Fiber (g) 3
Sugars (g) 82
Protein (g) 19
Vitamin A 20%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 50%
Iron 20%
Caffeine (mg) 35
Cost $4.75 (USD) - note that his is higher than the cost of a gallon of gas, which itself is no longer cheap.

Equipment used in testing session:

One recyclable clear plastic container with clear plastic open-dome top
5-digit biological grasping device
1 modern-era cylindrically-molded fluid transport tube
Adjustable masculine bilabial coupler
38 y/o vintage high-sensitivity taste buds

Appearance:

The DCCF gets high marks here. The see-through container lets you observe the product in detail before consuming it, a plus. And what a sight it is!

doublechoc_frap.jpg

The container felt nice and cold in my hand on this summer afternoon. Gazing inside, one is drawn in by the fine texture of brown tones, punctuated here and there by dark chocolate chips. Up top the cream dresses things up a bit, with a sprinkling of what Starbucks calls "mocha drizzle" (tastes like simple chocolate syrup to my mouth, but it works here). All in all, a pleasing display, which makes you feel like you've bought yourself a gift... because you care.

Taste:

Of course, this is what you're here for. What you really want to know is how it tastes.

The cream: This is light and sweet, perhaps sweeter than the Frappuccino itself, but not overbearing - a pleasant hum from a single cloud in the sky. The mocha drizzle (chocolate syrup) is present only in a quantity that enables it to color the experience, not determine the core essence its ultimate manifestation, simply adding a slight celebratory lilt to the wispy song.

The beverage: Here we have the main body of the liquid dessert. This is where most of those 670 calories reside and where that $4.75 must be earned. I have to say, the drink won me over with its brash chocolaty statement - more or less, "I am chocolate, deal with it." There was a hint of mocha coffee but really, this is f'ing chocolate, folks. Cold, flowing, fattening chocolate. It doesn't ask permission. It doesn't apologize. It is what it is and that's all that it is. If you need a dose of white-hot (though very cold) in-your-face honesty, this is it. Is it worth $4.75? Well, that depends. Are you a real palatophile? If so, you will find it worth the coin. For most, though, many gas station knock-offs will provide you with 90% of this experience at a fraction of the cost. This definitely tests the envelope where diminishing returns are concerned.

May 29, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 13
I had one a few days ago, it wasn't really anything special.

May 29, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 13
Thanks for the review, haven't had the chance to try that one yet. Starbuck's Caramel Frapuccino is one of my favorite cold coffee drinks. Haven't had a chance to get one in almost two years though. We don't have Starbuck's in the country I live in, and I haven't travelled in the last couple of years
frown.gif

May 29, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 13
Hmm... I may give it a try tonight. I've been perfectly happy with caramel frappuccino with whip but it's nice to try something new.

May 29, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #6 of 13
Yeah, it's definitely good, but I can't imagine throwin' down with one of these on anything like a daily basis.

May 29, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 13
Is this the new seasonal frap? I think I had one at Barnes & Noble the other day. I'm not a huge fan of the frap flavors that feature little bits of debris inside (chocolate in this case, I would guess), but it was very sweet and nice to share with someone on a warm day.

Don't you hate how the price doesn't vary by much between the sizes? Like if you don't order the large and down the thing you'd be wasting money, hah

May 29, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #8 of 13
You're better off just buying a tub of ice cream or something. Or even cheaper, melt a hershey's bar then add vodka and pretzels.

(I like Starbucks, but other than consistency, their drinks are pretty mediocre)

May 29, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #9 of 13
I don't think it's seasonal, gshan. And yeah, the debris (nice word choice!) is one of those things that some people will love, but some will not like the feel of it in a drink. And yes, the pricing scheme is like that of popcorn at movie theaters. Just get the big one and split it with someone or you'll feel like a sucker.

And I agree with you, Kirosia. Making it at home is cheaper and you can do exactly what you want with it, including, as you say, adding a little buzz magic.

May 29, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #10 of 13
When did Starbucks change from a coffee shop to a dessert shop?

Nothing against the company, but Starbucks seems to be moving farther and farther away from their core business. I actually like coffee to taste like coffee. When I want coffee I don't want a milkshake.

May 29, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #11 of 13
Awhile ago. I heard somewhere most of their customers purchase "dessert" coffee/drinks. Admittedly, that's what I usually get when I hit them. (I can make the real stuff at home)

May 29, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When did Starbucks change from a coffee shop to a dessert shop?

Nothing against the company, but Starbucks seems to be moving farther and farther away from their core business. I actually like coffee to taste like coffee. When I want coffee I don't want a milkshake.

Same here. I like coffee, real coffee. I drink it black. I also refuse to pay $5 for any beverage that doesn't have alcohol in it. I'm not really a Starbucks fan anyway, they roast their coffees way too much for my taste. (And I like dark roast coffee.)

One thing I do like is Vietnamese iced coffee, the good kind that's made at the table. That stuff is awesome. Some spring rolls and a couple iced coffees is a great lunch on a hot day.

May 29, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #13 of 13
I used to drink vietnamese iced coffee all the time (worked at an asian restaurant), and it almost gave me diabetes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back