hi im a new user here.
heres my current setup

hd650 /w cardas cable
ppa amp with glassman diamond buffers
maudio audiophile 192
homemade dhlabs silversonic bl1 interconnects

ok. so music sounds very nice, very high at times i gotta turn down volume
due to the cables highend sound clarity
i find the amp is sufficient enough for my pc use, listening to flac and lossless, etc

with my current amp, where is it on the scale of good or bad (high or lowend) of the diy amps?
i know the audio world is a buy and try one, but i dont wanna plunge down that path yet.

maybe someone with experience using a ppa and other amps might share with me?
or other equipment that can improve my current setup. of course,, not that over the top $$$ stuff.

Jun 20, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 8
The PPA, in my experience, is one of the more transparent and revealing amps out there so it is going to highlight any deficiency in the chain. From what I can see you don't have a real "weak-link" but I would try pairing the amp with another source (perhaps an external DAC?) before thinking about replacing the amp. I have no direct experience with the M-Audio, but I do with every other piece of gear that you own so that's about the only recommendation I can make.

Oh and welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet!
(don't read too much into that, it's just the customary greeting)
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 20, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #5 of 8
oh oh nno no
i havent thought about replacing the amp. or yet. lol

so using a dac can make the sound better?

so its soundcard>dac>amp>cans?

Jun 20, 2007 at 1:41 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooeric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so using a dac can make the sound better?

so its soundcard>dac>amp>cans?

Yes, a different DAC can definitely make a difference. The amplifier can only do just that, amplify the signal. The digital to analog conversion process is just as critical to good sound and quality amplification. As they say around here, crap in = crap out, even if you have the worlds greatest amp and cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back