My review of Brainwavz Beta
Jan 11, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, those conical tips are a scream. I liked the hybrids with them, but there wasn't that much of a SQ bump. Not bad, but the competition is fierce these days down in budget-town.

Agreed. These would have to improve a whole lot to compete with the cheaper Senn CX250, Meelec M9s, and Soundmagic PL21.

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:59 AM Post #17 of 38
Thanks guys for pointing out the foam/hybrids to me, I feel such a spoon for not seeing them when i unpacked the box.

Apologies to everyone concerned for my blunder.

Jan 11, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #18 of 38
Jan 11, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by timmyGCSE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Klipsch S2's:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/k...ml#post6305144

Yeah those are sadly at least $50 around these parts - nearly 2x more than the Branwavz and the others I mentioned.

@mp3: Yeah, a lot of the cheap chinese-made IEMs/DAPs come in boxes exactly like that so I know from experience to look in the other flap
redface.gif
. I wonder how many people miss all the goodies...

Jan 11, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #21 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by vochiogi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the betas, pl20 and pl30 and to me the betas sound the best pf the three, but it was only after 200 hours of burning in that the sq really started to stand out.

Agreed, these need a lot of burn in, they are not the nicest sounding iem out of the box, not that great sounding even after 100hours, it took about 150hours to about 200hours before i really noticed an improvement in the sound. The bass also starts to come out more, its not as flat as when you first hear them.

The orange and white tips are horrible, i couldn't use the betas for over an hour without my canals feeling irritated, i got the foam tips a little later for free from mp4nation, they offered it free to any owners of the betas, really appreciated that. The tips are the same as my pl30 and they fit very comfortable, i would have probably stopped using my betas if it weren't for the new tips.

I already gave my impressions before, i would recommend these as a budget IEM, but you do need to let them burn for quite some time.

Jan 17, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #26 of 38
If you mean the soundmagic-style smooth black foams than these are quite similar. They come in a smaller (Olive-type) bore size as well. However, I don't think the sizes correspond to the ones used by the Betas. These mediums felt more like larges to me.

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #28 of 38
I have about 115 hours on my pair now and I may cook them pretty high for the next 12 hours. They are quite bright without the filters installed; too bright for me and I like brighter phones.

Of course I was using the "traffic cones" and I get no seal with them at all. They even feel like traffic cones in my ears. I'm going to set them up in the driveway for my 15 year old to practice parallel parking.

Seriously, I know which tips I'm going to stay with already. Those firm foams are basically the same as I have on my PL50s. I got them from the same Bay link above. They are comfortable and give great seal.

The iems go to work with me tomorrow for all day testing... Hey, none of us need to take any more nozzle pics, do we? That one review had nozzles left, nozzles right, nozzles north and south... and they were 16" x 20" in size! I want a poster on my dorm room wall! I'm teasing, Brendon... great photos!

But I do know why I was having nozzle nightmares last night, though.
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 19, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #29 of 38
when I get around to it, and that could be a while, I'm gonna try a 3 way budget shoot out between these, Klipsch S2's and Sony X OEM IEM's which at this stage are better than the Brainwavz and the BWz are burned in the Sony's are not, and I'm not using the noise cancelling. The X OEM IEM's go on ebay for dirt cheap, see this auction:
SONY MDR-NC022 NOISE CANCELLING HEADPHONES on eBay (end time 28-Dec-09 21:51:53 GMT)
no one bought them..for £5?! I would pay £25+

Jan 20, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #30 of 38
I played with my Betas all day at my office, swapping tips to try to get a decent seal. The traffic cones and their opaque brethren are useless and painful. The bi-flange tips are just big... real big, and they remind me of having my ears full of cotton a la childhood ear infections, without the intense pain. Pain seems to be the province of only the traffic cones. The big orange foams wouldn't fit in my ears comfortably, even if I were dumb enough to try to put them in there.

That leaves the firm foams that are like decored soundmagic/olives. First off, the hollow cores are large enough that the bass/screen cap is almost required to make the tips secure on the nozzles. I actually preferred the sound presentation without the screen caps, but tips spinning on the nozzle while deep in in my ear canal bothers me greatly; especially since I haven't carried hemostats around since the 70s.

"Deep" is the operative word for these phones. The long nozzles are designed for increased depth into the ear canal and the listener must find the tip that facilitates this without discomfort. If you can't put the phones into the canal at a sufficient depth with an effective seal, these phones are supremely terrible... bass light, tinny and prone to becoming shrill at higher volumes. If you are able to get a seal without sufficient depth, the phones are akin to anemic PL30s.

BUT if you can get them sufficiently into the canal (which may require you to angle the phone a little, one way or another) and if you are then able to get a seal without discomfort (give it a little turn while pressing it forward), this budget IEM becomes a very, very good set of earphones. I had to use the large firm foam, when I normally use medium tips, even in bi-flanges. The only other IEM that requires me to use a large size stock tip is the S4. The nozzle spinning inside the tip at the depth it was inserted really got my attention and made me install the cap screen for security.

Without the screen the soundstage is sufficiently wide with decent separation and imaging. The top end goes extremely high and one can sense that there is a lot of room up there... even if you can't hear that high. I heard no 'roll-off' at all. I've posted all over this forum that I like bright phones. These phones have very good high-freq response, but it has to be deep in the ear or it sounds tinny/shrill at best. Vocals are good; mids are distinct and lively. Bass is sufficient, not deep, somewhat flat, but blends into the mids well. Not for rockers or hip hop as it's too balanced, but very nice overall. When you install the screen cap/cap screen/bass filter, all that top end that you can't hear, and a little that you can, goes away and the sound gets pretty warm. Not Sony EX85 warm, but it does remind me of the M9. Yeah, it sounds that good.

The longest I had them in my ears today at a single stretch was 40 mins. And I never "cranked" them. At that depth, you can't... it makes your teeth hurt, even teeth that have root canals. They do like my cMoyBB2.02 and they sound very rich and full flavored with it.

But don't crank them up too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back