My Thoughs on This Past Week's Big Issue(s)
Oct 25, 2004 at 5:15 AM Post #151 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by chumley
What are you, a Prosecutor? Perry Mason? ...

I'm calling your bluff. Let's see the photos of your amps. It will take less time than to pound out another message like the one you just did.

Oct 25, 2004 at 5:23 AM Post #152 of 160
Quote:

The obvious omission here is (c): That I am who I say I am, did what I said I did, and feel like holding onto both my privacy, my schedule, and my property. I'm going to ship amps, for which I paid thousands USD, to whom? YOU? Strangers who could just use them as their own, or resell them? Don't make me laugh. Whether I ever use these amps again is none of your business- it's mine.

That said, do I care one whit whether you or anyone else believes me? In the largest sense- not really. If I'm being honest, do I have anything to lose? Yeah. My self-respect at doing what is commercially, ethically and legally, Singlepower's job- shoring up doubting customers with action, not forum posts. Last time I checked, no checks showed up in my mailbox made out to me from Singlepower. Until any do, I'm not going to do anything on Singlepower's behalf. Remember- I'm the one who took two of these high priced barbecues out of circulation.

As Edwood said, talk is cheap.. calling the amps as 'expensive barbecues' might be amusing to you, but to the manufacturer in question, it is highly derogatory especially with no documented accidents resulting from the design principles and workmanship in question.

Anyone and their mother can scream 'she's a witch.. burn them *itches'.. but WHEN you resort to hyperbole and say you would neither use these amps for the fear of burning your house down upon your loved ones, nor sell these amps to anyone to keep your conscience clear that you didn't burn someone's house down.. THEN you are crossing the line of objective criticism and venturing into speculation without proof. It does not cost anything to you, but if you do not have anything other than allusions to double/triple hearsay, please keep your post objective, like brailledriver.

Thanks for your well-intended post, I must say it made for a good read, but let's go light on melodrama, speculation and hyperbole.

Oct 25, 2004 at 5:30 AM Post #153 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Talk is cheap buddy. Very few, if any, know you personally here. And you haven't contributed any pics. It has already been well established that you cannot be sued for showing the inside pics, let alone outside pics of a product you own. You are simply blowing hot air.

Got a digicam? Pen and paper?

Or continue trying to squeeze blood from a stone......
rolleyes.gif

-Ed

My obligation to produce ANYTHING is nonexistent, Ed. Hot air? Whatever. Actually, absolutely * no one * knows me, personally or otherwise, 'here'. Why am I so suspiciously not eager to 'put up or shut up'? Simple. I stated what I clearly indicated were OPINIONS. You are entitled to doubt them, disagree with them, etc... but denying there's several real problems inside a Singlepower amp, after looking carefully at braillediver's post, for example, in the other thread, smacks of buyers' rationalization'.

I'm not going to waste my time playing 'here's your proof... can I go now, your Honor?' games with you, or anyone else who demands proof of my initial, anecdotal, 'IMO' type post. Double standards exist to prove the fallacy of arguments such as yours and comabereni's, 'buddy'.

Why don't you demand from Mikhail solid, verified proof that his amps are even adequately, let alone robustly, safe? Or are SP amps' great sound so hypnotic that this obvious next step somehow eludes every other SP owner on these forums? 'I'm due back on planet Earth', to paraphrase Woody Allen.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 25, 2004 at 5:37 AM Post #154 of 160
Quote:

My obligation to produce ANYTHING is nonexistent... ...Simple. I stated what I clearly indicated were OPINIONS. You are entitled to doubt them, disagree with them, etc... ...'I'm due back on planet Earth', to paraphrase Woody Allen.
rolleyes.gif

More detailed reply below...

Oct 25, 2004 at 5:43 AM Post #155 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by raaj
As Edwood said, talk is cheap.. calling the amps as 'expensive barbecues' might be amusing to you, but to the manufacturer in question, it is highly derogatory especially with no documented accidents resulting from the design principles and workmanship in question.

Anyone and their mother can scream 'she's a witch.. burn them *itches'.. but WHEN you resort to hyperbole and say you would neither use these amps for the fear of burning your house down upon your loved ones, nor sell these amps to anyone to keep your conscience clear that you didn't burn someone's house down.. THEN you are crossing the line of objective criticism and venturing into speculation without proof. It does not cost anything to you, but if you do not have anything other than allusions to double/triple hearsay, please keep your post objective, like brailledriver.

Thanks for your well-intended post, I must say it made for a good read, but let's go light on melodrama, speculation and hyperbole.

Another 'good vocabulary but poor grasp of simple logic' post- from another quasi-Moderator. I told my story and explained my actions based on what I now believe to be true, 'IMO'. Melodrama, speculation, and hyperbole contain flawed thinking like this: "...no documented accidents resulting from the design principles and workmanship in question." Just because nothing's happened yet doesn't mean the risk isn't there. BTW, why aren't you able to so confidently address any of those 'objective' points of braillediver's? Perhaps someone should try- you guys just might learn something, despite all your attempts to blithely ignore pics (in bd's post), that show the issues under discussion with simple clarity.

Trying to strongarm me into doing what you want because you won't verify for yourself what is clearly a safety issue that needs verification by Singlepower is wasting your time, IMO. But keep trying... it certainly makes for a 'good read' on my end...
icon10.gif

Oct 25, 2004 at 6:14 AM Post #156 of 160
Quote:

BTW, why aren't you able to so confidently address any of those 'objective' points of braillediver's?

Quote:

Trying to strongarm me into doing what you want because you won't verify for yourself what is clearly a safety issue that needs verification by Singlepower is wasting your time, IMO.

Quote:

My obligation to produce ANYTHING is nonexistent, Ed. Hot air? Whatever.

I agree that the wiring inside these amps looks absolutely terrible and it could very well be a safety hazard. This fact alone is certain to have an influence on Singlepower's future, and that has been my position from the beginning. But the issue here, chumley, has nothing to do with those other posts and those other photos, nor with the evaluation thereof. That is a separate discussion.

The issue many are taking with your posts lies in the fact that you have made highly specific, indeed, extraordinary and damaging claims as a declared owner of two Singlepower amps, yet you refuse to provide any additional information that could support your position. How hard is it to take a couple original photos of the two amps that are supposedly in your possession? Instead, you choose to argue at length and from every position on why you should not have to.

Further, identifying your experiences as anecdotal or mere opinion does not lessen the impact of your assertions. Indeed, you may very well be a competitor, or perhaps a long-winded antagonist with a hidden agenda, someone who simply likes to stir it up online for personal amusement, or perhaps even genuine, but your original post is so damaging (and I am no Singlepower owner), that it demands further proof if you hope to be taken seriously. If you don't want to provide that proof, that's fine, but be fully prepared to be disbelieved and shuffle along. You cannot continue to defend your decision to not supply photo evidence citing such things as limited personal time--your continued posting indicates you have plenty of that. So snap, snap, post, post and be finished with it.

In light of all you have said, I believe, as do others here, that this community has a right to know if you are genuine.

EDIT: Never mind chumley. I didn't feel the sting in my lip, but I can definitely recognize the tug on the line. You can PM me if you want to continue this discussion, but I don't think it will give you as much pleasure.

Quote:

I own recent iterations of two Singlepower amps (bought 'mint' used, from a business associate). I've listened extensively, with a wide variety of great quality tubes, these amps (PPX3, Supra).

They are capable of supplying great sound quality; they are also designed and built, IMO, in such a way as to be among the greatest-sounding fire/electrocution hazards extent.

Great sound quality is, I would imagine, almost every forum member's '#1 priority'. But safety, in an 800 volt (yeah, I know- it's not so much the voltage that'll get ya; it's the amperage), device such as the Supra, had better be right up there on the list, if only so one can keep listening to its 'great sound quality' in safety...

As for Mastergill's incisive observation:

"Personally i've found these tube amps design around only one dual triode for input very cheap. For $2,000 i want a totally dual mono design with 2 dual triode as input and two separated power rectifier/regulator at least.
In 'pure' class A of curse."

I agree, and own two other amps that answer that description... they both sound superior to either Singlepower, IMO, and for various reasons- including design, as well as construction.

Dual mono with balanced cabling to my HD650s, etc., has inherently better capacity for the highest quality output, IMO. Singlepower amps don't sound 'bad', they sound 'great', just not * as * great (again, IMO), as the alternative amp designs to which Mastergill refers. I've put my money where my mouth is with regard to those designs; I've ponied up the funds for those alternative designs as well, to good effect.

As for the aforemenioned safety issues: every person I have personally asked to examine, then comment/give advice on the use of both my Singlepower amps has, to a man, strongly suggested I cease using them immediately. This includes 3 Electrical Engineers, all (commercially) State-certified; one has worked as a tenured professor in the field for 22 years at a nearby College. The specific design/construction reasons (none of their given reasons has anything to do with the working 'condition' of the amps), they cite would be, they tell me, immediately apparent to any Engineer well-versed in building, inspecting, and/or designing reliably safe high-voltage electronic devices. Anyone reading this post obviously doesn't have to take their word for this- but I choose to.

Although I no longer listen to music through the Singlepowers, I will never sell them. Not because they represent the highest quality sound I can obtain (they in no way do). I will never sell them because I want a clear conscience. If someone came to harm because one of these amps malfunctioned with tragic results, my listening experience thereafter, on ANY amp, would be squelched forever.

Again, the above is strictly all IMO and a few friends' collective IMO's... the fact that they are all eminently more qualified to comment than I am means that their opinions are here strictly by proxy. I find it ironic that I, the sole layperson in the group, am here giving my * personal * opinion on Singlepower amps' safety. And, as I say, the above is OPINION... but, in 3 out of 4 of the opinions I cite, they are at least well-informed, professional opinions.

sacd lover: as far as your statement that '...it won't affect me at all." I humbly posit that you ultimately have no way of knowing this. Rather, you seem to have made the choice that whatever specific risks associated with the use of Singlepower amps may or may not be, you know what you like- sound quality- and that is your priority and your perogative. BUT- whether your choice to continue to own and use Singlepower amps is informed or not, with regard to any safety issues borne out of the design, manufacturing and construction of Singlepower products, is the most relevent issue facing you and every other current (myself included), and future Singlepower owner- not sound quality per se.

Also IMO- anyone who wants to get their answers about Singlepower amps' safety should (at least try to):

a) obtain pics of the interior of the model of Singlepower amp they are considering purchasing, and (privately) share said pics with someone whose experience and knowledge in the area of high-voltage electronic design and construction they trust

b) decide what's paramount to their purchase or continuing ownership- sound quality alone, or any serious safety issues are pointed out by their contact with the 'trusted third party' in (a).

My 2 cents... I hope the forum understands why I feel I HAD to put that out there...

Oct 25, 2004 at 7:51 AM Post #157 of 160
chumley:
You did not just post your Opinion, you posted very specific experiences. With SP and other amps. In this thread you were asked twice about your experiences with other amps. I even sent a PM to request your opinion about this other amps. In both cases, SP and other amps, you were unable to answer any question in a way that could back your claimed experiences up.

DFTT?

Oct 25, 2004 at 12:16 PM Post #158 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt
chumley:
You did not just post your Opinion, you posted very specific experiences. With SP and other amps. In this thread you were asked twice about your experiences with other amps. I even sent a PM to request your opinion about this other amps. In both cases, SP and other amps, you were unable to answer any question in a way that could back your claimed experiences up.

DFTT?

Kurt, my bad. The two amps I listen to daily which I prefer over any SP amp's output are the Blockhead w/SA's and a McIntosh C2200 preamplifier. I'm 'between' dual monoblock tube headphone amps; still looking for something interesting in the $4-$8k range... if YOU have any ideas about that, I'd like to know!
icon10.gif

Oct 25, 2004 at 2:55 PM Post #159 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by comabereni
I agree that the wiring inside these amps looks absolutely terrible and it could very well be a safety hazard. This fact alone is certain to have an influence on Singlepower's future, and that has been my position from the beginning. But the issue here, chumley, has nothing to do with those other posts and those other photos, nor with the evaluation thereof. That is a separate discussion.

The issue many are taking with your posts lies in the fact that you have made highly specific, indeed, extraordinary and damaging claims as a declared owner of two Singlepower amps, yet you refuse to provide any additional information that could support your position. How hard is it to take a couple original photos of the two amps that are supposedly in your possession? Instead, you choose to argue at length and from every position on why you should not have to.

Further, identifying your experiences as anecdotal or mere opinion does not lessen the impact of your assertions. Indeed, you may very well be a competitor, or perhaps a long-winded antagonist with a hidden agenda, someone who simply likes to stir it up online for personal amusement, or perhaps even genuine, but your original post is so damaging (and I am no Singlepower owner), that it demands further proof if you hope to be taken seriously. If you don't want to provide that proof, that's fine, but be fully prepared to be disbelieved and shuffle along. You cannot continue to defend your decision to not supply photo evidence citing such things as limited personal time--your continued posting indicates you have plenty of that. So snap, snap, post, post and be finished with it.

In light of all you have said, I believe, as do others here, that this community has a right to know if you are genuine.

EDIT: Never mind chumley. I didn't feel the sting in my lip, but I can definitely recognize the tug on the line. You can PM me if you want to continue this discussion, but I don't think it will give you as much pleasure.

I could easily do as you suggest, and take a few pics of both with my D70, post, and then... what? I posit it's likely, no- VERY likely that more than a few folks will question the veracity of those pics; soon, I'll have to post my Drivers' License pic, blood type, supporting theses, cited footnotes, names and addresses of my friends, etc... and even THEN, people will be emboldened to DEMAND PROOF that I am, indeed, legit. It's a difference of POV, comabereni... I'm looking at the top of the hill from the bottom, you're in the helicopter overhead, goading me to just start rolling that rock up the hill to prove I'm Sisyphis... so I'd rather leave my message out there, whether or not YOU take any stock in it, so that others may decide for themselves whether or not they should tug on Mikhail's sleeve and give him a message- 'get serious about answering these questions with action'.

BTW, I've spent perhaps fifteen minutes over the last several days answering these posts... far less time than I would spend doing anything with these amps- since I no longer use them, guess where they'd be? You want something from me that I don't feel at all obliged to supply, because I know the game- give once, and you are forever required to raise the bar providing 'proof' for folks who've no earthly use for your opinion, identity and opinion verified or not.

Once again, it is not my job to provide anything for claiming Mikhail's amps present an abiding, potential danger due to wiring that is not to be believed inside his amps. It is, prima fascia, the truth. Anyone who disagrees with this does so at their own risk. I think you'll find, as time goes by, that Mikhial's failure or success in providing a timely and fair solution to this mess is the deciding factor in his continued sucess. Blame me for not providing 'proof of identity' if you wish; it is beside the point, IMO. The wiring speaks volumes, all by itself.

Shuffle along? Sure, C. I'll be here for years, so get used to it.

Oct 25, 2004 at 4:20 PM Post #160 of 160
Quote:

I could easily do as you suggest, and take a few pics of both with my D70, post, and then... what? I posit it's likely, no- VERY likely that more than a few folks will question the veracity of those pics; soon, I'll have to post my Drivers' License pic, blood type, supporting theses, cited footnotes, names and addresses of my friends, etc... and even THEN, people will be emboldened to DEMAND PROOF that I am, indeed, legit. It's a difference of POV, comabereni... I'm looking at the top of the hill from the bottom, you're in the helicopter overhead, goading me to just start rolling that rock up the hill to prove I'm Sisyphis... so I'd rather leave my message out there, whether or not YOU take any stock in it, so that others may decide for themselves whether or not they should tug on Mikhail's sleeve and give him a message- 'get serious about answering these questions with action'.

BTW, I've spent perhaps fifteen minutes over the last several days answering these posts... far less time than I would spend doing anything with these amps- since I no longer use them, guess where they'd be? You want something from me that I don't feel at all obliged to supply, because I know the game- give once, and you are forever required to raise the bar providing 'proof' for folks who've no earthly use for your opinion, identity and opinion verified or not.

Once again, it is not my job to provide anything for claiming Mikhail's amps present an abiding, potential danger due to wiring that is not to be believed inside his amps. It is, prima fascia, the truth. Anyone who disagrees with this does so at their own risk. I think you'll find, as time goes by, that Mikhial's failure or success in providing a timely and fair solution to this mess is the deciding factor in his continued sucess. Blame me for not providing 'proof of identity' if you wish; it is beside the point, IMO. The wiring speaks volumes, all by itself.

Shuffle along? Sure, C. I'll be here for years, so get used to it.

chumley,

I agreed with all the points in your original post, and have for the most part taken the identical skeptical stand on this issue ever since I became aware of it. The photos are simply shocking to me and I cannot believe anyone would defend such work. I believe they stand on their own and speak volumes. I was on the verge purchasing a SinglePower amplifier for my own use. As I read your original post stating your case against Singlepower--two recent product samples, no way to track down your third party purchase, completed safety inspections with qualified authorities, etc. I felt it read *too perfect*. My response was to find myself exactly on the middle of the fence (regarding your post) and hoped for further clarification/ verification of your claims. A simple posting of some unique photos and I would have believed, no blood type required :), and I'm quite sure it would have also removed doubt from at least a few other members too. Yes, there will always be some who demand more than you can ever provide, but the vast majority, I think, would have seen it as a show of good faith.

As for my motive--my belief is that no person, small OEM, whatever, deserves to have flames already licking their feet fanned into blue heat by a fabrication, no matter how true the message of that fabrication might eventually prove to be. False evidence is simply not admissable in my book of ethics. But again, please remember that I agreed with virtually all of your points. I only hoped you would provide a little bit more--a unique photo and/or willingness to send your $3,000 bookends to further aid the cause of getting to the bottom of this, so far as is possible. Instead, you resisted my every effort, increasing rather than reducing doubt.

In any case, and in conclusion, allow me to say that I stand in agreement with your basic argument as well as with the point and purpose of your story, whether fabricated or not. I can not bring myself to purchase a Singlepower until the situation is remedied and safety is demonstrated beyond doubt. I will not risk my life, my family, or any other person to a product that appears so haphazardly assembled. I simply cannot believe this represents state of the art.

Farewell for now my dear chumley, our mysterious new member with $3,000 bookends and no profile
icon10.gif
. I hold no hard feelings over this and I never had any hard feelings. Only puzzlement.

-coma

Users who are viewing this thread

Back