My take on DIY custom Grado headband
Sep 15, 2016 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

przem

Member of the Trade: Shipibo Audio
Hey guys,

For a while, I've been looking for a Grado headband that'd meet my comfort requirements. When I failed to find one, I decided to sew one myself. After few months of looking for the right materials and tools, figuring out the design, etc. it came to life recently. There it is:

It's a hand-sewn lambskin leather with thick memory foam padding.
Initially I made one with similar width to the stock Grado headband, but while it looked nice, it wasn't enough, so I gave birth to this fat monster above.

First some info on the process (using the example of the first, slim instance). Since I wanted something more delicate and softer than cowhide leather, but still durable and beautiful, I decided to go for a hand-sewn lambskin leather. Initially I experimented with machine sewing, or gluing, but both of those methods didn't give me the level of accuracy I wanted, and additionally glue didn't seem durable enough.
So I went on to learn how to sew by hand, using two needles simultaneously, technique that required a lot of time and atteniton, but finally gave me the effect I was after.

Next challenge was to figure out a way to prevent leather from cramping and keep the headband comfortable, as that was my number one priority.
To achieve that, over the process of trial and error I decided it will be best to partition the memory foam - and the effect of that exceeded my expectations. It now looked like a delicious chocolate bar and leather padded with foam wouldn't cramp.

"Well done me" I thought, and for a few weeks I happily used it with my headphones, and often touched it just because it felt so soft and amazing to squeeze it a bit (top part is also padded with thiner, denser adhesive foam), but despite the fact it was much more comfortable than any other I used, it was still lacking something, and still after few hours of wearing there would be a feeling of discomfort.
So I decided it has to be better, and that meant more leather and more foam. SOFTER, WIDER!
Chanting viking battle hymns and communist worker anthems I designed and crafted a really fat beast, here's how it looks compared to his older brother.

What a pig.

For a moment I was afraid that it might be a bit too much in terms of looks and will overwhelm the headphone, but thankfully it didn't. It looks amazing, and it's even 1 or 2 grams lighter than the stock headband I had. To complete that combo it fully delivered on the matter of comfort - it's like wearing a comfy pillow on your head. So "well done me" this time for real.
Here's how it looks on a pair of fully customized SR325.

One last thing. Even though I love leather, I love animals too, so I wanted to find leather from local source that meets EU laws on animal treatment, instead of ordering it over the internet, and that was probably the hardest part of my research. I managed to do that, and while I was doing it, I decided to have all my materials sourced locally to make it 100% EU made (nearly 100% made in Poland, but couldn't get all my materials/tools inside the country), so now I can sleep calm that no child labor was involved in this and Polish economy will flourish thanks to pumping my few pennies in it.

That's all folks, let me know what you think! Is there a way to make it better?

Cheers!

Sep 16, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #3 of 12
That AKG Q701 headband  looks interesting indeed. Are those bumps soft? Maybe they are meant to massage your head? :D
Thankfully it looks easy enough to make a customized one at home, so good luck to you. Share results!

Sep 17, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #5 of 12
nice work!

@novice Lol! you need some exclamation points on your comment above! 
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #7 of 12
TL;DR: So I took my time making the headband I'm not very proud of. I guess I'll do my 325, I'm sure I'll do better the second time.

I did not note how you did it so I didn't do it exactly how you wrap the edge of top band instead of the bottom band - which imo is the better way so you didn't show the rough edge, both edges that visible are all smooth round edges. I'll do it like that next time.  

Although, I used two different kinds of leather, the top side is a fairly thick full grain so I couldn't wrap the edge of the top band anyway, but [size=1em]I did put tragacanth and slicked my edge, even coated it[/size][size=1em].[/size]

[size=1em]Anyway, why did I decided to do two-tone - that's because I have spare brown lamb skin that matches the rosewood cups and the tape mods - more accurately - lambskin mods. [/size]
What did I stuff inside the bumps - squishy foam, very soft and... squishy. I know I overdid the stuffing but yeah I'll do better next time. 

Yes there'll be next time. I think I'll do my 325 and Q701 I'm definitely getting rid of them bumps.

How it stands in my (incomplete) collection (a few others are scattered around the house) and, of course, the clutters.

Ok now I gotta get back to life...

EDIT: explaining the tape lambskin mod.

Oct 1, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #8 of 12
@novice, did you do any headbands before? Because if that's your first one, it looks like something you should be proud of, solid work!
But I think thick, full grain leather is a bit too overwhelming for Grado delicate design - this headband would look much better on Audeze or some HiFiMANs.
Also you can try to make it more narrow on the edges near rodblocks, so it fits their width, I think they are around 2,5 cm (1 inch) wide, but the metal rod doesn't go inside the rodblock in the middle of it, so you need to take that into account.
Otherwise it looks very nice. Did you sew it by hand or on the sewing machine?
And the most important question, is it comfortable? Because it looks like it, and its look reminds me of a very old and comfy leather chair, you know, the one that would be in your grandpa's house forever... :D

Oct 2, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #9 of 12
No, this is my first. Thank you for kind words but really I'm not really proud of it, still feels crude and not really up to the standard of refinement I expected. 

Yeah I think full grain leather is too thick and kind of gave it a "rough around the edges" feeling. But I don't plan to redo it - I plan to do another one to my 325e. But this time no bumps, one long strip of squishies and no full-grain but all black lambskin. Will do it like yours, rounded edge on top.

It was hand-sewn and yes it is very soft and plush, very comfortable like grandpa's couch with warm milk and cookies, and his ever-soothing smile and kindness 
smile.gif

Dec 28, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #10 of 12
Very nice!

Sep 3, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #12 of 12
Wow, much apologies. I saw your post back in April, meant to reply and then totally forgot.
The tutorial you linked is fairly good and with a lot of useful info, but mostly for thick leather. With thin and delicate one you don't need a groover for instance.
I learned all by myself by looking how stock Grado headband and other headbands are made, then tearing some of them apart to see what's inside and then improving on the original design.

Most important advice I can give you is to get proper set of tools and materials, because initially I tried crafting with whatever I had at hand and it was just plain frustrating and annoying.

So if you want to sew a headband similar to mine I'd recommend getting a sharp precision knife or scalpel and a cutting mat, and a set of leather punches (rubber hammer is a good idea too). In terms of materials, I recommend getting thin and flexible leather, no more than 1 mm thick, then memory foam, some material to stiffen the headband up (i.e. thin sheet of plastic). Once you have the right materials and tools, it isn't very difficult. Just requires patience and caution, like all crafts.
Hope this helps, and sorry I didn't get back to you earlier!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back