My Sharp MD-MT821 is having problems.
Aug 1, 2002 at 1:21 PM Post #46 of 57
I received an R909 myself just a couple days ago. This is definitely the stop point for Sony...the rest just went downhill afterwards (except for the new R910 which is basically a R909 with N1 battery life). The large three line screen was a nice surprise coming from Sony, who traditionally used much thinner screens then Sharp. Sound quality is the usual stepped bass/treble, nothing new there. I'm digging it definitely...it goes right in with my Sharp 831/821/722 and Sony R50/E900/E95 now.

Looks like my N707 needs a new home now...

Aug 1, 2002 at 2:41 PM Post #48 of 57
I was listening to this somewhat portable system this morning on the train and thought things sounded very good.

Sharp MD-ST77 --> Grado interconnect --> Meta42 --> Audio Technica ATH-W100 -->
smily_headphones1.gif

I was listening to a MD I made from the Sarah McLachlan "Mirrorball" DVD. The sound was full and rich with plenty of top end detail and the bass was excellent(set the Sharp to +1 bass). Maybe I'll try a Sony R909 someday.

Aug 1, 2002 at 2:46 PM Post #49 of 57
A little salute to Vertigo-1 for doing what so few of us can--looking a flame in the face and backing off. Wow. You really deserve the respected venerated reputation you have here on head-fi.

Aug 1, 2002 at 6:40 PM Post #50 of 57
Yes - the EX70's are perfect for the Sony MD's. I back off the bass and add a little treble - something that you can't do with a Sharp.

They sound practically normal - it's only if you slap on something like the KSC's in a quiet room that you fume "EX70's suck!" but wearing them for extended periods with the EQ, you don't notice anything bad.

But, I find headphones more convenient than earbuds (mucho twiddling to get them on and off, especially the isolating ones like the EX70), clipons (arrrgh) and aside from the KSC-55, there isn't a street style headphone worth a damn and they're all open anyway... So I shall continue my hunt for the perfect closed low-power headphone for use with the Sharps...

Aug 1, 2002 at 7:39 PM Post #51 of 57
Magicthyse, I think you're destined to invest in a set of ER-4P's.

They're the only headphones that seemed to solve all my little annoyances that existed with my other cans. If I had bought them, initially, I'd have no reason to get anything else except a good pair of low-impedance, over-the-head cans like my D22SL Eggos.

Aug 2, 2002 at 4:39 AM Post #52 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
I personally find the Sharp 'flat' sound to be suited to most music.

The funny thing is that Sony MD units actually have a more "flat" (accurate) headphone jack. Sharp EQs their headphone jacks to be a bit "warmer" -- they have a bit less treble, and a bit more midbass and bass than Sony units.

Aug 2, 2002 at 6:26 AM Post #54 of 57
For me at least, one of the arguments for Sharp's setting was that it's simpler. Yes it may not be really "flat" (who is?), but I'm satisfied with that one setting enough on most headphones. I don't need to go in and change it for the EX70, for the 888, for the MX500.

If we all know how to take them apart and tweak/hack the individual settings the way some of us DIY, we probably won't have any of this brand thing going on. Meanwhile, some of the reasons suggested for picking one over another just don't convince me.

In the end it's all a muddle (don't hurt me sir Dickens), and I've lost most of my desire to speak up because of that. You can't go hailing a press release, assume your solution is the world's solution, or call a heated exchange an educational, enjoyable debate, because it's not going to become that. *sigh*

P.S. Anyone heard the Panasonic MR250 yet? I read some Japanese owners' comments and they reported of some hissing (like the CT790).

P.S.S. The above comments are not intended for everyone who's posted here. Moderators, feel free to delete this.

Aug 2, 2002 at 6:50 AM Post #55 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

The funny thing is that Sony MD units actually have a more "flat" (accurate) headphone jack. Sharp EQs their headphone jacks to be a bit "warmer" -- they have a bit less treble, and a bit more midbass and bass than Sony units.

That's very true. I also found it very difficult to try to match the 'flat' (thats why I said 'flat') sound with the Sony EQ for the volume test - the bass goes from 'not really there' to 'boom' in about two segments!

Aug 2, 2002 at 9:24 AM Post #56 of 57
Quote:

Originally posted by leon
P.S. Anyone heard the Panasonic MR250 yet? I read some Japanese owners' comments and they reported of some hissing (like the CT790).

Can't comment on the MR250, but the older MR200 has no hiss I'm aware of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back