My Thoughts Of the New Sony Walkman A865
Aug 25, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #31 of 516
Thanks for your initial impressions Cliff. How is the Sony with your Custom IEMs and any hiss please? I'm looking for something to drive my UM customs. I may just stick with my iPhone 4.
Just about to sell my J3, bored with it.

Aug 25, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #32 of 516
Hey guys I just accidently realised that this walkman has or should I say had a screen protector on the screen. When I took it it off it brought out shiny cold glass underneath. (i thought the glass screen looked kind of plastic? Before) I am actually regretting taking of the screen protector, as it was put on perfectly by I guess Sony. Oh well its too late now. I actually tried looking up for new screen protector now :xf_eek: and there still aren't any available, ****! however sites on specs r all saying it is aluminium body. I guess it feels a little weird to be plastic? I don't know can anyone in headfi confirm this? There literally no reviews of this walkman . It's me and cliffroyroycole are the only people in the world who have it.:D. Talk about feeling lonley!

Aug 25, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #33 of 516
Hi cliff I totally agree with u on predominant bass on the Sony. From my memory the bass on the x series was held back compared this. My x10s seem a lot bassier than on any of my other players, almost subwoofer level type. Although it doesn't effect the clarity of the other frequencies and is not at all causing any distortion. But yeah, same modified amp like in a845 and x. But a very different sound presentation.

Aug 25, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #34 of 516
you're absolutely right about the iems giving out the power punch I just had a listen with some phonaks. And the sound is a lot more balanced. I mean the the x10 were always low end heavy. But this is not how I remembered them on the x series. This is BASS! I guess the A series brings out thier true colours. :) . I remeber when some expert headfi users reviewing the X mentioned it had recessed lows. Which at the time I honestly didn't know what that meant.:rolleyes: I think I do now.

Aug 26, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #35 of 516
I switched over to the AIAIAI Tracks, a nice little pair of portable phones, on-ears. These tend to be a little more treble focused, so I tried messing with the EQ a bit, and found the "unique" preset to work nicely, really deepens the bass on the Tracks (which are not bass lite, but pretty neutral). I guess I am into exploring the EQ on the Sony DAP. No harm in that, I suppose. I know others are purists (and I seldom use the EQ on my iPOD/amp or iPhone), but interesting options to tailor sound.

I have the Sony S 639 Walkman from a few years back (had all the talk of best SQ just before the X series), I implore you to really give the EQ Unique settings a real go, they will make your Sony sound fantastic. I found the uneq'd walkman to sound a bit flat (not a good flat heh) and veiled.

Eagerly reading all these impressions.

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #37 of 516

Quote:
I will do that, thanks. I thought most Sony freaks preferred no EQ, but I am finding that with EQ, it does come alive. And "unique" is very interesting. I will listen to it today with other IEMs.

I'm a self-professed Sony freq - I LUV me some Sony EQ!!! It's too boring without it. But, I prefer the enhanced bass sound of a Sony (on FLAT/OFF EQ) to a Cowon any day. I like Cowon, but I LUV SONY!!! BBE just isn't my cup-o-tea.

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #38 of 516
I will do that, thanks. I thought most Sony freaks preferred no EQ, but I am finding that with EQ, it does come alive. And "unique" is very interesting. I will listen to it today with other IEMs.

well not sure I am a sony freak but with the settings to my liking I have very much enjoyed my walkman for almost 3 years now. For "bass lite" clear bass one or two works very nicely. Probably going to see how this 865 goes vs the X3 (or the telcast 59) for the next dap but really no rush as the 639 is still going great.

Enjoy!

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #39 of 516
Didn't see this thread in my search.  Sorry for opening a new thread.

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #40 of 516
So,

Is it wort upgrading "Sound Quality wise" from X1060 to A866? I'm in the market to replace my beloved Sony X1060 for its depleted battery and malfunctioning headphone jack....My options are A845 or the new A866. I'm only in to Sound, I seriously do not care about the rest of the specs of the device...

To your ears, is it any better than the X series???? if so, in what ways(SQ wise off course)?

Thanks a lot.

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #41 of 516
I am also interested in sound quality.  I have the X-Series.

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #42 of 516
Without digressing to much to start with and ignoring the RMAA results the new Sony or any come to that when I originally got the Sony X when it was released I also got the Ipod Touch 32gb 2G model without exception of amping the Touch was a let down in terms of SQ even though it had a fairly balanced airy sound it was poor on both low and high end in terms of control and detail weak in the power department leaving it sounding anemic  sounding when pushed on the volume so was gone within six months as the Sony even though warmer or coloured as some describe it sounded more dynamic/ powerful and controlled with better quality in the bottom end & highs. 

So just to get a focal point a little here are the iphone 4's better than the 2g Touch I had or current Touch for that as I heard from someone that had both the 2G Touch and current version there was not much improvement in term's of SQ.

Enough digressing though as I am one of those who have been waiting for the X replacement so to speak despite it's browser **** up on the X I loved the build quality, UI and most importantly the SQ and despite this new A865 maybe still not ticking all the boxes will tempt me in a 64gb if the SQ is as good if not better than the X.

For me the X has been a  revelation as I have not got fatigued listening to this in the two years I have had it, like anything it is only good as the rest of the chain and without going into the EQ debate - I am one who decides not to engage EQ using only WAV files through JH16pros with TWag cable and even though it is a warmer old school analogue sound to it (irony for a digital amp) call it colouration if you will (sure most will) still delivers good instrument separation with a pretty good controlled bottom end bass, not perfection but not far from it and the high end has a realistic tonal quality which sparkles to symbol's and hi-hats and even though maybe the soundstage could be a a little improved  it is still fairly good for a standalone dap and the midrange is quite lush but would not say it is thick sounding as some might describe that it deters away from the detail to be heard. 

So if the new MX amp is an improvement on the S master amp in my X  will be happy as long as it is 64gb and a few months down the line in a sale for the price of a 32b model. 

In the same breath Sony are not to far away from making a perfect all round player ie, the other bits Apple seem to get right and Sony do not, they are close but yet so far away.  As when considering the price premium for this new model why is it not Android now with the technology advancing like it is, at least to give it that extra dimension of having app's and customization but more importantly why did they stick the hard buttons down the side and not keep them on top in the perfect place like the X? mind is boggling there : {

Still no on-the-go play list's, a basic function that many including me call for on these Sony's still not implemented, as again many keep calling for gapless and even  flac ability but it never happens, apart from flac maybe Sony could easily bring the other overdue omitted features into these Walkman's.  

At least the volume cap issue has been addressed by Sony which I guess is the step in the right direction as this killed EU sales of the A845 model but I don't know if Sony realize it or not but they are not far off from making again what could be called modern day classic Walkman's and regain a better global sales figure in the process. 

One last thing that does concern me is that the battery life on this model spec is less than  to previous models which baffled me a bit, wonder if it is anything to do with the drawer of the new amp design? Hope it is not the same type as what the X had as it seems the quick charge battery's the X has for many owners have degraded in the two years which mine has to a certain degree also or died all together. 

Despite all that a Walkman sounding at least as good as the X with 64gb storage I will be a sucker for! 

Aug 28, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #44 of 516

Quote:
I'm guessing $300-$350 for the 64GB Sony A86X. And I can see how the JH16s would synergize with the A865 because the JH5s (with TWag) are a tremendous match with it. They are not releasing the 64GB here I don't think, but even the 16GB is a nice player and a keeper for me.

What country are you in then?

Aug 28, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #45 of 516

Quote:

I know you have gone with the 16gb model but do not understand why Sony would not market the 64gb model in the USA? 
I thought the UK got the rough end of the stick with Japanese electronics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back