My pocket's burning - what to upgrade?
Oct 4, 2005 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

shuurajou

100+ Head-Fier
Hi folks,

I stayed away from the forums for a while, because you know what happens, the more you read, the more you spend - I had to save my wallet for a while. But now I've foolishly started reading again, and now I want more
smily_headphones1.gif

This is my current setup...

Audigy 2 / E-MU 1212m > Corda HA-1 MKII > HD650/ATH-A900

I currently mainly use my HD650's, with the stock cable. No fancy interconnects.

Now - although I'm prone to going crazy with my money, I'd /preferably/ like the biggest upgrade for the cheapest price - if that makes sense? I don't want to buy crap... but, if spending little money on a nice cable for the HD650's will produce a good upgrade - well - that's what I'm on about.

Let me know your thoughts!!!

Actually - scrap the cheapest for biggest upgrade - I want to hear peoples honest opinions about the next step for my setup.

Oct 4, 2005 at 12:26 PM Post #2 of 15
You might want to upgrade to a fourm which deals with loving what you got and saving your money. Run little pilgrim find a safe place for you and your wallet far far away from here...

Oct 4, 2005 at 12:35 PM Post #3 of 15
Hehe - nah. I love this forum too much
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2005 at 12:42 PM Post #5 of 15
I think you can upgrade either your DAC (currently you are using the onboard 1212 DAC which probably is not bad, but not great), your amp (maybe you want to move over to the dark side with tubes), or you can try another pair of headphones.

Without knowing your budget and other constraints, I would say look into a better DAC or DAC/amp upgrade (i.e. Grace Designs m902 or HeadRoom AMP with DAC module). I think some substance like that would give you the most bang for the buck in order to improve your existing sound.

If you want to really try something new, get new cans. Try a pair of RS-1's, PS-1's, AKG-K1000's, or electrostatic headphones.

randyruiz was right, your wallet may have to run and hide soon!

Oct 4, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #6 of 15
Ok - if this helps - I'm looking at around £300-380'ish this time around. I also live in the UK - so items that are easily obtainable here would be nice.

I've been thinking about getting a pair of Grado's - but as I know nothing about them apart from their more forward and bright than Senns by a large margin - I really wouldn't know what pair to go for. The last thing I upgraded was my headphones, from HD600's, to the HD650's - so to upgrade something else would be nice.

I also have an alternative source of a Marantz CD5400.

My wallet gave up running a long time ago
wink.gif

Edit: Giving things a second thought, I'd much rather switch over to using my CD player source. However, I'd like to keep the Corda HA-1 MKII to use on my PC. So - an amp upgrade is sounding good right now.

Oct 4, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
Upgrade your girlfriend

He said cheap
rolleyes.gif

For that price, in the UK, I'd look at a Graham Slee Solo (maybe only the intro version and pick up the PSU-1 at a later date).

Oct 4, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #8 of 15
Try more hifi headphones. Try lots of heaphones. Then you can be more confident you've found your kind of sound. Look for some reference or professional series Grados on the FS forum (RS1, RS2, PS1). Or, consider picking up an HF1 as a low cost introduction to the RS Grado sound. Look for some higher end Audio-Technicas (ad2000, w100, w1000, w2002, etc...). Consider the Stax electrostats. Buy used so you can resell for little loss. This is the only way to learn what you like best.

I started off with the HD600/650 as my first "high end" cans too - I liked them and I was convinced I was a Senn man, but it turns out I wasn't. Not even close!

After headphones I would look at upgarding the amp, but again it can be tricky finding a perfect match for the headphones you've settled on. Do the buy/sell cycle again to find that match
smily_headphones1.gif

Going through so much gear is a big hassle, but if you're as picky as I am (and I believe many on these forums are at least that picky), it's the only way to fly.

Oct 4, 2005 at 3:49 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
Try more hifi headphones. Try lots of heaphones. Then you can be more confident you've found your kind of sound. Look for some reference or professional series Grados on the FS forum (RS1, RS2, PS1). Or, consider picking up an HF1 as a low cost introduction to the RS Grado sound. Look for some higher end Audio-Technicas (ad2000, w100, w1000, w2002, etc...). Consider the Stax electrostats. Buy used so you can resell for little loss. This is the only way to learn what you like best.

I started off with the HD600/650 as my first "high end" cans too - I liked them and I was convinced I was a Senn man, but it turns out I wasn't. Not even close!

After headphones I would look at upgarding the amp, but again it can be tricky finding a perfect match for the headphones you've settled on. Do the buy/sell cycle again to find that match
smily_headphones1.gif

Going through so much gear is a big hassle, but if you're as picky as I am (and I believe many on these forums are at least that picky), it's the only way to fly.

I think you're very right. After using the HD650's for a long period of time, I decided to hook up my ATH-A900's. I have to say, for the kind of music I was listening too, I preferred the more in your face sound of the ATH-A900's. *Sigh* god knows what to do now! I've been wanting to try a pair of Grado's... Where to begin! I need a good UK retailer
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #10 of 15
mulveling is right... even if the Grado sound is not for you, you are going to satisfy that upgraditus to a greater degree by buying more cans which will change the sound of your music more than any other component.

I also thought I was a Senn guy but Team Darkside is more fun
eggosmile.gif

BTW - What kind of music do you listen to?

Oct 4, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
BTW - What kind of music do you listen to?

Anything and everything. Minus hiphop/rap/r&b.

Classical, metal, rock, trance, dance, house, ambient, jazz - really anything. Although lately more rock & classical.

Oct 4, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuurajou
Anything and everything. Minus hiphop/rap/r&b.

Classical, metal, rock, trance, dance, house, ambient, jazz - really anything. Although lately more rock & classical.

I don't know that you need to replace the 650's for classical as they are stellar in this dept. but you may want to check some Grados for the rock. I hear the SR225 are great and at $200 USD not much to risk. I thought the 650's did rock pretty good until I heard the PS-1... ignorance was bliss

Oct 4, 2005 at 4:04 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameleon
He said cheap
rolleyes.gif

For that price, in the UK, I'd look at a Graham Slee Solo (maybe only the intro version and pick up the PSU-1 at a later date).

Is that the price of upgrading my audio equipment or the price of upgrading my girlfriend?
orphsmile.gif

Oct 4, 2005 at 4:46 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuurajou
Is that the price of upgrading my audio equipment or the price of upgrading my girlfriend?
orphsmile.gif

For THAT price, buy a small Middle Eastern country
wink.gif

Oct 4, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #15 of 15
man i think your rig is just fine - run away!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back