My sisters laptop constantly disconnects my internet connection...
Jun 6, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, you could try resetting both your modem and the router. Simply unplug them for a few minutes then hook them back up.

Definately doesnt work, had this issue ever since my sister got her laptop.

As for setting different IP's for both laptops, why would it be that it is only her laptop that is causing the problems? My other sister runs XP, and my mum runs Vista on her new laptop and they both work fine. Stupid Sony.

I geuss ill look over the IP stuff soon.

Thanks for all the input guys

Jun 6, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhatMACHI /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As for setting different IP's for both laptops, why would it be that it is only her laptop that is causing the problems? My other sister runs XP, and my mum runs Vista on her new laptop and they both work fine. Stupid Sony.

maybe the problem is the adpter of sony laptop itself

Jun 7, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhatMACHI /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just a quick thought, is the router wireless, and is it enabled? I know you said your running wired, but if the router is wireless and it's enabled most new Notebooks come with wireless built in, and with XP SP2 and Vista there is "Wireless Zero Configuration" that could be causing a DHCP conflict.

If that isn't the problem then I would go ahead and setup static IP addresses in the router, then setup each computer with the IP addresses default gateways, and DNS servers. I personally prefer hardwiring the network info as opposed to using DHCP.

Jun 7, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #22 of 23
Wow , is this issue still ongoing?

Again , IP conflicts will NOT cause "network cable unplugged"
You would get Limit (or no) connectivity.

"network cable unplugged" will show up if the router "freaks out"
and resets.

Vista is probably not the issue either.
It's actual pretty good regarding internet connectivity.

Jun 7, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #23 of 23
If you sister's laptop gets that unplugged message too then it might be something with her laptop crashing the router/switch and the router resetting itself. Have you tried the latest firmware on the router and latest drivers for the wired LAN on your sister's laptop? With the IP conflict, you can check the IP address of each computer using "ipconfig" on the command line. I do not believe it can be an IP conflict though since Windows would most likely tell you one exists and you and your sister would not be able to browse the internet as there would be two MAC addresses associated with the same IP on your router and that is not allowed. So it goes back to a bad router which can't handle something it should. Have you tried searching for others with the Sony laptop and router and if they have issues too? Is your sister secretly disconnecting your computer to piss you off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back