My thoughts on reaching 1000 posts...
Dec 5, 2004 at 6:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

null

Headphoneus Supremus
My thoughts? I have no life.
very_evil_smiley.gif

...Seriously; day in and day out I continously post away. It's a very strong addiction I cannot give up. I can't. This hobby is like a vacuum, (as said many times before) it sucks you in once you start getting better and better gear.

At first you're an innocent n00b, posting a bunch of "Looking for new headphones" or "Anyone know anything about this amp" threads. Then once the very kind members of HF guide you to a cheap good phone, you crave more.

You absolutely NEED a better source and amp. You need Kryo-ed interconnects and "magical" cd cleaning solutions to enhance, if ever so slightly, your listening experience (even though you know it is most likely a placebo effect).

Your obsession with 'phones increases. You start attending "meets" to listen to your fellow members headphones, amps, sources and interconnects and figure out which ones to open your wallet for.

By this time, you have amassed well over 1000+ posts and are soon going to be dubbed a Headphoneus Supremeus. You secretly hope, somewhere in the back of your mind, that your efforts will be paid off in the form of a Custom Title, or some sort of recognition.

Your SO or GF starts getting concerned for your health, and fears your sanity is at stake. I mean, cmon! Listening to headphones for hours at a time!? Spending poor Jimmy's college fund on a Maestro? You've gone mad!

...That my fellow addicts, is the cycle of the headphone freak. Don't even try to curb your addiction, it will only become worse with time. You must accept and live with it. I would know, I'm trying to do the same.

Dec 5, 2004 at 7:14 PM Post #2 of 25
What? I don't get it. It could never happen to me!
biggrin.gif

No, seriously. Enjoy the hobby, but don't let it control you or in any interfere with other, more important, things in your life.

Dec 5, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 25
Haha, you may have been amassing posts my friend, but your equipment still have a far ways to go! Stop the posting and start-a-buying!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 5, 2004 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by null
I would if I wasn't a poor high school student. I don't have time to get a job during the week either. Oh well.

Just out of curiosity, why don't you have time for a job? When I was in high school I worked after school every night for 4-5 hours and 7-8 hours on Saturdays. I was still able to keep my grades up, I was in our school's choir, our annual musical, and on the quiz team, and I had an active social life. Not trying to flame you or anything, I'm just curious why you don't have time for a job (maybe too much time spent on Head-Fi?).

-Keith

Dec 5, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Partly because I'm lazy, partly because I don't enjoy spending 7-8 hours each night working and then doing another 2 hours of homework.

I don't know about Canada, but working 7-8 hours a night after school would violate child labor laws in the US. I worked 4-5 hours a night after school as I previously said. I usually worked from 4pm-8:30 or 9pm after school, and I still had time to do homework and watch tv after work. The restaurant I worked at (not fast-food) was close to school, and was closed on Sundays so I always had time to hang out with my friends or catch up on schoolwork on Sundays.

-Keith

Dec 5, 2004 at 8:26 PM Post #8 of 25
BTW, I'm not actually poor, its just that I never have any spare cash lying around. lol
rolleyes.gif

...It doesn't seem like a bad idea, but then again, its not like I really need all that money. My parents buy me clothes and such so I don't need any money for those types of things. I have pretty much everything I want or need (not because I'm spoiled or anything) with exception to my lust for better hp gear. It's not very realistic, though, for teenager to spend $800+ etc. on hp gear, now is it?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 5, 2004 at 8:51 PM Post #9 of 25
1,000 posts in 10 months let's call that a period of 300 days for arguments sake....... that averages out at around 3.33 post per days, not really excessive Null but you are consistent and therefore run the risk of becomming addicted and you could end up becomming a power poster.

Dec 5, 2004 at 9:57 PM Post #11 of 25
Every time I break some fairly significant post count (100, 500, 1000, 1500...) I think to myself, "My social life has slipped down yet another notch..."

Dec 5, 2004 at 10:44 PM Post #13 of 25
. . . And I'm one of you.

Incidentally, a significant post count is no problem at all. Just chime in on every Birthday thread that shows up.
evil_smiley.gif

BW

Dec 5, 2004 at 11:14 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward
. . . And I'm one of you.

Incidentally, a significant post count is no problem at all. Just chime in on every Birthday thread that shows up.
evil_smiley.gif

BW

Happy birthday in advance to you, Bill.
wink.gif

Dec 5, 2004 at 11:32 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

BTW, I'm not actually poor, its just that I never have any spare cash lying around. lol
rolleyes.gif

Hell, I'm in that same situation and I don't have much gear at all. If it wasn't for someone seriously screwing up at a Wal-Mart cash register, I'd be using Grado SR-60's unamped from a cheap 256MB flash player, or occasionally my iMP-550. I'd still call myself an addict though, since I've never listened to anything remotely high-end yet visit this place daily. However, I do have the fantasy of winning the lottery, going completely insane and pairing my Zen Xtra with a SuperMacro and Grado PS-1's for going to school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back