My PayPal account was stolen!
Nov 15, 2008 at 5:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

billybob_jcv

Headphoneus Supremus
I just had 2 bogus transactions hit my PayPal account. I used Paypal for the first time in several months, and within an hour of closing the transaction, I had a bogus charge for $6.95 hit my Paypal account. I did not notice it, and today I had another bogus charge for $119.95. Luckily, Paypal flagged my account for suspicious activity, and at about the same time I checked my email and finally noticed something was wrong. I have placed the 2 bogus transactions in dispute, and I've changed my PayPal password and security questions.

I'm really confused how this occurred - I do NOT follow phishing emails, and I run the latest virus/spyware dat files.

Has anyone else had PayPal problems lately?

Nov 15, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #2 of 16
Not lately, but it happened to me once.

Apparently there was an ebay vendor selling information about their transactions and other groups were buying the information - using it to hack accounts. Luckily the vendor was caught and my account flagged the first time it happened. Annoying for me, but less hassle in the end. Paypal apparently does a much better job than the banks.

Nov 15, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #3 of 16
Paypal does a pretty good job IMO. Sure it has its drawbacks but it's really easy to sell to international buyers.
I guess everything can be hacked. Too bad it happened to you.

Nov 16, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #5 of 16
I had my paypal account locked some time ago. I didn't understood what happened but after a few day it was unblocked and I didn't noticed any weird transaction. I guess the account lock was a blessing
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by iphone3g /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you should change your password every month or so

Can't even remember the password I've had for several years.

Nov 17, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Can't even remember the password I've had for several years.

So there will be no problem changing it even weekly, since you always need to check it...

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:24 AM Post #11 of 16
Having a weak password on something like a Paypal account, which I'm sure many people around the world do, is insane. However, if you get a keylogging trojan on your computer, even a virtually impossible to crack password will be useless.

Nov 17, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #12 of 16
Changing password on a regular basis sure is a nice tip.
Should help preventing cases like this one..

Nov 17, 2008 at 10:54 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by iphone3g /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you should change your password every month or so

Why that? If anybody finds out your password, he won't wait for a month to use it. So changing it often is useless, I think.

Nov 20, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #14 of 16
I'd refuse to log into paypal or even my mail account on a non-encrypted Wifi network. Public PC's are just one more big risk. I worked as an admin at a cyber cafe, the boss's son installed a keylogger there.
The other ones have been mentioned already: trojans, weak passwords, old Microsoft OS, any OS without security upgrades in general...
I had an issue with my PP account that it was refusing to send payments in some 29 out of 30 cases and it wasn't my software's fault. It's over but it was annoying. Customer support coudn't tell me the reason. It was rather just a bug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back