My RS-1 is telling me...
Sep 25, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 18
to cancel my order for a K701. Should I listen?
580smile.gif

Sep 25, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by vberch
to cancel my order for a K701. Should I listen?
580smile.gif

Yes... Use the cash for a source upgrade. Heck do both... upgrade source and then get the 701. Both cans scale up with source upgrades.

IMHO there are things the 701 can do and the RS1 can not, and vise-versa. iMHO it makes sense to have both.

Sep 25, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 18
How did you manage to reply to my post and posted higher than my message?
eek.gif

At first when I got them, I thought the comfort, or lack thereof, was awful. But then I was suggested to bend the band a little bit and it sure did the trick. Now, the bowls are just barely resting on my ears and they are the most comfortable headphones I've ever tried. I cannot say enough good things about them. I just keep repeating: there is noting else I want, there is nothing else I want
580smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by stukovx
man everytime i read a rs-1 thread it makes me want to upgrade my 701's. How is the comfort of those btw?

Sep 25, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by stukovx
man everytime i read a rs-1 thread it makes me want to upgrade my 701's. How is the comfort of those btw?

The comfort isn't good, but the sound makes more than up for it.
Seriously great sounding headphone, especially with guitar and drum music.

Sep 25, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 18
I am currently using a DVD-Audio player, Technics DVD-A10: http://www.audioreview.com/cat/home-...4_1587crx.aspx. Although it is made by Technics
wink.gif
, it is a great CD/DVD-A player and works nicely with my Technics SATX-50: http://www.cinenow.com/us/materiel.php3/tid,1/id,822.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Yes... Use the cash for a source upgrade. Heck do both... upgrade source and then get the 701. Both cans scale up with source upgrades.

IMHO there are things the 701 can do and the RS1 can not, and vise-versa. iMHO it makes sense to have both.

Sep 25, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #8 of 18
I don't know that me piping in here will do anything for you except make the decision harder, but...

I love my K701s and couldn't be happier, but everytime I think of the RS-1s I can't help but think I COULD be happier. Personally, I don't think it's worth getting rid of the 701s for, but the RS-1 is an incredible headphone and I will eventually own it once I can justify replacing my SR225.

Sep 25, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #10 of 18
Agreed, the Grado RS1 should be thought of as another $350 headphone. Different flavour than the Senn 650, AKG 701 and Beyer 990 but certainly not better. Actually on my rig, the Senn and AKG are technically stronger.

Sep 26, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
Agreed, the Grado RS1 should be thought of as another $350 headphone. Different flavour than the Senn 650, AKG 701 and Beyer 990 but certainly not better. Actually on my rig, the Senn and AKG are technically stronger.

I disagree, this phone scales up considerably and its operability and response with certain material warrants their high used and street price from Grado, IMO.
I don't pay retail for Grado cans so it makes no difference to me..

$550-600 is still quite a horrific bargain when paired with the right source and amp..and still a fine get for a forward rock phone...

Sep 26, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
lol, why'd you think the RS-1 is an upgrade to the 701? it certainly is not.
wink.gif

lol still..yeah this is more preference motivated maybe..It is a different presentation all together, and certainly comperable, better, worse by different criterions..agreed. I think the RS-1 is a better phone for my ears and preferences musically, though the K has a more neutralized presentation. The Soundstage is a bit too artificial on the K, and even though there is virtually not one on the RS, its intimacy and articulation of natural instruments and vocals is too sweet to pass up for a few years' as an audition or second can
rs1smile.gif

Sep 26, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
lol, why'd you think the RS-1 is an upgrade to the 701? it certainly is not.
wink.gif

Because of the price tag (OF COURSE!).
rolleyes.gif

Sep 26, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #15 of 18
They are in the same line for me in terms of SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back