My pc wish list/what else do I need?
Dec 14, 2005 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

trains are bad

Headphoneus Supremus
http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/...ID3=1018152245

So can I buy this shtuff and make a PC? Will it all work together? I don't have a case picked out yet, but I want this thing to be as quiet as possible.

Also the processor is 2.2ghz isn't that like slow nowadays, with P4s at like 3.x Ghz?

No video/sound card yet, but that's not needed if all I'm going to do is make it an audio PC.

Dec 14, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #2 of 31
lol which list is it?

and you cant really compare clockspeeds of processors between AMD and Intel like that, both have their strengths in certain areas, amd has always lagged behind intel in terms of GHz but are on par with them on most applications

exceptions would be things like audio/video encoding where intels are better just because of their raw clock speeds, while amd edge out in gaming and such

when i bought my A64 3200+ a while ago (2.2 GHz) it compared well to approximately a 3.2-3.4 GHz P4 as shown by certain benchmarks

cheers

Dec 14, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #3 of 31
a second hard drive (it would suck if the first one failed and you had to import all the music again).

Dec 15, 2005 at 9:18 AM Post #6 of 31
check out the guides on sharkyextreme monthly building guides. and make sure everything (psu, cpu heatsink, case) uses 120 mm fans if you want it to be quiet. get a videocard without a fan. also, use the program speedfan to automatically lower the speeds. at times, i can run my computer with the cpu and case fans completely off using these methods.

Dec 15, 2005 at 10:22 AM Post #7 of 31
I didn't look too in depth here, though I could go on for hours about computer parts (joys of owning a comp company).....

I will cover this as fast as I can...

Stuff you got right

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB Great drive. Comes with a 5 year warranty. I am running two in a raid 1 at the moment.

Stuff that I wouldn't recommend

CD-Drive: Don't waste your money on the plextor driver. The Benq 1640 is a dual layer DVD +/- RW drive that burns CDs at 40x as well and has long been a favorite over at hardocp and anandtech forums. However it appears they are discontinued with a new model coming out. There for go with an NEC 3550A for $38-40 (DVD +/- RW, CD-R(W), DVD-Rom). Another great all-in-one drive that is a favor amoungst the forums.

RAM: I wouldn't was my money on the OCZ unless you have the budget for it. Their value ram or if you can find the Corsair value in 1gb sticks is about $30-40 less and the real world differences in the latency are miminal at worst. (various posts in the anandtech forums debating this). If you have the extra $40, feel free.

CPU/Motherboard: Unless you are getting a socket 754 board because of the AGP slot, get the hell out of socket 754 now. It was old a year ago and holds no advantages over the newer socket 939. A perfect example is the CPU you listed costs $193 while the socket 939 equivilent runs $174. You might be able to get the motherbooards for a bit cheaper; however there are many good nvidia nforce4 ultra socket 939 boards available for around $100-115. Consider abit, asus, msi, and even chaintech if you are running a bit on a budget. The non-ulta nforce4 boards can be had for even <$70.

As I said get out of the socket 754 if you can avoid it. The cost difference is little if any and the lack of any solid upgrade path kills you. Yes, you would have to acquire a PCI express video card, but you can easily put some of the money you would save going with the socket 939 setup towards a new card.

Also check out

the hardocp system round up (they have recomendations for various price ranges)
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=OTAw

Also for more info do searches on the following forums.

http://www.hardforum.com
http://forums.anandtech.com

Dec 15, 2005 at 10:40 AM Post #8 of 31
You picked a 754 pin cpu, but a 939 pin motherboard. So, the CPU and the motherboard will not work together. AMD's 754 pin give single channel memory bus, while the 939 pin gives a dual channel memory bus. It's probably best to get the 939 set-up.

Samsungs are generally quieter than Seagates.

I'd pick a motherboard that does NOT have a fan on the motherboard. You might want to look into the Geforce 6100/6150 chipset motherboards -- they are cheap and full of features.

Case suggestion. Ever Case 4252. It's as quiet or quieter than then antecs and costs much less. (Though the antecs have a bit better construction and probably look a little better too.)

Dec 16, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #9 of 31
Email the wish list to yourself, and post that URL in the OP for it.

Dec 16, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #10 of 31
Case:
Evercase 4292B, but then you'd want another PSU, I think (depends on video card, really). This comes with a Globe fan from Newegg, which will be quiet and undervolt decently--maybe even use PWM fine. The default fan is why I'd recommend it over the 4252 (otheriwse, the same insides). I just built a PC with one of these (been using the 4252 for a few years now), and that fan really tips the balance towards it.

Antec Sonata II: nice, but more expensive.
Antec P180: emperor of cases, but not the easiest to use, and more expensive (and no PSU, so even more expensive...).

Motherboard: either get one with passive cooling, or get a Zalman NB47j. Given how few nice NF4 boards are passive (AFAIK, only Gigabyte makes one now), just get the Zalman and stick it on there. You can still find the NB32j, but get the NB47j. The curved mounting arms make it much easier to get on there right. Even the overclockers over at SPCR seem to have no trouble with the NF4 or NF4 Ultra using this cooler.

I think most any NF4 board will do. A SiS chipset would be nice, but you give up the potential for dual-core, as the 755FX is practically impossible to find (but the 760GX isn't--why?!). Also, the NF4 boards all have more drive and USB capacity than you should need (generally 2xPATA, 4xSATA, 10xUSB), which never hurts (especially the USB).

Make sure to set up Cool'n'Quiet once you're up and running.

RAM: Get some CAS 2.5, 2.5v normal cheap RAM. You'll never see the difference. Corsair, Rosewill, PQI, Patriot, and A-Data are all good choices at the low end of the price scale.

PSU: make sure to get a ATX 2 PSU, with a 24-pin power connector (this is NOT the P4 12v one, which you will also need!). The Antec Sonata II comes with a fairly nice one, that I would trust mid-range cards and a nice CPU with. The Evercase ($80 one) should do for a non-gaming rig (however, it will never hurt to get a nicer PSU).

Dec 16, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #11 of 31
Here's what I would get if I were building a quiet audio-pc:

Case: Antec P150
Motherboard: MSI RX480 Neo2-F
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
Heatsink/Fan: Zalman CNPS7700-ALCU
Memory: Corsair XMS 1GB (2x512MB) DDR 400
Hard Drive: Hitachi T7K250 250GB or Samsung SP2504C
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-W162C

Should run you about $750.

Dec 16, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #12 of 31
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1898

The Asus A8N-VM CSM and an Antec P150 would be a nice starting point (I've read of some problems with the psu in that Antec case and the premium Asus mobos, but I don't know about this mATX mobo).

NewEgg.com also the 320 GB IDE Western Digital 3200JB for less than $110 after rebate. Probably nice and quiet suspended in the elastic cords included with the Antec P150.

(Antec P150 also stealthes the top two drive slots, so color matching isn't an issue).

The Corsair Value Select PC3200 2 x 512MB dual channel kit is guaranteed compatible with all major mobos, has a lifetime guarantee, and costs around $80 now.

AMD Athlon Venice 3200+ might be a good choice because if you eventually want to overclock, overclocking to a fsb of 250, using a 5:4 divider on the memory (the Corsair Value Select isn't designed for overclocking, but the Nforce4 isn't supposed to suffer significantly from a 100% match of memory and cpu bus speed), and I think you just set the hypertransport to 1000 (?). If you do get this far, you would probably move up to something like Asus's premium A8N ATX mobo and a separate graphics card, but the mATX Asus is supposed to have a very good manual, so it might be a very good one to learn how to build a computer with.

Dec 16, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #13 of 31
Following ReDVsion here is what I would build to make a quiet pc:

Case: Any case on this page would be great for quiet. http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/...ml?id=L8LAJhwy

Heatsink/Fan: XP-120 with modded to fit Nexus 120mm fan
Hard Drive: Samsung SP2504C
Power Supply: Seasonic S12-430

These are the main components that will make noise in your computer. The rest is mostly about howmuch power you want or need.

Dec 16, 2005 at 4:32 AM Post #14 of 31
Following ReDVsion here is what I would build to make a quiet pc:

Case: Any case on this page would be great for quiet. http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/...ml?id=L8LAJhwy

Heatsink/Fan: XP-120 with modded to fit Nexus 120mm fan
Hard Drive: Samsung SP2504C
Power Supply: Seasonic S12-430

These are the main components that will make noise in your computer. The rest is mostly about howmuch power you want or need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back