triple-Fi, and the Westone 3 I come away with this: I think the E500 is the most well-balanced, while the Westone 3 is the most euphoric with its lush warmth, and the Triple-Fi is well… um… the brightest.… Okay I love UE, and adore many of their products, but just can’t seem to make myself fall for the Triple-Fi, and trust me, I’ve tried. I think if you’re an Etymotic lover you may enjoy the Triples, but if you find Etys bright and harsh I think you’ll find the Triples to be bright and harsh as well. Between the E500 and Westone 3 though, it’s a tough call. If you put it in terms of lovers, the E500 for me might be the perfect wife, while the Westone 3 might be the perfect mistress. It could easily go the other way if euphony is more important to you than neutrality. I tend to have a slight preference for neutrality.

I think the biggest compliment that I can give the E500 is that despite owning the UE-10, I’m putting them on my short list for things to acquire. While the 10s are a bit more detailed, particularly in the highs, the E500s are more comfortable for sleeping, and go in and out quicker with less discomfort for when I’m out and about. Of course if the performance difference were huge I’d say screw the E500, I’m sticking with my 10s regardless, but that’s not the case. The performance is that close and there are plenty of situations where the E500 is a better fit. Not to mention you can sell them when Shure comes out with the SE7000 or something….

May 20, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #2 of 14
I'd like to offer my thanks and appreciation to Matt and Sean over at Shure who let me borrow the E500 for the purposes of writing this review. These last few weeks have held many a blissful moment as I've sat, stood, or walked with the E500s pumping some of my favorite tunes into my happy ears. You guys rock! Thank you so much!!!

-Aaron

May 20, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #4 of 14
Great review! Just what I needed to read --- you've helped me reconvince myself that I have no need to switch to the Westone 3s
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sh0eBoX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great review! Just what I needed to read --- you've helped me reconvince myself that I have no need to switch to the Westone 3s
biggrin.gif

Me too.
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #9 of 14
Great review, I think you nailed it.

One element I am not sure about is the decay. I love the E500's for detail without ringing and have mine plugged into the Yarland P100 32 ohm port with some very tubey(read lots of decay/verb) sounding tubes. I am not getting all the decay that is in cd's, such as Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions or my reference binaural matching lighting test recording. The attack is good.

May 20, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great review, I think you nailed it.

One element I am not sure about is the decay. I love the E500's for detail without ringing and have mine plugged into the Yarland P100 32 ohm port with some very tubey(read lots of decay/verb) sounding tubes. I am not getting all the decay that is in cd's, such as Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions or my reference binaural matching lighting test recording. The attack is good.

By all accounts multi-driver IEMs and tubes don't get along so well, that may be your issue.

May 20, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyBuchanan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which is more comfortable, more isolating?

Well, I think most of the isolation is based on which tip you use and how well it fits you. I use the small size black foam from Shure and as far as I can tell the isolation from the E500 and Westone 3 are the same with the same tip. The Triple.Fi doesn't fit me particularly well so the isolation may be a little less, but I certainly never felt it was bad. The UE-10 is very good but not better than the universal fits if you use the right tip on the universal. I haven't directly compared but I think the universal fit units may even have a slight edge. Again, the isolation is very good on all of the above and I don't think it's really an issue unless you're always on a train, bus, or plane. If you guys are really interested I've got a few more days with everything so I can try to do an isolation comparison.

May 20, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #12 of 14
Hmm so Westone 3's have that fun-factor to it?

Yeah, the Shure E500's would have been perfect if it's not for that slight roll-off with the highs. I wonder if anyone has the Etymotic ER-4B and other high-end IEM's. From the frequency-response graph, it looks like is almost perfectly flat with detailed highs up to 18-19k.

May 20, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #13 of 14
I had the ER-4B. It was OK, but the treble (and by treble, I mean from 10kHz upward) was a little too intense for me in the end. The ER4S is better, but still requires some EQing to truly shine.

Also, no IEM does 18-19kHz. Anyone who claims they can is either lying or severely stretching the truth.

May 20, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by virusvoodoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm so Westone 3's have that fun-factor to it?

Yeah, the Shure E500's would have been perfect if it's not for that slight roll-off with the highs. I wonder if anyone has the Etymotic ER-4B and other high-end IEM's. From the frequency-response graph, it looks like is almost perfectly flat with detailed highs up to 18-19k.

Yes the Westone's have "that fun factor", there's also a little more of those highest highs if I recall correctly from my couple of hours with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back