My Panasonic SL-CT800 cd/mp3 portable
Jan 7, 2003 at 11:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

samwY

New Head-Fier
Despite Tina's review, I still went out and bought this unit. $150 bargain in Chinatown.

I think its great!
It gets cooler every day.
The blinking lights that strobe left to right, that display battery life and determine what type of cd is playing, is really neat.
The sound quality is great in my opinion, although I really need a META. Sounds better everyday - seriously. Maybe I'm just getting used to it? Nah...
The silver look seems very elegant. Got to leave to that sticker on ^_^
The size is really thin, looks pretty just sitting there.
The magnet adapter goes along with the "new technology" feel you get when you have this pcdp.
The remote is nice. Although the buttoms seemed pretty crammed, they respond to the faintest pressure. The backlit is very bright, sometimes too bright at angles to read it - I like that.

Today I noticed how the PCDP works, maybe to minimize battery use: It actually stops spinning the CD every 50 seconds or so, and the CD remains still for about 20 seconds while the music is still playing! It does this over and over again, which is why this pcdp can play mp3 for up to 120 hours - amazing. This technique of saving battery is something I never seen or heard before.

I feel that I have the most advanced CD mp3 portable out there, and I'm very satisfied. Can't wait to see how this puppy works with a headphone amp in the optical out, because it's not driving my D66 Eggo's to the max (wish I had a ear-blogging max volume with my pcdp). But overall, I am VERY pleased with this unit.

Jan 7, 2003 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 4
Hey,

Just a couple of questions. Did you get it in Chinatown NY? If so, what store?

Secondly, does it do a good job of recognizing MP3 cds? Some players seem much more picky than others. On that note, my other concerns are whether it loads cds relatively quickly and whether it recognizes all ID3 tags and not just a single version (say v1.1).

Thanks in advance. Oh, and congratulations on the new player.

-Mr Sniggles

Jan 7, 2003 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 4
bought it toward the bridge on corner of Canal and Exxex
it's called Tower something with blue advertising
it cost $165 but my mom got it down to $150 since she fluent in Cantonese

it picks up the cd's really quick...less than 5 seconds
mp3 discs, everything is fine and quick
reads any ID3 tag fast
cant fast forward or rewind mp3 songs on remote, since holding down foward or reverse functions as moving to the next "folder" of mp3s - which is cool since i dont fast forward or rewind songs! (well...maybe sometimes in progressive long trance songs)

Jan 7, 2003 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 4
How are your mp3s encoded? Do you use VBR?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back