My Pico is doing something extremely bizarre!! aka("The Pico Petting Thread"-ed)
Jan 12, 2008 at 7:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

nautilus

Head-Fier
Ok, so my Pico showed up in the mail today and I got about 7 hours of listening in then I decided to plug it into the charger. So I've got it plugged into my Ipod via line out and my Ah-d2000's and anytime I rub my fingers/hand anywhere on the Pico it starts to vibrate. At first it felt like an electronic motor that can't spin so it vibrates instead (closest thing I can think of). I thought I was going crazy at first so I pull the cans off and try it again, this time I realize that the Pico isn't really vibrating on it's own but instead it's magnifying the subtle sticking then releasing of my skin against it's finish. It's almost as if the vibration of my fingers rubbing against it's surface is matching the resonant frequency of whatever is charging the battery(only happens when it's plugged in). This odd vibration happens whenever it's plugged in (DC) audio cables or the amp being on or playing doesn't effect the vibration. It's hardly subtle either and could be immediately felt by my brother (who didn't find it as odd as I?) but this vibration isn't audible at all through the cans or if I put my ears to the Pico.

Has anyone else experienced this with their Pico or any other electronics? I definitely have never felt anything like this in my life.

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #2 of 47
You're talking about the "Pico Purr" then.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I felt the same thing. I thought I was imaging it at first. I think it's just the aluminum body resonating as I stroked it. Partly to do with the body being polished finish.

Of course now I'm stroking my Pico now and it's not purring for me. Hmmm. Strange perhaps I haven't been using my Pico enough lately?

LOL, is this thread going to turn into a Pico Fetish Thread?
tongue.gif

-Ed

Jan 12, 2008 at 10:48 AM Post #4 of 47
Grounding issue, I'd say. I have observed the same with the Move when it is connected to the iPod at home on the table, but not when it is connected via USB (which effectively grounds the amp via the PC). I never feel it when I am on the move, most probably because my rubber-soled shoes would not let any static through.

Cheers!

Jan 12, 2008 at 11:01 AM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine won't purr either. I hope my wife doesn't catch me stroking my pico...could make for an awkward situation.

Just rub your Pico and whisper so she can hear "Yess, my precious", at that point she will probably stare for a bit then slowly back away. Least she wont say anything
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just rub your Pico and whisper so she can hear "Yess, my precious", at that point she will probably stare for a bit then slowly back away. Least she wont say anything
tongue.gif

lol That's a very accurate guess..she leaves me alone with my headphone geekness.
biggrin.gif

I had mine connected to my PC via USB so I'll agree with Zorander. I also have the AC adapter plugged into a Trip-Lite isolation transformer so that could help too...don't know.

Jan 12, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #9 of 47
It happens also on my Hornet whenever the DC-in is plug in.

Jan 12, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #10 of 47
not a design flaw, my macbook pro does the same thing when it is plugged in and I lightly drag my fingers across the top of it on either side of the track pad. I just thought it was a ground thing too.

Jan 12, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by basman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It happens also on my Hornet whenever the DC-in is plug in.

x2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back