My sisters laptop constantly disconnects my internet connection...
Jun 4, 2007 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

WhatMACHI

500+ Head-Fier
Well my sister got a new Sony laptop running Vista. And for some strange reason whenever she plugs into the router, my computer CONSTANTLY gets "network cable unplugged". Its so every few minutes my internet/network connection will disconnect, and will have to reconnect which is DAM annoying if im downloading, playing games or just browsing the net.

Anyone have any ideas why it's doing this? And im 100% sure its her laptop that is causing the disconnects, since all my other family member's computers dont do this when they plug into the router.

Jun 4, 2007 at 11:07 AM Post #3 of 23
Yup no matter what cables we are using or the order we connect it will still happen.

Bottom line. If her laptop is plugged in, it will disconnect the network connection for any other computer plugged in every now and then.

Jun 4, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 23
Wait-are both of the computers wired to the router, or is someone connected via wifi?

Honestly, it sounds like your router can't handle all those connections and is dropping the other computers to compensate. What router are you currently using? It might be time for a new one.

Jun 4, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #5 of 23
That's weird.

If none of the other pc's cause this issue then It's most likly a an issue with the laptop. If youv'e tried different ports and swapped the ethernet cable she's using and made sure the laptop is set for dynamic ip then check to make sure she's not running any p2p programs with lots of open connections that could flood the network?

Jun 4, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #6 of 23
Im pretty sure its not the router.

There are only ever 2 computers connected at one time (only have two cables hahaha)

4 laptops in the family, mine perma connected, my mum and two sisters connect their laptop when they need internet. Whenever the sony laptop connects, i drop straight away then continue to drop now and then.

Strange thing is the computer is basically stock standard. I dont think there should be any programs running to make my computer lose a connection to the router. Even if she were draining the bandwidth, it still shouldnt mean my computer should disconnect.

Only thing i can think of is Vista and the cheapy router we have.

Jun 4, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #8 of 23
Check both of your network settings - would both of you (for some reason or another) have identical MAC addresses or IP addresses? The former should be impossible, as every network device should have a unique IP address, but the latter might. Check and make sure both of your machines are getting their IP addresses through DHCP. Also make sure that neither of your laptops is trying to do something like be the domain controller.

With only two computers there's no reason why the router can't handle the traffic.

Jun 4, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by atsang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
some cheap crappy routers can't handle multiple connections without crapping out or requiring a restart. Def check the IP, and maybe a ping test?

From my experience, DLINK routers are notorious for dropping wifi connections.
What brand and model is yours?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back