My search for headphones is over... for now
Dec 3, 2012 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BowlOfPhotos

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Two things:

1. I'm glad I've finally had a chance to make my first post. Been swamped with work, photography, and since it's the holiday season, shopping as well. 

2. My search for headphones has finally ended for the time being! I'm, for better or for worse, spectacularly picky about which pairs of headphones I end up keeping for different purposes.

I've worked in nightlife and event organization for the last seven and a half years, give or take, and along the way picked up a taste for high quality audio. I started off collecting IEMs which served the purpose of traveling with me when space was limited very well.

Recently, I decided that I'd delve deeper in to DJing as I'm constantly surrounded by DJs and producers when working. I figure it's something I'd do for fun on the side as opposed to trying to pursue as a career of any sort. I'm an event photographer focusing primarily on electronic music events so to try and also really pick up DJing to generate revenue would spread me too thin, I imagine.

My goal, with this post, is to hopefully help out some of the people who are currently searching for headphones that warrant their hard earned cash.

Here's the list of headphones I've tried out over the last several months:

1. Pioneer HDJ-2000 in both silver and black (Just a cosmetic difference between the two)
2. Pioneer HDJ-1500
3. Xone XD-53
4. Xone XD2-52
5. Aiaiai TMA-1
6. Aiaiai TMA-1 Studio
7. Sennheiser HD25-1 ii
8. Sennheiser Amperior
9. AKG K550
10. Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
11. Beyerdynamic DT1350
12. Dr. Dre Beats Pro
13. Shure SRH-940
14. Audio Technica ATH-M50
15. Ultrasone DJ1 Pro

Yup. 15 pairs of headphones, and I know I'm forgetting one or two of them, in probably the last three or four months, and that's just the on or over ear varieties. Yeah, it was pretty nuts but I'm glad I got to give them all a whirl.

Anyways, the ones I ended up settling with today were the Beyerdynamic DT1350s. I listed all the ones that I'd tried so that for those of you still looking I could perhaps help with some opinions of their sound, fit, and finish.

Dec 3, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #2 of 5
Congratulations! The 1350s are really nice. I auditioned them and if I had the cash lying around, they'd be home with me now!

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks! The only nitpick I have with them, despite being more comfortable over long periods than just about any other pair of headphones, is that the tops of the arms that adjust poke in against my noggin after a while. It's not even the clamping force overall that I find to be unpleasant. It's literally just the little nubs at the top of the arms that the headphones are attached to. I'm sure I'll figure something out to alleviate that sensation.

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #4 of 5
Haha, that's an insane list to have gone through.

Cool to hear.

I used to DJ quite a bit and produce a bit. I'm also into photography and have done some at clubs, mainly shooting DSLR video though just for a bit of fun.

The headphones I used to use for DJing were Technics RPDJ1200s. Built like absolute tanks, and with great isolation and ergonomics. I still own them but never use them. There were headphones I came across with better sound and looks, but I know some pro DJs who tour a lot who still use these technics for the reasons I just mentioned. They have a MEGA clamp too though.

Anyway, I just bought some DT1350 as well, and I can see why you chose them above all others. They're the best sounding pro/portable/DJ headphone I've ever heard. Nowadays most DJs seem to use HD25s or TMA-1 (probably because they're boring and trying to fit in and think they look cool 'caus they're clean and black). But I think the DT1350s have the looks to go along with their sound too!

So anyway, good work & congrats! GL with the producing! Its something I want to get back into too, just spend all my time animating as that's my chosen creative field for work.. (motion graphics)

Dec 5, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #5 of 5
Yeah, the level of detail that the DT1350s can produce is pretty awesome.

In addition to the DT1350, I've also added the Sennheiser Amperior and Sennheiser Momentum to my collection. More headphones than what I know what to do with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back