My router and DSL modem don't like each other???
Mar 5, 2006 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

seeberg

Headphoneus Supremus
Check it out: I finally got off my butt early last month and got DSL internet for my house. I knew it was going to have to be used by more than one PC or device, so I got an accompanying router with all the necessary hardware(that I know of). Well, I have no idea why, but both the router, a D-Link DI-604, and the DSL modem, an Actiontec GT701-WG(provided by Qwest, which also provided the ISP), work fine. The problem is that if I use them together, they don't work with the regular auto setups the software/hardware provides, meaning that I can't use my router with my modem to connect online. And it's driving me bonkers
mad.gif
I was even on the verge of testing out this tunneling software for game consoles to enable online play through LAN connectivity(see XLink), i.e. Gran Turismo 4, and can't do it until I get this crap sorted out. Any suggestions or ideas? I could sure use some.

580smile.gif
Abe

Mar 5, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #2 of 13
I've been trying to set up my sister-in-law's computers with DSL (through Verizon) and a router, and your situation sounds similar to what I've run into.

I believe I've narrowed the cause. Essentially, the DSL modem needs to be in bridge mode. I still need to contact Verizon to see how this is done as I can't access the modem's web interface.

I suggest you go to Qwest's support page and do a search. That's what I did with Verizon and found out what the conflict was.

Mar 5, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 13
I work in the call centre for an ISP that supplies DSL. There are many different types of DSL that companies will provide customers, and most the time they won't even tell you because it will just confuse you since it's quite technical.

Certain types will work fine with a router without any setup. Some require different settigns to be changed in your computer and router control panel. The best thing to do is contact your ISP. They will know what service you have and should know what to do if you tell them what router model you own.

For example, if I were to try to help you, I have no idea if your DSL is DHCP, Bridged, or PPPoE. I also don't know if they supplied you with a dynamic or static IP address which also requires more setup.

Mar 5, 2006 at 1:55 AM Post #4 of 13
This site has a lot of help for each almost every national provider, and if there is no help immediately in the forums there are many company techs who you can deal with as well for free in a private forum.

I had a problem with my SBC dsl and after hours on the phone being asked if I tried unplugging and re-plugging my modem in, I found this site and needless to say it worked.

Mar 5, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #6 of 13
Hmmm, I tried a few things last night, and nothing's worked so far. I think perhaps I'm missing some part of the translation (I have major troubles understanding 'network speak')?
I tried changing the settings of the router and the modem when connected via their IP addresses when connected, and have not yet had any success getting the results to pass diagnostic checks. I went to the site Hungryandhappy suggested, and found this bit of info: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...?hilite=di-604 but I can't make anything of it
confused.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
I've been trying to set up my sister-in-law's computers with DSL (through Verizon) and a router, and your situation sounds similar to what I've run into.

I believe I've narrowed the cause. Essentially, the DSL modem needs to be in bridge mode. I still need to contact Verizon to see how this is done as I can't access the modem's web interface.

I suggest you go to Qwest's support page and do a search. That's what I did with Verizon and found out what the conflict was.

I'll try contacting the ISP and hear what they suggest. If they charge for assisting me and getting my network corrected, that would seriously get under my skin though...

580smile.gif
Abe

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 13
You need to bridge the Actiontec. When you do this the Actiontec operates simply as the equivalent of a "DSL modem". You then connect the DI-604's WAN connection to one of the Actiontec's LAN connection and set the DI-604's WAN configuration for PPPoE, with proper username and password.

When dones this way the DI-604 will authenticate you on the DSL network, rather than the Actiontec. The Actiontec will simply operate as a dumb modem, passing all data through without any modification.

Follow the directions
biggrin.gif

http://www.vcn.com/knowledgebase/article.php?id=084

Make sure you turn off both the Actiontec's firewall and wireless systems. The D-Link will be the only "active" unit in the network.

Mar 5, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #8 of 13
Sounds simple enough. I'll try that and report back ASAP.

580smile.gif
Abe

Mar 5, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #9 of 13
I had the same problem and ended up going totally wireless using the main DSL portal as the hub router to four receivers and skipping the cat-5 ethernet connection entirely.Even then it took a couple of days to work out all the bugs.

seems to me the easier things are said to be in the ad copy the more complicated they actually get to implement
tongue.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
seems to me the easier things are said to be in the ad copy the more complicated they actually get to implement
tongue.gif

Too true
frown.gif
Sadly, I tried that last suggestion, and it too didn't work. I called Qwest and they said that since the modem works on its own, that I'd have to call the manufacturer of the router, D-Link. I'll call them in just a minute.

580smile.gif
Abe

Mar 6, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
Some simple items to try:

Did you try sequential resets of DSL Modem and then Router, and vice versa?

Are all firewalls and built-in security disabled?

Try setting your Network Connection Speed (Network Connection Prop.) to 100 Full Duplex (or matched to the DSL) instead of "Auto"

I've tried sequential resets to no success, and it seems that whenever I change a setting that would disconnect the modem from the internet, such as going from PPPoA to PPPoE, the modem would never reconnect, unless I uninstalled and reinstalled the QuickCare software that comes with the modem. The only setting that seems to work right off the bat is the wireless options. There are no security measures in place at the moment, and I made sure all that would have been are disengaged. Also, I haven't yet seen any network speed settings, but I'll try to take a look.

Queston: I just found another option, to disable the built-in DHCP. I wonder, if I were to have the modem hooked through a router, would I have to have the DCHP for the modem turned off, and use the DHCP in the router instead? I turned the option off, and my connection is still working BTW.

580smile.gif
Abe

Mar 6, 2006 at 11:56 AM Post #13 of 13
Update: Actiontec modem is now successfully bridged to the DI-604! I put the IP of the router at 1.1 (the modem is xxx.xxx.0.1), with PPPoE connectivity in use. Apparently it kicked on when I was messing around with IE. What happened was the QuickConnect software isn't set up to auto-troubleshoot connection problems on Firefox, but as soon as the program detected a problem in IE, it managed to get the network online. I don't know at this point if I can alter my wireless settings, because the Actiontec seems to be inaccessible while in bridged mode. It wants to be hooked up directly to allow access to its settings for some reason. But that's beside the point. I'm now on the verge of starting my own XLink club for HeadFi members that play LAN & online enabled PS2 games(I'm going to contact a mod before I announce of course)!

580smile.gif
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back