My pc wish list/what else do I need?
Dec 19, 2005 at 12:33 PM Post #31 of 31
I never said Intel wouldent meet his particular needs better then AMD. I was just correcting a previous statement that implied intel was still faster at video/audio/rendering processing. That said, an A64 is only 1.5 volts and it dosent disappate that much heat. It would be quite easy to make a quiet audio pc based around this chip. And it would perform at a more modern, demanding task if it was asked to. All you'd need is one low speed 120mm intake, the PSU exhuast, and a Flower type heatsink with a large 120mm slow processor fan. It would be extremly quiet. If you want to go even further, just watercool the whole thing. I think the mobile athlon is only 1.4 volts btw. And many A64's will run 1.4 as well. YMMV

edit: not to mention the A64 is MUCH easier to install. With it's heat spreader protecting the easily crushed core. The mechanism for attaching heatsinks is also much easier to use.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pietenkees
As far as speed is concerned, yes AMD is faster nowadays. In this case however he wants a quiet audio pc. Then the only way to go is pentium-m/xp-m. You just wont utilize the extra power a 3800+ (or something like that) gives you. The pentium-m is WAY MORE than up to the task of ripping and playing audio. You just cant reasonably say you can silence a 3800+, it just needs the cooling. Even with CnQ. Those things use way to much power for this simple application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back