My review of the 580 vs. 590 with the Porta Corda
Dec 23, 2001 at 12:24 AM Post #16 of 26
I mainly meant the paragraphing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2001 at 3:59 AM Post #17 of 26
quote:

------------------------
I would say to those who is looking to improve the sound of their basic home system to invest in a good set of cans than purchase a quality headphone amp. bypass the portable headphone amp as a home rig system as the improvement is only ever so slight and save up for class A headphone amp.
------------------------------

Maybe even a class A headphone amp is not worth the money... It surely sounds like portable headphone amps are a waste of money if you have a decent receiver/amplifier with headphone jack (for home listening at least). I have to hear a good headphone amp for myself, but I am fairly certain that I will buy all the "big boy" headphones (HD-600, Beyer 7xx/8xx/9xx) before I buy a headphone amp.

Ctn, thanks for the review...

Dec 23, 2001 at 5:41 AM Post #19 of 26
Ctn,
Your review is awesome IF you change the title to reflect the headphones being compared. As an amp review its not too good, but it is a great comparison of two good headphones.

That's all it would take to change the feedback you're getting.

Dec 23, 2001 at 5:57 AM Post #20 of 26
Thanks utdeep,

I cant change the topic
frown.gif

Can a moderator place change it
biggrin.gif
and prob move it to the headphones section too
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2001 at 9:27 AM Post #21 of 26
Um, so what happened with everybody trashing the headphone out on receivers?
confused.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 23, 2001 at 9:30 AM Post #22 of 26
receivers?

If you mean the headphones out on pcd's then its not very clean as the line out from it.

Try the line out + amp vs the phones out
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2001 at 2:29 PM Post #23 of 26
Ctn, I think Joe Bloggs is refering to your statements:

quote:

----------------
The Porta Corda is lightyears better than the headphones out but doesnt compare much to most of your
home systems.
-----------------

and

--------------------
I left out the comparason with my home rig since there just wasnt any competition
--------------------------

Did you mean the headphone out jack from your receiver/amplifier(that's what I understood), or the sound coming from your speakers?

Dec 23, 2001 at 5:33 PM Post #24 of 26
Ctn,
Awesome! Now I want to revote
frown.gif

This review should be immortalized in the special section.

Dec 23, 2001 at 7:22 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
confused.gif

Most receivers don't have very good headphone jacks. That doesn't mean all headphone jacks on receivers suck.

One thing a home receiver will be able to do is provide lots more power than a portable to the headphone jack. But even with plenty of power, many headphone jacks on receivers have other flaws. Some are noisy, or distort the sound subtly despite having adequate power. Some don't use a decent opamp to drive the headphone jack -- they simply step down the power from the speaker outputs, a flawed way of doing things since full-size speakers and headphones require different types of amplification for optimal performance.

Something to look for, in my experience, is a decent full-size CD player with a headphone jack. Most rack-style CD players don't have headphone jacks, so those that do are more likely to have decent circuitry behind them, and since they don't have speaker outputs, the headphone circuit isn't simply a stepped-down speaker output. There are exceptions here too, so you can't just assume that a rack CD player with a headphone jack will have a good one. But the odds are better, IMO.

Dec 23, 2001 at 10:10 PM Post #26 of 26
Hi Joe Bloggs & danieln,

Quote:

Quote:

Did you mean the headphone out jack from your receiver/amplifier(that's what I understood), or the sound coming from your speakers?

I was refering to the sound comming out from speakers
smily_headphones1.gif
since to me, this is the ultimate sonic bliss
biggrin.gif
. Put on an unplugged/live cd, close your eyes and I swear you'll loose balance and fall over when you "look" around the room since you are afraid you step on ppl's feet
biggrin.gif
I seldom use the headphones out of the 6000ose.

Hi utdeep,

Quote:

Ctn,
Awesome! Now I want to revote
This review should be immortalized in the special section.

Hehe since I didnt vote, Im just happy there's atleast one vote there for yes
cool.gif
Thanks for the confidence boost
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for all your comments
smily_headphones1.gif

For a moment there I was like "nooooo this is the last time I write a review...."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back