My phone is dying. Time for a new one.
Oct 15, 2009 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

APWiseman

Head-Fier
I have been stubbornly holding onto my Sony Ericsson w800i and it won't charge anymore.

I was looking at unlocked smart phones since I will most likely being going overseas for work next year.

I'm considering:
Samsung Omnia i900
HTC Hero
Nokia N97

I am leaning towards the Omnia for the price. I can get it for $400 on Newegg. Anyone use any of these phones?

Oct 15, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #2 of 12
I think the only problem with your phone is that it needs a new battery. Can you access the battery compartment? If not, Google the model number of your phone with "battery replacement" and you should find a FAQ and any number of battery vendors.

You ought to be able to find and install a replacement for much less than $400.

Oct 15, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #3 of 12
A Win-Mo phone? Oh god no.

Get that HTC Hero. I like Sprint's version best with the Sense UI but I believe you can install it on any Android device, since CDMA isn't good for international use.

Oct 15, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the only problem with your phone is that it needs a new battery. Can you access the battery compartment? If not, Google the model number of your phone with "battery replacement" and you should find a FAQ and any number of battery vendors.

You ought to be able to find and install a replacement for much less than $400.

I tried the battery, it wasn't that. The jack where the charger plugs in seems to be broken.

Oct 15, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #6 of 12
E71 was like Noah's of phonedog favourite phone of the past year. I'd recommend that or the E75

Oct 15, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 089709867 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A Win-Mo phone? Oh god no.

Depends on your usage I guess. When Dad got his iPhone 3GS I was impressed at first but now I realize that my WM6.5 HTC Wizard is more functional. My next phone will very likely be another WM device. It's over 3 years old but there aren't any signs of problems- hopefully I can hold onto it for a couple more years.

Android is nice but you have do a hack to get full access to the device. I hate feeling restricted on a piece of hardware that I own.

Oct 16, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #9 of 12
Rooting Android is nothing and you can always go back if you want.

Windows mobile is an outdated phone OS. Just read up on it. I have my mom's old SDA and I want to throw that thing up against the wall.

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 089709867 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Windows mobile is an outdated phone OS. Just read up on it. I have my mom's old SDA and I want to throw that thing up against the wall.

It is, but certain shells (like HTC's TouchFlo 3D or SPB Mobile Shell) help the user-friendliness of the UI to an extent. The latest HTCs for example are fairly responsive considering their relatively aged tech.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back