My Thoughts Of the New Sony Walkman A865
Jul 7, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #451 of 516
I've discovered I like the touch better,..it does everything I need it to do, the battery life is good, and I get great sq from it with or without apps. I just wish I had I had the 64gb model. The trade I made for my (:wink:) smartphone was for a 32 gb touch. Even with the lower capacity I'm quite pleased,...more so than when I get a Sony.

Jul 8, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #452 of 516
Quote:
I've discovered I like the touch better,..it does everything I need it to do, the battery life is good, and I get great sq from it with or without apps. I just wish I had I had the 64gb model. The trade I made for my (
wink.gif
) smartphone was for a 32 gb touch. Even with the lower capacity I'm quite pleased,...more so than when I get a Sony.

Agreed..I have half a dozen or so of various music EQ apps but I find I can't be bothered half the time to go into them.

I have 7600 songs on my Touch - with a couple of Gb free for more. It really is my preferred player although I do love my new Sony too.

The Sony - if it just had the buttons on the top, not on the side, and if it was 64Gb would be perfect.

Jul 8, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #453 of 516
Quote:

Agreed..I have half a dozen or so of various music EQ apps but I find I can't be bothered half the time to go into them.

I have 7600 songs on my Touch - with a couple of Gb free for more. It really is my preferred player although I do love my new Sony too.

The Sony - if it just had the buttons on the top, not on the side, and if it was 64Gb would be perfect.

Well, I have the 64GB, but the buttons are still on the side....lol.

Jul 8, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #454 of 516
Yeah, I don't mean the hold switch and the volume buttons..but it would be better imo. if the play/pause next and previous were on the top like on the X series.

Jul 8, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #455 of 516
Quote:
Yeah, I don't mean the hold switch and the volume buttons..but it would be better imo. if the play/pause next and previous were on the top like on the X series.

It's not an issue for me because I only use the A at home, but I certainly see what you mean. If I'm out walking around, I use the rockboxed Clip Zip still...my only remaining Sansa.

Edit...Forgot, it's not my only remaining Sansa...I still have the Fuze+ collecting dust....lol

Jul 8, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #456 of 516
I had been using my Shuffle for when I'm outside and, while it's great, not enough variety for me with just 2Gbs.

So the A845 is really what I'm going to be using day-to-day instead of my phone - my Touch tends to stay by my bed as I've got a lot of ebooks on there as well as music.

Jul 9, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #457 of 516
The A864/5 has the best bass I have ever heard out of a PMP. It makes my headphones shake, unlike the Clip+ rockboxed. It's so tight and punchy. Plus, the highs, micro-detail, instrument separation and soundstage are fantastic. I like to have more control over EQ, like rockbox, but it is not really necessary on the Sony A865. SQ outperforms the Cowons IMO. It needs some burn-in though. In about 6 hours I was able to hear sounds I was not out of the box. The improvement on treble/micro-detail is surprisingly noticeable. Yes, this S-Master mx amplifier needs some time to sound its best.

Jul 9, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #458 of 516
The Rockboxed clip+ has just as much bass as the Sony, and neither have bass roll off. Both are equal in sq,...

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #459 of 516
First, you forgot to say: "IMO". Second, I got both. And the Clip+ rockboxed heavily EQ'ed. The Sony has more bass. I will do an extensive A/B tomorrow though to be 100% sure of this.

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #460 of 516
Quote:
The Rockboxed clip+ has just as much bass as the Sony, and neither have bass roll off. Both are equal in sq,...

Ya know, more bass isn't necessarily better. And he meant that it was tighter and punchier. Also, with clear bass on the walkman, it sounds as if you got a ZO2 stucked to it. I don't think the clip+ can beat that.

Jul 9, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #461 of 516
Yes, it seems tighter and punchier. And I'm not using Clear Bass as it seems to affect SQ at least above 1. Will know for sure tomorrow after a serious A/B.

Jul 9, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #462 of 516
Yes, "seems" tighter and punchier is an opinion. And being equal sounding isn't IMO - it's quite factual. And clear bass is great, but can also muddy the sq. I would know, as I also compared. Rockbox is the great "equalizer".

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #463 of 516
When I raise the Clear Bass up, I lower the EQ band at the left, labeled 0.4.....doing that helps keep the bass from encroaching on the mids.

Jul 10, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #464 of 516
Quote:
Yes, "seems" tighter and punchier is an opinion. And being equal sounding isn't IMO - it's quite factual. And clear bass is great, but can also muddy the sq. I would know, as I also compared. Rockbox is the great "equalizer".

Factual? lol. Alright
bigsmile_face.gif

Rockbox is indeed the best equalizer I have ever worked with, it does some miracles, but I still don't think as a Clip+ RB lover, that it has this bass impact/punch. I'm almost doing the A/B though. I'll let you guys know for sure about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back