My next step from k701(with iMod/Xin): er4s or HD 650 or HD 600?
Jun 30, 2007 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

toopeach

New Head-Fier
Need some advices.
I am currently quite happy with my K701 through 5g iMod/Xin Reference. Yet, I'd like to feel a different sonic world too.

Do you guys have any recommendation of cans? I'm fan of classical music, mostly piano sonata and symphonies. The candidates are er4s (I've heard that Dr. Xin loves this phone), HD 600, and HD 650.

Which one would introduce me to another aural bliss?

thanks in advance!

Jun 30, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 16
Kind of related, I would also like to know if I will like the K701 if I like the ER4S. Hope someone answer us both
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 16
My main phones are AKG K701s, HD650s, Grado RS-1s and Etymotic ER4S. For classical music, I think the HD650s are quite good. They don't have quite the same sound staging abilities of the HD650s, but they have a greater quantity of bass. I feel like I can pick out some of the nuances and details better on the AKG K701s than I can with the HD650s too. I think you would be quite happy with the HD650s, but I think I'd probably recommend the ER4S over the HD650s, given you already have a pretty kick ass set of non-portable cans as it is. I think that a pair of ER4S is probably more useful if you spend very much time using your headphones while on the go. If, on the other hand you don't do a lot of listening while on the go, then get the HD650s. I think the ER4S are excellent IEMs- in particular they block out a lot of background noise. I can happily use them on airplanes without having to turn up the volume much at all. But they are just not as good as either the AKG K701s or HD650s for general uses, in my opinion- even when amplified.

Jun 30, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My main phones are AKG K701s, HD650s, Grado RS-1s and Etymotic ER4S. For classical music, I think the HD650s are quite good. They don't have quite the same sound staging abilities of the HD650s, but they have a greater quantity of bass. I feel like I can pick out some of the nuances and details better on the AKG K701s than I can with the HD650s too. I think you would be quite happy with the HD650s, but I think I'd probably recommend the ER4S over the HD650s, given you already have a pretty kick ass set of non-portable cans as it is. I think that a pair of ER4S is probably more useful if you spend very much time using your headphones while on the go. If, on the other hand you don't do a lot of listening while on the go, then get the HD650s. I think the ER4S are excellent IEMs- in particular they block out a lot of background noise. I can happily use them on airplanes without having to turn up the volume much at all. But they are just not as good as either the AKG K701s or HD650s for general uses, in my opinion- even when amplified.

Great reply Clutz
smily_headphones1.gif
. I too have the 701s, 650s, and had the ER4p. For your classical music listening IMHO, I did like the 650s more for the greater quality of bass and I do agree that I could pick out some nuances and details better on the AKGs 701. I find that the HD 650s are more fun, and with the wide range of listening/genres I go to every week (check my profile), I grab the HD650s more. For classical, I find that I do grab the 701s, but I do love the way the 650s colorize the music and make them a bit more fun. I think it would be a good bet to try them out. Currently I have mine cabled with the Silver Dragon V2 cables, so they are a little more bright, but for classical music I think that works fantastic
smily_headphones1.gif
. Also, on the same note as Clutz said, I feel that the ER4S would suit you good as well if you use your headphones on the go. Let us know what you decide to get and how you like them. I'm going the same path as Clutz in listening since I have RS1 on order after listening to the SR 225s and loving it. Enjoy your headphone journey
600smile.gif

Jun 30, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #6 of 16
i would suggest listening to Beyer DT880 and Shure E500/530 if you can.

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by toopeach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you, Clutz and riceboy for your great replies!

Your very welcome toopeach. Good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #9 of 16
After I got the ER4P/S, I saw no reason why I should spend time anymore with the K701.

Jul 1, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #10 of 16
As good as the ER4S are, I have to disagree with The Marching Mule - they're simply not in the same league. The ER4S do not have the sound stage, the detail or the overall "presence" that the K701s have. The K701s are detailed from their sparkling treble, through the midrange and down to the bass. They don't have a lot of bass, but the bass that's there seems to me to be precise. The K701s also have a wonderfully immersive soundstage. The ER4S sound less alive to me, amped or unamped. Don't get me wrong, I think they're very good at what they do- but to my ears there is something missing with them relative to full sized cans.

My recommendation is go with the HD650s over the ER4S or ER4P/S. If you don't like them, you can easily sell the HD650s and buy a used pair of the ER4P/S or ER4S from the for sale forum.

Jul 1, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #11 of 16
The AKG 701's inspired a love/hate response from many people. I think they are capable of great detail, and subsequently magnify any problems with your system.

I have tried them with different system configurations and said "PU" many times.

After countless 6sn7 tubes, I have found the RCA grey glass as an input tube works well with Syl power tubes. This combo gives a more full bass and tames what can be a shrill midrange with the 701's.

Jul 1, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #12 of 16
Clutz and I have showed that this really varies between people; not that's there is anything wrong with that
icon10.gif
. I for one always felt there was too much air (like a Grado, but more) around the instruments to a point where it was simply not believable. With the HD650 and the ER4P/S (esp. the former), I found the right amount of soundstage; the HD650 esp. adds nice balance of weight onto the instrument, whereas the ER4P/S cannot produce much bass (very nice with the new Shure olive tips though) and lacks a wide soundstage, but it has enough where you can tell what and where something is panning, moving up and/or down, etc.

Jul 1, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #13 of 16
I agree with everything The Marching Mule has said. I really do think that the ER4S headphones are highly underrated headphones. They used tobe very popular at Head-Fi, and over the past few years with the advent of newer IEMs, their following has fallen off- but I really think they'r excellent. I'd like to try out some higher end IEMs; but being totally honest, I don't feel that the ER4S are actually lacking in anyway.

Jul 1, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After I got the ER4P/S, I saw no reason why I should spend time anymore with the K701.

That's funny. Since I bought your K701's, I think the opposite.

Jul 1, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellojoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's funny. Since I bought your K701's, I think the opposite.

Hey you, glad you're still enjoying those 'phones.
icon10.gif

I ran the K701 off a [regular 5G iPod - ALO Jumbo Cryo - Hornet], and even at Head Fest with grand setups and tube amps, I felt that for all that money that made up those grand setups, the difference was not worth it to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back