My Shure SE846 suck!?
Jan 27, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #16 of 26
I ran my SE846 from an iPhone, the Chord Mojo and then the Cayin N6ii. In all cases they sounded really good. Playing around with the ear tips also makes a difference to the sound. Straight out the box they didn’t seem fully grown but after some burn in / brain burn, they seemed to open up.

Cable wise it depends what you want to spend. I agree the stock cable is meh! I tried pairing them with Effect Audio Eros II, Thor Silver II and Lionheart. For me the best pairing was the Thor Silver II. The SE846 seemed to like silver.

Jan 27, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #17 of 26
Can’t comment on the 846, but the 535 gets a good bit better with proper amplification. I also prefer cables without memory wire, though I get along OK with the ones that do. I do wear the cable doen the back of my neck and not the chin, as this provides a much better fit with all IEMs for me. I never wear them down the front.

Jan 27, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #18 of 26
Can’t comment on the 846, but the 535 gets a good bit better with proper amplification.

This.

Very true for the 846. Many people don't understand that it's a princess IEM. Needs a proper source to sound like it should.

Jan 27, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #19 of 26
As a longtime SE315 user, who always needed to EQ them to sound right, I love the SE846. I just used the same tip size that I did on the 315, and the middle filter. I'm generally feeding them out of either a Mojo or a Gungnir/Jotunheim, and they sound great with either. I haven't tried directly out of an iPod or my phone for comparison.

Feb 3, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #20 of 26
May I ask which spinfit did you use? I'm looking for 1 for my 846 too.

Yeah, which spinfit tips please? Also any recommendations for a good soft floppy cable? I can't cope with this silly stiff cable. It drives me nuts!

Probably the Spinfit CP800. I don't have the SE846 but I have them on my SE535s (still going strong since 2012) and my SE425s, which I am now unfortunately looking to replace since the casing has somehow developed a crack and scratches at my ear. I used to only use the foam tips but switched to the CP 800 once I started using them more at the office where I have to constantly take them out of my ear. I am thinking of picking up the SE846 now and will probably put the Spinfits on them once I do. I've been using Spinfits on most of my IEMs and TWS and they have been great.

Feb 3, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #22 of 26
Sell the shure 846, paired it with mojo but once i heard the legend x, could NEVER go back. Bought for around £700, sold it for £480 2 years ago.

I would agree that if you like bass, then once you hear the Legend X it is difficult to go back. The downside to this is that the SE846 and the Legend X are in very different price brackets. We are comparing £700 to £2,300. As much as I like the SE846, I did exactly as you mentioned above and sold them. I then put the funds towards the Legend X. I have not looked back.

Feb 3, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #24 of 26
As for the cable I suggest you try Xelento's remote cable. Has a built-in microphone and doesn't have memory wires. Warning: it MIGHT not have a good grip with SE846's MMCX connectors, so double-check that before buying.

I have not heard SE846 so can't comment on a proper source but it seems you want to use it with your phone (because of the mic). Why not use something like Meizu's HiFi Pro dongle, Razer's THX dongle or Creative's SXFI Amp (as these support the CTIA standard which lets you use the mic). Also use Poweramp with Hi-Res output and DVC (Direct Volume Control) to have finer and higher-quality control on the volume.
Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #25 of 26
You need at least 99% seal to properly enjoy the SE846's. I can't stress this enough.

If you look on here my first post was me saying how crap the SE846's sound vs the SE535LTDJ (Japanese limited edition) which I lost and which I combined with custom sleeves made by ACS. SE846's were underwhelming especially for the given price. I wanted to get custom sleeves as I did with my 535's but the only people who can do properly fitting sleeves (ACS) stopped doing them and the other people I tried were amateurs, even though they had good reviews, clearly from people who don't know what a top quality sleeve feels like.

I was close to selling them when I decided to try the included foam tips, and that was an EUREKA moment. With foams they sounded blissfully good. They were so good I forgot about 535's and custom sleeves. The only issue with foams is the pain of putting them in.
After 3-4 months I decided to try silicone tips including Spin Fits but the ones that blew me away were the Westone Star Tips. Sound signature got brighter compared with foams and the isolation wasn't 100%, more like 99% but I use silicone tips gel and it works fine.

I've had them for 2.5 years now and I still love them. I do change to foams every now and then.

Feb 4, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #26 of 26
You need at least 99% seal to properly enjoy the SE846's. I can't stress this enough.

If you look on here my first post was me saying how crap the SE846's sound vs the SE535LTDJ (Japanese limited edition) which I lost and which I combined with custom sleeves made by ACS. SE846's were underwhelming especially for the given price. I wanted to get custom sleeves as I did with my 535's but the only people who can do properly fitting sleeves (ACS) stopped doing them and the other people I tried were amateurs, even though they had good reviews, clearly from people who don't know what a top quality sleeve feels like.

I was close to selling them when I decided to try the included foam tips, and that was an EUREKA moment. With foams they sounded blissfully good. They were so good I forgot about 535's and custom sleeves. The only issue with foams is the pain of putting them in.
After 3-4 months I decided to try silicone tips including Spin Fits but the ones that blew me away were the Westone Star Tips. Sound signature got brighter compared with foams and the isolation wasn't 100%, more like 99% but I use silicone tips gel and it works fine.

I've had them for 2.5 years now and I still love them. I do change to foams every now and then.

Spot on, 100% agree. Its the first thing Head-fi members mention when somebody says "My xx IEM sounds rubbish" dismiss checking that you have a good seal with any IEM at your own peril.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back