My take on Supermicro-IV vs Tomahawk..
Dec 6, 2007 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

jdimitri

Headphoneus Supremus
While i currently have both in hand, i thought i'd do a comparison

Source: 4g imod
I/C: cyro mini-mini
Phones: Sennheiser HD25-1, Mylarone X3 and Westone ES2

For now, all i can say is that they are for sure in the same league SQ-wise.. Different characteristics, that's for sure but probably in the end i prefer the supermicro magic.

The supermicro is much smaller than i expected even though i've owned a supermini and expected something just slightly smaller. It's approximately 1/3 the size of a tomahawk.

Dsc00114.jpg

Dsc00112.jpg

Dsc00116.jpg

Dsc00117.jpg

Honestly, I'm keeping the supermicro and selling the tomahawk only because of the size.. and the chance to be in the exclusive club of supermicro owners

More to come obviously.. Pictures and SQ comparison, but for now my advice is a 3 step one:

1. Order a supermicro using your CC so that you can cancel it without hassles if you need to
2. Buy a tomahawk/hornet/whatever other amps you fancy that are available
3. Wait months and months, and when the supermicro finally comes, decide whether you like it more than your current amp

Dec 6, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 20
The Micro is a cute amp and I'll take your word on the SQ comparison with the Toma but to me in no way are these 2 amps in the same class. The Toma chasis is 10 times the structural quality of the Xin.

I would have a serious problem with paying $170.00 for a plastic box and only see size as a + for the Micro IMHO.

That little watermelon colored Micro reminds me of something Barby would be packin' :-0

To make it even worse the new iBasso P2 is $30.00 cheaper with 5 times the chassis so it really would come down to the size issue. Speaking of size the new T2 would be a challenge for the Micro (maybe not in SQ) but then again the T2 is $60.00 cheaper than the Micro I just saw at fix-it for $169.00!

The one thing I can't take away is the exclusive group you would be in with the Xin owners :wink:

Dec 6, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 20
Podster, I see your concern. But the micro is also way lighter than any of the metal chasis amps and therefore doesnt have to be as strong. If you dropped a hornet, it has to withstand a much more forcefull blow....the micro is definitely strong enough for everyday use. You might not be able to fight off bandits wiht it though.
biggrin.gif

Also, for me, looks dont matter. Im not trying to show off with my headphone amps. actually, i prefer something that doesnt look expensive when i take it out of my pocket to put on an album...and you dont have to get the "watermelon" colored one.

just my opinion though

Dec 6, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #4 of 20
I would agree the Micro case seems cheap and I thought so until I got one. It can take way more abuse than most can dish out. It is light and the sound quality is better than most all portables on the market, that I have heard. I will listen to something in a cardboard box if it sounds great and the Super Micro does, sound great.

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Podster, I see your concern. But the micro is also way lighter than any of the metal chasis amps and therefore doesnt have to be as strong. If you dropped a hornet, it has to withstand a much more forcefull blow....the micro is definitely strong enough for everyday use. You might not be able to fight off bandits wiht it though.
biggrin.gif

Also, for me, looks dont matter. Im not trying to show off with my headphone amps. actually, i prefer something that doesnt look expensive when i take it out of my pocket to put on an album...and you dont have to get the "watermelon" colored one.

just my opinion though

Rhy, I understand where both you and Jam are coming from I do pack my portable rigs in digital camera cases either around the neck or belt attached.

I just can't spend the same amount of cash for plastic when metal is offered
frown.gif
This does make me sound shallow to some degree but to me having a $300.00 iPod hooked to a plastic toothpick box my mind won't let me overcome something about that picture
eek.gif

It's like cables for my main rig, I'd never pay over $200.00 for a pair of ic's (used included) but on the same token I'm not going down to Best Buy and getting a pair of their cheapest consumer grade AQ ic's ($25.00) for my connection between my BAT pre amp and BAT phono pre! I'm running all TMC Truly balanced on my BAT pieces and the cable I mention above retails for $320.00 and TMC has it on sale for $160.00 but I bought mine off A-goN for $50.00
wink.gif

Now on the same token I could easily hook a Micro up to a 1GB Nomad w/UE .3's and find this to be more acceptable (remember this is just me and is so subjective). Even for this setup the Micro seems a little on the high $$$ side for this setup but looks would be straight up. I know I have said nothing about SQ but I'm strickly going on personal system component matching.

I guess all this really shows is we all approach our hobby a little differently
wink.gif

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #7 of 20
i wonder why dr xin doesn't make a metal case for the micro... he could charge $25 for it and i'm sure no one will complain.

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #8 of 20
He does, it is called the Reference but the Reference is a little smoother and reaches greater heights.

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He does, it is called the Reference but the Reference is a little smoother and reaches greater heights.

I'd be curious to read up on that one more Jamato, the man obviously builds killer SQ into these
cool.gif

The other draw back for me on the Xin amps is the turnaround or lack there of
frown.gif

Dec 6, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #10 of 20
Turnaround? turnaround? what u mean, . . . turnaround. :^)

Jam

Dec 6, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #11 of 20
How many threads have I seen about Xin getting product out?

I did recently read the last shipments received were relatively close to promised date:wink:

Granted I'm sure they have nothing on the Diablo but I'm not much for build as you go operations unless you have very quick turnaround:)

Now on the other hand all good things come to those who wait or so they say!

Xin amps get a lot of positive reports out here especially on the SQ side and yes that is what it's really all about and what makes me curious to wait for one myself?

Maybe once I get my small arsenal of portables amps at a good level I may take the plunge no matter how long it might take to get one.

Dec 6, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #12 of 20
How old are you? There is an age addendum since it is recognized that some may be dead before it reaches them so this must be factored into the equation as there are some that will be ruled out from the get go.

Oh wait, I do think there is a clause that allows for the passing to the next of kin. Go ahead, you know you want one for that next in line to the throne.

Jam

Dec 6, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would love to see some size pic comaprisons.

The main reason I went to Tomahawk over the Supermicro, was the ridiculous wait time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Turnaround? turnaround? what u mean, . . . turnaround. :^)"

My apologies to Jam
wink.gif

In defense of Xin I do believe their turnaround times are getting better (least I hope)

Jam, hit 51 on Oct. 28th
biggrin.gif
So you really really think if I place the order in the morning I can have it by Christmas 2112 (Hmm, brings Rush to mind:wink:)

Dec 6, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #15 of 20
You will have to order the hearing impaired model which compensates for aging.

Jam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back