My review of the Jays a-Jays
Jun 10, 2010 at 7:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

mp3

500+ Head-Fier

Jays a-Jays

The new a-Jays comes in three different flavours, One, Two and Three, with different accessories and finishes, as well as slightly different sound characteristics.
There will also be a Iphone headset, the a-Jays Four Iphone, which is a mic/headset version of the a-Jays Three, available in black or white.

I will be taking a closer look at a-Jays Two.

Specs.
Dynamic driver 8.6mm
Frequency range: 20Hz – 20KHz  (20Hz-18KHz One, 20Hz-22KHz Three)
Impedance: 16Ohm
Sensitivity: 96dB/mW  (95dB/mW One, 97dB/mW Three)
Colour: Deep high gloss black  (standard black One, rubber coated black Three)
RRP:  $49  ($39 One, $59 Three) ex. VAT

Build quality and accessories.
Build quality is excellent. The housing is made of high quality plastic and the cable is 115cm/45in, with a straight jack. The flat! rubbery cable is very stylish and has a very high quality feel to it.
The included accessories are, five pairs of different sized silicone sleeves (XXS, XS, S, M, L), a stereo splitter and a flight adapter.
One includes the sleeves and Three includes all mentioned plus a very nice hard shell case. Finally a special mention for the very useful and gorgeous packaging.

Comfort and fit.

The a-Jays are light and about average size. They are very comfortable to wear even for longer periods, thanks to the vast amount of included sleeves. They can be worn both with the cable running over the ear as well as straight down. Isolation from ambient noise is very good, there are some microphonic noises but nothing too bad and wearing the cable over the ear reduces them to a minimum.

Sound quality.
As a dynamic IEM the a-Jays benefit from burn in. The print on the package says, “heavy bass impact, detailed mids and highs”, I fully agree with that. The a-Jays have a very powerful and analogue sound, the bass is tight and full of energy, the mids are very smooth if a little in the background, the highs are crisp without ever sounding harsh or sibilant. A very well textured overall sound, with a slight hint of a V shaped sound signature, all wrapped into a soundstage that is big and expansive. My test tracks sound excellent, filled with energy and very musical/fun. The detail in the overall sound is very good for a dynamic IEM, but the a-Jays are not made for monitoring and critical listening, they are made for the real enjoyment of listening to good music.
Let it also be noted that the a-Jays respond well to the use of DSP’s and EQ’s.

To sum up.
The good: Excellent and powerful/analogue sound, build quality, design, accessories.
The bad: I honestly can’t think of any.

Verdict: Excellent sound and stunning design, what more can one ask for, a generous accessory pack of course, do not worry, the a-Jays deliver on all fronts! Highly recommended!

Above the excellent "Pacman-esque" hard shell case, that is included in a-Jays Three.

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #4 of 39
The case is excellent! The a-Jays are very, very good for the asking price, Jays have struck gold with these.
I heard resellers telling customers to hurry up buying them, before Jays realizes just how good they are and hike the prices
smile.gif

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:57 AM Post #8 of 39
Compared to others in same price group, from Senn cx400 to Hippo VB, and I honestly prefer the a-Jays over any of them.
They remind me of the Eterna, in their overall presentation. Of course these are my findings, and you may not share my views.

Jun 11, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #10 of 39
Haven't heard the Metro.fi 170, but taken from MaoDi's review of them, he said the Klipsch S4 have better treble than 170, and the a-Jays have better treble than the S4 in my opinion.

S4 and a-Jays are quite alike, S4 is more mids focused while a-Jays are more bass and treble focused, not to say they lack in mids in any way. Detail, I would say the a-Jays have better detail overall, not by much but still better.

Jun 11, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #11 of 39
They look so tempting... i am already on the way to getting some Audioengine A2 speakers, but these look so.. not sure if its worth the upgrade though..

Jun 11, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #12 of 39
Hi all!
I also got a pair of the a-JAYS Two. And I am right now putting together a review. The overall impression is that they are good for the price range. I had a pair of metro.fi 2 a couple of years ago and really liked the sound but had major problems with the fitting. So I can't give a correct answer if metro.fi is better, but from what I remember they probably were just a little bit better and as usual it depends on what sound YOU like. My review will come up in a few days.

Cheers

//Andreas

Jun 11, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #13 of 39
I really like the sound of my Metro.Fi 170, although most people here would consider it "lousy", the only problem i have with it is comfort, i'm forever having to readjust the phones in my ear. Are the jays comfortable?

I bought my MetroFi at SGD$79.90 retail price (stupid of me i know), and the a-jays are going for SGD$98 at the PC Show this weekend. So so tempting.  

Jun 12, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #15 of 39
I've got the Ones and they're pretty neat. I pitted them against my brother's Sennheiser CX300-II while listening to my iPod classic and they're comaparable, though I like the a-JAYS better. Both of the earphones bass is a bit too heavy for my taste, but it's more detailed on the JAYS. The high ends have a too-light sound on the CX300 and can be tiring, while the a-JAYS are more reasonable.

So even though none of these earphones have a very accurate sound, the a-JAYS are better and I absolutely agree about the soundstage, it's really good. But I have to confess that what ultimately wins me over is the flat cable. It doesn't tangle and looks really cool.

I also have a pair of q-JAYS I bought a few months back and I won't be giving them up anytime soon :wink: But for listening to electro, which I do quite a lot, the a-JAYS's more bass-oriented sound sometimes makes them preferrable. If you have any questions, hit me up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back