My RE0's Broke. Need a new pair of in ears, on a budget though.
May 28, 2011 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mmamanx

New Head-Fier
This may be a stretch but I might have to have a limit of $50.....

Whats the best I can get right now? Please reccomend as I cant live without headphones! lol

Anyone try those Zagg Smartbuds? Tommorow is 50% off so I dunno.

May 28, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 12
soundmagic pl50, they have a really similar sound signature to the re0s but are a far less expensive about $20 less

May 28, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 12
If you want analytical, I'd suggest the phonak pfe. If you use the coupon code "h15" at soundearphones, you can get them for $118. They are analytical like the RE0, only better, as they fix two of its greatest flaws. Where the RE0 has a sharp bass rolloff resulting in a defacto midbass hump, the pfe extends smoothly down all the way to 20Hz. Moreover, and most importantly, the pfe has infinitely better dynamics compared to the RE0.

The RE0 has poor dynamic range. This means that loud things are loud, and quiet things are loud. This (along with the artificial reduction in bass) results in them being almost hyperdetailed, which some people like. But the price to pay for the lack of dynamics is a loss in excitement, resulting in a much more boring and lifeless sound. The pfe on the other hand have excellent, seemingly limitless dynamics. And though the detail doesn't jump out at you quite like the RE0 (how can it, when the quiet details stay quiet?) the sound is many times more lively and exciting - while still retaining that analytical edge you're familiar with.

And lastly, the pfe sounds great at low volume, while the RE0 needs to be played louder to sound best. If you use earphones for long periods of time, your ears will thank you for keeping the volume low.

May 28, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #5 of 12
In that case, I'd suggest either the soundmagic pl50 or the maximo im-590. The pl50 is more user friendly, but the im-590 sounds a bit better.

May 28, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 12
im590 is also really really prone to breaking

May 28, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #8 of 12
jvc fxc50 are good. theres also the fxc80(never tried them myself but they are an upgraded fxc50) the treble on these are nice
head direct re2
im590(i really like these)
meelectronics is having 25% off sale

May 28, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #9 of 12
Just save up a bit and get another RE0. They can't be beat for the price, but can also compete with IEMs costing 4-5 times as much or even more to my ears. I doubt the Soundmagic PL50 or anything else priced below RE0 can pull this off - not even close. RE0 is not just a value IEM - it is not a budget product and its sound quality doesn't have compromises. It is a high end universal IEM. Remember - RE0 used to cost $199 when they were first released and even at that price they were considered a good value.

May 29, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #12 of 12
Im not an audiophile so I dont know all the terms but I just want a nice clear sounding headphones with a bit of a punchy bass, bass dosnt have to be crazy though, I once tried some headphones in a store and they were that exactly but I cant for the life of me remember what they were! They might have been the UE's tgough, thats why I wanna try them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back