My Thoughts Of the New Sony Walkman A865
Aug 20, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #16 of 516
I heard the Sony X and it's performance is pretty poor. Best Sony DAP I've heard but it doesn't say much, Sony's brand name is usually associated with good sound but I don't think that's the case with their DAPs quite yet or anytime soon. The 845 is even worse from what I've gotten from other users I know here. 

RMMA are good indicators, just that most don't know how to interpret the results. It shows the cold fact, there's an apprarent output issue with that Sony and it's going to roll-off those sensitive BAs no matter what. If there's a poor stereo crosstalk result, it's going to be less open, etc. The Clip+ only graphs really well with sensitive BAs, otherwise it's performance is average and nothing special (though solid). The Iphone4 you have there graphs really well, I heard it myself and it's pretty amazing. It may replace both of my DAPs if it ain't broke, don't fix. 

Aug 21, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #17 of 516
There is no one DAP that outperforms every other one in every aspect, it's about compromises. It's not as simple as you make it out to be in those terms. RMMA will tell you performance and accuracy but sometimes there are people who want some coloration despite the gear being less accurate. 

Aug 21, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #18 of 516

Quote:
Does this new Walkman offer gapless playback? Most Walkmans always have gaps between track and track, so I was wondering if Sony had fixed this issue with the new A series.

This is of great interest to me as well...

Aug 21, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #19 of 516

Quote:
There is no one DAP that outperforms every other one in every aspect, it's about compromises. It's not as simple as you make it out to be in those terms. RMMA will tell you performance and accuracy but sometimes there are people who want some coloration despite the gear being less accurate. 

Sometimes the coloration comes in at the mixing or mastering stage. Just think of the new "remasters" of old seventies classic rock albums that are LOUD. Just because all other music around is LOUD. Dynamic range gets smaller and smaller and us consumers end up with brickwalled music that distorts at low levels even on good stereo equipment. How does accurate reproduction of brickwalled music sound?

So whether or not a DAP is able to accurately reproduce audio isn't as big a question for me as the destruction of music through LOUD and brickwalled mastering. Most often the artists or record companies are to blame. They send brickwalled music to the mastering company (i.e. Metallica's "Death Magnetic" or Rush's "Vapor Trails"). So I kind of agree with this guy:

Quote:
Artists don't have a clue about their own work. And worse, they have much less respect for it than their audiences, because in their minds if this record is lost, they can always do another one, just as good, or actually... better.

(http://fightloud.blogspot.com/2009/05/artists-should-not-be-allowed-to-re.html)

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #20 of 516
That's true but there is still a whole lot of good mastered music out there and I would want to enjoy every frequency :) . Newer stuff usually sucks I agree. 

Aug 21, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #21 of 516
If accuracy is anyone's concern why does the ipod touch 3g suck with mids & bass while being really good at RMAA?
I don't disagree with the mentioned graphs for Sony as such large a deviation will be observed by anyone. But these graphs do not say anything about the presentation of the music that an individual source renders.
I very much believe in final presentation. Despite being technically inferior my Panasonic HJE120 (15$) outperforms Brainwavz M2 & Sennheiser cx300ii (50$) in presentation so does my Sony A726 over sansa clip+, cowon iaudio9 , touch 3g/classic7g/nano4g etc.
Iphone 4g is nice but it sounds as coloured as Sony A726. RMAA can never tell you if the midrange is thin/thick/forward & if the treble is harsh/smooth. Going by RMAA results for stereo crosstalk , sansa clip/clip+ should be as good as say Sony A726. But thats not true. Clip sucks in terms of saoundstage.

When i did not own/heard any sony , going by RMAA for A726/A829 i thought these would be killer in Bass as was shown in graphs. After comparing it to clip V2 i can easily tell after using both for 2 years that Sansa bass has way more impact although equal depth.

Although my impressions are based on usage with dynamic earphones only & the mentioned graphs were based on BA, So my observations are independent of the observed graphs.

Aug 21, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #22 of 516
guys, a bit of out topic here...we are in thread about sony's new walkman~zzzz

Aug 21, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #23 of 516
If accuracy is anyone's concern why does the ipod touch 3g suck with mids & bass while being really good at RMAA?
I don't disagree with the mentioned graphs for Sony as such large a deviation will be observed by anyone. But these graphs do not say anything about the presentation of the music that an individual source renders.
I very much believe in final presentation. Despite being technically inferior my Panasonic HJE120 (15$) outperforms Brainwavz M2 & Sennheiser cx300ii (50$) in presentation so does my Sony A726 over sansa clip+, cowon iaudio9 , touch 3g/classic7g/nano4g etc.
Iphone 4g is nice but it sounds as coloured as Sony A726. RMAA can never tell you if the midrange is thin/thick/forward & if the treble is harsh/smooth. Going by RMAA results for stereo crosstalk , sansa clip/clip+ should be as good as say Sony A726. But thats not true. Clip sucks in terms of saoundstage.

When i did not own/heard any sony , going by RMAA for A726/A829 i thought these would be killer in Bass as was shown in graphs. After comparing it to clip V2 i can easily tell after using both for 2 years that Sansa bass has way more impact although equal depth.

Although my impressions are based on usage with dynamic earphones only & the mentioned graphs were based on BA, So my observations are independent of the observed graphs.

This is an example of the subjective aspect that can occur, you obviously like the coloration of the Sony, there's nothing wrong with that. The phone 4 doesn't sound as colored as the 726 because it will never roll-off or hump frequencies the way the Sony does, it's a fact. RMMA does tell you if the midrange is thin/thick/forward,etc unless you don't know how to read frequency graphs. Clip+ is average in terms of soudstage but it's not as poor as say the X ime listening to both. What graphs are you looking at? not all graphs are created equal. The Sonys do fare a lot better with dynamic IEMs I'll give you that, but there are still much better options out there, hell I'll take the J3 over any Sony. 

Aug 22, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #24 of 516
I would like to know:

- How many steps has the volume? if I remember correctly the X had 0/30.

- Is it possible to use the externals buttons with the hold on (for the screen).

Aug 23, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #25 of 516

Quote:
And no doubt some who will take the new Sony DAPs over the J3. I had the J3 for a brief time, but decided it wasn't for me (way too much noodling with the EQ/BBE required). But it's all good. I am looking forward to hearing and comparing the A865 to my other players (iPhone4, iPod w/LOD and amp mainly).

I'm considering picking up one of these at the moment. Since I also own an iPhone4 and Cowon J3 i'll be very interested to hear your thoughts on the 865 and how it compares to those (and the Hisound Studio V you've owned too if possible please). Thanks.

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #27 of 516
Me too. The only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger right now is a second opinion on this DAP.

Aug 24, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #29 of 516
Glad you're enjoying it.

I can't see the advantage of this over the older A845 series - it was all metal & glass with an OLED screen, although it had numerous faults.

It's as though Sony has just stood still or even gone back.

Aug 24, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #30 of 516
I can relate to that.. I got bored with my Cowon J3 so got rid of that.

All I use now is my Sony S and the Clip+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back