My Sennheiser PX100s broke. :( New ideas?
Apr 11, 2007 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

o-z0ne

New Head-Fier
I have the worst luck with headphones. Up until last year, I had spent my money, month after month on cheap new in-ear headphones that I could get at walmart for as little as possible. I was fed up with the extremely low quality of the build and the sound. But, the headphones themselves weren't breaking - it was the cord. It would always have a short in it, or it would come out.

So, I logged onto our (somewhat) to-be-trusted internet to find what headphones were right for me. I stumbled on head-fi in September, and after hours of reading reviews I decided that the Px100's were right for me.

I must say that I love them, or loved them up until today.
To shorten my story:
IMG_0286.jpg

This is what's left on the connector of my px100's.

It happens with every headphone I have ever owned.
So, I've decided I want to (dangerously) attempt to move up one step further in the portable headphone world.

I was wondering what headphones I have to choose from in the 50-150 dollar range, that are durable enough to withstand a beating, while still giving quality sound. I think the best route to take for me is one that has replaceable parts, and if I must move my price range up a little (hard for a college student) I will.

Currently, I listen to all types of music, ranging from classical, baroque, jazz, metal, pop, indie rock, and hip hop. Although, I would say the most played bands would focus around Nine Inch Nails, Modest Mouse, Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, Tv on the Radio, Air, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Any hit from the 90s, and 80's pop rock.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give, as I know (and have read through) many of these topics before. And, if you have an idea for me outside my price range, and you think it's the only way I can go, list that too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #2 of 14
how the hell was it CUT off?! or did you do that yourself? o.o

koss products have a lifetime warranty. try the ksc75s. ~$20 or less

dont spend anymore until you hear them first

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #3 of 14
Sennheiser HD25-1. Replaceable cords that are easily swapped.

Use the provided steel cables until you ruin them.. then use that as an excuse to upgrade to Sennheiser OFC cables.

The AKG K240 and K271 also come into mind.. not sure which one has the replaceable cords, though, if either does.

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 14
for ~150 bucks you are into the hd580 range

i'm not sure how much the 595's cost, and i also don't know if they have a replacable cable, but they would be better unamped, from what i've heard, than the 580s.

I will recommend you a used pair of Grado SR225s, they can be easily found on ebay/head-fi for ~150 bucks.

good luck~ and sorry to hear about your phones

Apr 11, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #5 of 14
The 595s don't have a replaceable cable but the 580s do. Grados are great but the cables are not replaceable as well, unless you're into DIY, which makes it pretty easy...kinda. I recommend the HD25-1's as well! Check this out if you want more info. If you're cheap, you can aim for the HD25-SP...the link explains the differences.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=72883

Apr 11, 2007 at 9:34 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by o-z0ne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the worst luck with headphones. Up until last year, I had spent my money, month after month on cheap new in-ear headphones that I could get at walmart for as little as possible. I was fed up with the extremely low quality of the build and the sound. But, the headphones themselves weren't breaking - it was the cord. It would always have a short in it, or it would come out.

I think it's best that we first determine if the way you handle the phones contributes to their breaking (and at such an alarming rate). How do you generally handle your phones?

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 10:29 AM Post #8 of 14
Doh! I saw this post just after ordering some px100s. I did see some in an Apple store that looked pretty beaten up, but then all the headphones there did. With hundreds (thousands?) of people using them per day, I guess that's to be expected.

Apr 11, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #9 of 14
The HD580s have a replaceable cable, are in your price range and plays most of your music quite well. The stock cable is pretty delicate though.

Another phone that plays much of your music but is more oriented towards rock with a more forward presentation but which has a good tough, though not-replaceable, cable, is the Alessandro MS-1. They play all music well except for the really big classical pieces.

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #10 of 14
Mine broke in EXACTLY the same way. Shouldn't be too hard to fix though, just solder a connector back to the wire.

I'd recommend KSC75, sounds better than PX100 and has a life time warranty. Make sure you save the receipt.

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #11 of 14
I kept them in the case for the most part. About a month or so ago the cord started showing, so I wrapped some electric tape in hopes of saving myself from it tearing like this.

Generally I walk with the px100's hooked up to my zune which is in my pants pocket. I walk about 200-500 yards across campus every day, and up about 6 or more flights of stairs. When I'm not listening to them I put them back in the case that came with the headphones. I've taken fairly good care of them, so I guess it's my walking with it in my pocket that's breaking the cord?

I never throw them in my bag. If I had to I'd leave them around my neck all day, and put the cord..in my pocket.

I think right now I'm looking at the HD580 and the HD25-1's.
Wish I could find the HD25-1 for less than 200!
biggrin.gif

Any more suggestions on what I need to do better, and what other options I have? I'm going to look into the HD580's when I come back, but how do they compare to the 25-1's?

As for the soldering, I don't have much experience in it, but when I go home in two weeks I'm going to see what my dad can do. If not, I have someone who wants the parts already. Just wondering, wouldn't soldering a new connector to the wire degrade the sound quality?

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #13 of 14
I have a similar question. My PX100 works fine, and nothing's damaged quite yet, but having a portable closed phone has its advantages. Does the Senn HD25 have a price point that matches the other portable in SQ? These seem to be the two main players in this discussion.

Apr 11, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by o-z0ne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the soldering, I don't have much experience in it, but when I go home in two weeks I'm going to see what my dad can do. If not, I have someone who wants the parts already. Just wondering, wouldn't soldering a new connector to the wire degrade the sound quality?

Well, if you want to go that route, I and the other folks in the DIY forum would be more than happy to help you reterminate the cable with a new plug.

It won't degrade the sound quality if the solder joints are good. For that you'll need some solder flux and some patience.

The annoying part is the fact that you can't walk into a radioshack and get a plug worth having. This is a real shame, all they sell in headphone plugs is junk and gold-electroplate junk. Weirdly enough they have some good (in a pinch) RF connectors and RCA connectors.

If only they could be convinced to carry the Neutrik NYS product line at a hefty markup! I wouldn't mind paying $4.50 for an $0.81 NYS212 if i needed one Right That Second. Instead all they have to offer is an $0.12 POS for $2.50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back