My Shure SE846 suck!?
Dec 3, 2019 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

raid517

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I have been wanting to get these for years, but I just didn't have the money to fork out on another set of IEMs, for quite a long time. But anyway my first impressions? Really? I don't see what all the fuss is about.I'm sure I've heard $30 headphones that sound almost as good. The mids are thin and fractured and the bass only really punches in if you ram them with your fingers and hold them deep inside your ears. Not particularly practical. Bear in mind I'm considerably older now than when I got my first set of IEM's and I'm a recovering Earphone audiophile and it's been several years since I last jumped down this particular rabbit hole. (As my post history should demonstrate).

But that aside, the most infuriating thing about these earbuds is the cables. I'm constantly fighting with them to twist them back over my ears.and I look like a dork with the cables sticking out over the top of my ears. Sure I can tighten them until the little toggle sits just under my chin, but then I just look as much of a dork as I did before.

I guess I'm going to persist with them for now, or maybe they will just get thrown aside and forgotten about, but what would make life a lot better would be if I could get some good quality soft (as in floppy) cable that doesn't cost the earth, just as almost every other earbuds on the planet. Maybe I will grow to love the 846's over time, but being older and somewhat more cranky now, comfort is my number 1 priority and fighting with cables, or looking like a dork on the street, just for maybe a decibel or two of better sound isn't for me.

Does anyone know of a viable remedy please? I live in the UK btw.

Dec 3, 2019 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 26
My first comments are:

1) What are you running them out of? The SE846 are very low impedance and need a source to match.
2) Agree on the cable; Shure's memory wire is a faux pas. Prefer no memory wire at all personally. MMCX has tons of options are there. Easy to find another cable that suits your preferences, without breaking the bank either.

I, like a lot of people, thought the SE846 were underwhelming at first listen. They open up with the adequate source. You saying the mids are "thin and fractured" are an indication that something's wrong. The mids are the best part of the SE846, in my opinion.

Dec 10, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #4 of 26
Hi, I have been wanting to get these for years, but I just didn't have the money to fork out on another set of IEMs, for quite a long time. But anyway my first impressions? Really? I don't see what all the fuss is about.I'm sure I've heard $30 headphones that sound almost as good. The mids are thin and fractured and the bass only really punches in if you ram them with your fingers and hold them deep inside your ears. Not particularly practical. Bear in mind I'm considerably older now than when I got my first set of IEM's and I'm a recovering Earphone audiophile and it's been several years since I last jumped down this particular rabbit hole. (As my post history should demonstrate).

But that aside, the most infuriating thing about these earbuds is the cables. I'm constantly fighting with them to twist them back over my ears.and I look like a dork with the cables sticking out over the top of my ears. Sure I can tighten them until the little toggle sits just under my chin, but then I just look as much of a dork as I did before.

I guess I'm going to persist with them for now, or maybe they will just get thrown aside and forgotten about, but what would make life a lot better would be if I could get some good quality soft (as in floppy) cable that doesn't cost the earth, just as almost every other earbuds on the planet. Maybe I will grow to love the 846's over time, but being older and somewhat more cranky now, comfort is my number 1 priority and fighting with cables, or looking like a dork on the street, just for maybe a decibel or two of better sound isn't for me.

Maybe try a silver cable to brighten them up a little. The mids are awesome but the highs are a bit recessed.

Dec 10, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #6 of 26
gave 846 to my wife i went with noble encore. one does need a good source like a hugo or something. oh ditch the cable i went with double helix hybrid

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #12 of 26
You don't want much do you. :) I was going to suggest the Fiio LC-3.5D cable but it doesn't have a microphone, so that one is out.

Oh common fella, lol. Inline remotes have been a thing since the last 15 or more years. Maybe I've found something on eBay that could work. I don't know yet for sure.

But this is memory cable too right? I would prefer just normal looking soft floppy black cable that's soft and flexible, like the very standard seeming cable that came with my Shure 535's several years back. But I suspect you are right and nothing like this exists.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #13 of 26

You know this game. It’s not just the IEMs but all the ancillary gear. Get a balanced DAP. Some kind of 4.4mm cable. Play with tips and slowly acclimate to them. Many times we think we have fit when we don’t. But after our minds adjust to a new IEM, at times the least exciting sound, at first, ends up the keeper. Good luck.

Jan 27, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #14 of 26
If you want a soft supple IEM cable, I would recommend ALO cables. I’m using several ALO cables and I like them a lot. Only down side is they don’t have a microphone. If I must use a Microphone, I do use a Shure Remote Mic Universal Cable with SE215. However the Shure universal cable does come with memory wire that you need to mold/shape for your ears.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #15 of 26
Oh common fella, lol. Inline remotes have been a thing since the last 15 or more years. Maybe I've found something on eBay that could work. I don't know yet for sure.

But this is memory cable too right? I would prefer just normal looking soft floppy black cable that's soft and flexible, like the very standard seeming cable that came with my Shure 535's several years back. But I suspect you are right and nothing like this exists.

Inline remotes are so early 2000's, and often just don't work in my experience.

How about really getting modern and getting one of the many Bluetooth headphone amps like the excellent Fiio BTR5, then you can either plug your se846 into it directly for great quality sound or plug the se846 directly into the phone or DAP you are using, set the audio path to the phone's O/P and use the BTR5 as a very compact wireless remote to control your music.

You don't need an inline remote at all and you can buy any suitable cable you like.

Bluetooth first appeared in 2001 FYI. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back