my 'poor mans browndog' ;)
Oct 28, 2008 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

linuxworks

Member of the Trade: Sercona Audio
just for grins, I wanted to see if I could build one. yup. it works
wink.gif

2980146884_8db889bc29.jpg

2979290391_b1e9596172_o.jpg

the 4 middle leads 'fit' just fine on their own but the 4 outer ones needed some wire-wrap (stripped, tinned) help
wink.gif

fun, huh?

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ouch, hardcore or not it's a slop fest.

the one thing I got from all those pics is to use a sand resistor (square block things) and space out some tinned wire (I'd use wire wrap since its very thin and already tinned) and then lay the chip against that block and use the tight turns of the wire to keep the 'wire-lets' taught and straight during the solder-on process.

then once you have them connected to the chip you can trim above and below as needed.

I may just give it a try. for giggles
wink.gif

the other thing I liked was sealing the leads in epoxy (I think that's what they used). how much cap effect would that have, though? enough to care about, at audio levels?

Oct 28, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #9 of 12
It's not quite that. He uses the resistor to solder the pre-tinned chips and wires. He simply submits the resistor to twice its power rating, for one or two minutes. It's not really necessary for the so8 package but the idea is to allow finer packages to be used that way too.

Oct 28, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #12 of 12
look -- I'm a busy man. I can't be waiting around for solder to BAKE and COOK.

sheesh.

I'll just solder the wires on and use that wirewound R as just a form.

waiting for wires to cook: who ever heard of such a thing!

wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

I'm having some fun with this thread - but it really does amuse me to imagine cooking that thing just to melt solder. I really do like having a 'form' to stretch and keep wires aligned on. that part is brilliant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back