My review of the Hisoundaudio ROCOO-A
Feb 26, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #31 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There wouldn't be a Line Out , so no point comparing to the Fuze.

I will be borrowing a Rocoo next week and be able to compare it to the Fuze (an impressive, but annoying as hell DAP). I think it is fair to compare the two - both are DAPs with bad battery life and purported good SQ. Both are small, both play music; I will compare them with no sour taste.

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #32 of 148
I haven't heard the Fuze, but as I understand it's fairly identical to the Clip?
As for the Clip Vs ROCOO, they are both very good, but I like the more detailed presentation of the ROCOO.

Mine is still on beta firmware, so will probably change for the better.

Feb 27, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #33 of 148
MP3 - imagine if this badboy got rockbox! forget beta firmware, forget issues, and embrace music the way it was recorded: gapless in a multitude of formats, replaygainable, etc....

Please HiSound - think of this. You can always use your own firmware - Rockbox allows the original and new firmwares to be used concurrently.

Feb 28, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #38 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any way, ROCKBOX is only a playback functions. Maybe it can improve the operation experience. but it have nothing to do with the sound quality of a player.

The sound quality is already very, very good on the ROCOO. Having ROCKBOX as firmware improves the verall user experience, and in some cases even adds slightly to the perceived sound quality, e.g. the use of crossfeed settings.

Feb 28, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #39 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any way, ROCKBOX is only a playback functions. Maybe it can improve the operation experience. but it have nothing to do with the sound quality of a player.

It has a lot to do with SQ. Some players hiss less with RB, some lose bad off frequencies - Software drives the decode mechanism: if that is off, sound will be off.

Also, gaps are detrimental to SQ. Rockbox is ultimately the best way to listen to music as it supports music the way it is meant to be heard and played (as much as a hardware studio recording can work). The parametric EQ, to help users enjoy/fix flaws in their device/headphones is incredibly helpful.

Feb 28, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #40 of 148
I tried this player the other day and it's user interface is absolutely horrid.The moment I turn it off,it refuses to start again(faulty unit perhaps eh?) and it is quite difficult to find songs from my memory card.Sound wise,it's superb no other player in this price range can even come close in competing with its soundstage,details and instrument separation.Unless Highsoundaudio do something with its user interface I will probably not buy it and it is a shame as it has potential of being the best small player to date but it has been let down by its usability.I do hope they can come up with better UI and if they do I will be delighted to buy it.

Feb 28, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #41 of 148
I cannot wait to try it out. But I am convinced that HiSound could sell a lot to people who really want the best if: excellent earphone performance (it is portable, so will be used with portable earphones), little to almost no hiss, Rockbox - the item which will bring it into audiophile eyes and ears the world over as well as make it 100% usable.

Feb 28, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #42 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cannot wait to try it out. But I am convinced that HiSound could sell a lot to people who really want the best if: excellent earphone performance (it is portable, so will be used with portable earphones), little to almost no hiss, Rockbox - the item which will bring it into audiophile eyes and ears the world over as well as make it 100% usable.

Well we can only hope that they,the manufacturer can see that Rockbox is their saving grace.

Feb 28, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #43 of 148
Quote:

Originally Posted by helljudgement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried this player the other day and it's user interface is absolutely horrid.The moment I turn it off,it refuses to start again(faulty unit perhaps eh?) and it is quite difficult to find songs from my memory card.Sound wise,it's superb no other player in this price range can even come close in competing with its soundstage,details and instrument separation.Unless Highsoundaudio do something with its user interface I will probably not buy it and it is a shame as it has potential of being the best small player to date but it has been let down by its usability.I do hope they can come up with better UI and if they do I will be delighted to buy it.

I suppose you were the first time to use it. I have no any problem on operating the player.

The player has two switch to turn on. One is the power ON/OFF switch. The other switch is to turn on/off the the player. Maybe you only turn on one of them, so, you can't switch on it. it is not faulty.

As for the specified tracks searching, It is very clear to me. My habit is to navigate to the specify folder---then scrolling for the specify tracks inside the folder.

I do agree with your assessments on the sound quality. ROCOO is the best player I have ever listened. It is incredible powerful and the sound quality is so transparent, clear and musicality.

Feb 28, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #45 of 148
Their "twin" looking Cube C30 has adjustable BBE. Can Hisound pre-apply "fixed BBE" to make Rocoo more spacious, transparent and 3D-ish? My grandfather used to say about door-to-door salesman, "tricky dickie" "make-believe". Talking about "best", Cowon D2 can be had for $100, which is almost same price; a comparison is needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back