My strange experience with earbuds (Pixel Buds Pro)
Nov 27, 2023 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

pongraider

New Head-Fier
Hi there!

I just want to share my experience and see if any of you have had something similar happen, to know if it's real or if I'm totally hallucinating.

I own a Plantronics BackBeat Pro 2 and a Bose QuietComfort 35 II. Last year, I got a pair of Pixel Buds Pro after changing my smartphone and I've been wearing them non-stop ever since. Their ease of use really appealed to me.

Apart from some very unpleasant high-pitched noises when adjusting them, I didn't notice any particular problems and was quite satisfied with these earbuds.

However, this week, while eating, I noticed that moving my jaw triggered this high-pitched sound sometimes. It annoyed me a bit, so I decided to switch back to my QC35... and I was blown away by the difference in sound quality. I was amazed and now find the Pixel Buds Pro terrible. It feels like I'm enclosed with them. It's not that the sound is bad, but it's as if it has less room to express itself. So I don't want to wear them at all anymore. I can't believe I accepted such quality for months. At home, I have a DT797, which is my usual PC headset, and I could tell the difference but I always thought that was normal. However, I didn't notice such a big difference between the earbuds and the wireless headphones before, which is quite disturbing.

Can anyone confirm that I'm not hallucinating? That the earbuds really are of poor quality compared to the QC35? Has anyone else experienced something like this? Or maybe it's just a normal difference between earbuds and headphones.

Thanks for your help, and also, first post here, so hello everyone :)

Nov 28, 2023 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 2
The way the sound stage is presented is quite different between in ears and headphones, maybe that's what you are experiencing? You describe you feel enclosed with the Pixels, which makes me think this is the issue, and not related to tonal balance.
The (few) IEM's I've heard, are not able to produce a sound stage like headphones and speaker can do, so the sound it much more "inside your head" for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back