My Thoughts Of the New Sony Walkman A865
Jul 26, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #496 of 516
I'm more and more happy each day that passes with the A865. It's such the difference that I can't listen to the Clip+ anymore. Sounds "cheap" after 2 weeks listening to the A865 night and day. And it's not just a sound sig difference, it's pure Sound Quality.

Jul 29, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #498 of 516
Quote:
What about lower end Sony DAPs compared to A series? For example, S, E or even B. Does anyone have any experience comparing them?

When I had my E345, S545, and S639, they all sounded the same to me, which was a good thing....they simply differed in features.

I don't have them anymore to compare them to my A867. But the  Z-series, and the newer A-series have the "S-master MX" amp inside, which apparently doesn't measure well (at least with sensitive IEM's), yet the owners of them all appear to be very happy with the sound. 

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #499 of 516
Quote:

When I had my E345, S545, and S639, they all sounded the same to me, which was a good thing....they simply differed in features.

I don't have them anymore to compare them to my A867. But the  Z-series, and the newer A-series have the "S-master MX" amp inside, which apparently doesn't measure well (at least with sensitive IEM's), yet the owners of them all appear to be very happy with the sound. 

Is the measured A867 a Euro version or else?  If it is Euro version, it may explain why it doesn't measure that well due to modification to the sound to comply with the volume restriction.  Again, I have the US and Japanese version of the A walkman and they do sound better than the Euro version.

What about lower end Sony DAPs compared to A series? For example, S, E or even B. Does anyone have any experience comparing them?

I have the S639, and its sound signature is thicker in the midbass region and less dynamic sounding compared to my A867 (JPN).  The overall tone is warmer and the soundstage has less depth & width with less details than my A867.  The improvements are across the broad overall but the S639 still manage to sound great and continue to better iPod Touch 4G IMO.

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #500 of 516
Quote:
Is the measured A867 a Euro version or else?  If it is Euro version, it may explain why it doesn't measure that well due to modification to the sound to comply with the volume restriction.  Again, I have the US and Japanese version of the A walkman and they do sound better than the Euro version.

BS.

Jul 29, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #501 of 516
Jul 29, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #502 of 516
Quote:

I don't know if any of these are the EU version or not.....but the graph looks just like the graph from the Z-series.
http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/A866/data.htm
http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/Z1060/Z1060TF10.htm

What is missing there is there are no measurements made with higher impedance headphones.....I'd love to see some taken with some headphones in the 32-64 ohm impedance range (which is where all of mine reside) to see how they compared to the ones taken with IEM's.

Jul 29, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #503 of 516
Quote:

If you haven't compared them, I think you should sign of stuff like these as "BS". Because if you look at it, it could be possible. Adding resistance has more than often make the sound brighter in a way, this is highly proven in IEMs. Not saying I'm correct since I never compared them, but it could be possible.

Sep 23, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #505 of 516
I have a question about the sony nwz-a860 series.

I want to listen to audiobooks on it. Can somebody that has this player tell me if the player remembers where I left of with my audiobook if I listen to music in between, or does the auriobook restart when I listen to any other music?

Thanks

Sep 24, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #506 of 516
I think I know code for accessing test mode for a-860 series,I have service manual in pdf.but still not trying I'm bit worry if anything goes wrong .If anyone interested ,then please let me know by PM and I sent for him codes.Maybe he know what I need to do when I want remove volume cap.Thanks.
P.s. sorry for my english.

Sep 24, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #507 of 516
Ok now I'm sure is working,already checked but what to do then ? :rolleyes:
EDIT:Nothing can be changed from test mode except radio frequencies :mad:,sorry for bothering people on this forum,so I'm still looking for how to remove volume cap.Or maybe i come back to my x-serie walkman.:)

Sep 25, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #508 of 516
Quote:
Ok now I'm sure is working,already checked but what to do then ?
rolleyes.gif

EDIT:Nothing can be changed from test mode except radio frequencies
mad.gif
,sorry for bothering people on this forum,so I'm still looking for how to remove volume cap.Or maybe i come back to my x-serie walkman.
smily_headphones1.gif

What volume cap? What phones do you use? I use IEMs and I do not even use half of its range when listening to music at a noisy gym.

Oct 19, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #510 of 516
There is no way to remove the volume cap. But, I had no issues using my headphones with my volume capped A867,...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back