My RS-1 is telling me...
Sep 26, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #16 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
Agreed, the Grado RS1 should be thought of as another $350 headphone. Different flavour than the Senn 650, AKG 701 and Beyer 990 but certainly not better. Actually on my rig, the Senn and AKG are technically stronger.

I'm going to go with Audiofiler here and disagree. It depends on what you throw at it. Maybe it's the Mapletree which is known for it's synergy with the RS-1, but the RS-1 absolutely kills the HD-650 when the music gets more active. In my opinion there is no competition between the RS-1 and HD-650 or Beyer 990 when it comes to instruments with strings, the Grado's display them so much more convincing. I'm not that familiar with say violins, but having a dad that builds guitars as a hobby helped me convince that the RS-1 is king in displaying a guitar. I really don't doubt that the same goes for other string based instruments. Together with it's intimacy (though missing soundstage) it's very hard to beat.

It may be a different flavour, but the RS-1 is alot better for certain music styles, rock in particular. For slow jazz or classic music I would pick the HD-650 or DT990, but for all else (bar electronica), the RS-1 is my main pick. This is from hearing the HD-650 on a Firestone Cute, a Laconic EC-01, and a Mapletree Ear+ HD. I only heard the DT990 on the Firestone Cute.

I haven't heard K701 yet though, looking forward to hearing it sometime. I could be way offbbase here and the K701 might be better than the RS-1, but I doubt it will entertain me so much as the RS-1.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2006 at 7:33 PM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
Because of the price tag (OF COURSE!).
rolleyes.gif

lol cmon, there's no need to state the obvious. Many people associate price with sound quality, that's obviously the largest pitfall in audio (and many other things). But some people do perceive them to be technically better, not because of the price.

Sep 26, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
lol cmon, there's no need to state the obvious. Many people associate price with sound quality, that's obviously the largest pitfall in audio (and many other things). But some people do perceive them to be technically better, not because of the price.

Yes, my comment was supposed to be sarcastic. I find it dumb to associate price and SQ when we're talking about Grado headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back