My next iPod: Classic or Touch?
Jul 29, 2009 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

IceClass

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently had my 80GB iPod Classic stolen out of the front of my truck and need to replace it.

I'm torn between getting a 120GB Classic or the 32GB Touch.

I listen to fairly large files in Apple Lossless format so the capacity of the Classic appeals but I'm also attracted by the Touch's apps to remote control my music server.

I'm leaning to towards the Classic as it strikes me as more rugged as well.
I often listen in crappy conditions - think long flights in noisy, dirty transport planes and dusty conditions in the truck.

Thoughts?

Jul 29, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 16
I have a 60GB 5G ipod video. I also have a 16GB iPhone 3G. I find my iphone to be more useful for travel and music. Yes, you do get a bit more limited w/ ALAC files and managing sizes but on travel, you can also take vids along. I had an 8GB iphone Gen 1 and memory was too small. I find 16GB much better and almost never use my 60GB.

W/ a case, I think a 32GB touch would be a good option. If you can wait a month or two, you may be able to jump on the wagon for the next Touch revision.

Jul 29, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 16
I have a touch, and will be selling it to get the classic 120gb. Since getting my new iems, I'm using my portable rig much more than I had before or ever imagined I would. Since my iems are revealing of source material, I use lossless, and really want the extra space. Found I never used the extra features of the touch anyway. 32gb is not a lot of space if you plan on using it a lot. I find my 16gb iphone is great for keeping things simple, but I often find I want to hear the one thing I just took off it to make room for something else.

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 16
Classic in the Yo Tank case= TANK.
darthsmile.gif

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2 ipod updates on the way for sure no doubt.

whatever shows up with the most capacity in sept, i'm buying one...

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #8 of 16
I just bought an 8gb touch about two months ago, I am wishing I had bought the 32gb. I use mine primarily as a PDA so the apps for me are great - checking email, taking quick notes, keeping up on news and Formula One. The one thing you have to remember is that the Touch will be WAY more useful when you have a wi-fi connection. Not a problem for me because I spend 95% of my time near one.
As for durability I got an acrylic case and screen protector from walmart and it has held up very well so far, I am a student but I spend most of my time in a machine shop working on projects - definitely not a clean environment. I carry this thing everywhere in my pocket. Also just got back from a 1000 mile ride on my GSXR-600 with it in my jacket pocket the whole way. Had absolutely no problems and could have made the whole trip playing music without charging the battery.
Some things I have noticed about the Touch is the EQ settings leave something to be desired, along with the volume control - it sounds like the gain is always high regardless of the volume setting giving a distorted bass with almost any EQ setting other than off.
The video is very nice too - big screen for a hand held device and still really crisp.
Hope this helps you out

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #9 of 16
I am guessing that you have listened to both the Classic and the Touch. I have not heard the Touch, but found the Classic headphone out very disappointing - somewhat detailed but lifeless. I found both the D2 and the Sony X 1061 much more musical and involving. The D2 build quality is good, but not great while the Sony seems like a durable bit of kit.

As far as build and durability in difficult environments, would not the flash memory be more physically robust than a hard drive. I have an iphone and while it does scratch on the back, it is solid and with a case pretty robust. Just my two cents.

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #10 of 16
the d2 is known to be cold and shrill not exactly cowon's best sounding player. If you are looking to amp a old iriver or ipod all the way but if not then there are good alternatives to a ipod.

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #11 of 16
Rugged? HDDs are not the way to go. If you might drop it, get the Touch IMO (depends on how far you drop it).
People say that the Touch is a little warmer than the Classic is; I have the 1G Touch so can't comment first hand on the SQ of both; but from reading, a majority of posts state that the 2G is a lot fuller, warmer, and bassier.

Jul 31, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #12 of 16
I'd say the Touch 2G is warmer than the Classic (although I didn't own both at same time to do an A-B) - but I'd say in no way is the Touch "Warm" - I'd say it was bright if anything

Jul 31, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #13 of 16
To answer you're questions, the classic is much warmer than the touch. I think you should go with the classic. The touch has a lot of little do-dads and apps, but you will get bored with it within a week or so. I know I did.

If I were you, I would wait until mid september when a new line of ipods will be released. Maybe we will get a flash memory classic! Who knows, there might be a whole new model introduced.

Jul 31, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #14 of 16
Can you hold off for a few months? We should get a capacity bump and possibly feature revisions by Christmas. My old 30GB is tired and I'm running out of room on it, but I'm going to keep it until the holidays.

Also, have you followed the Apple tablet rumors? Supposedly, they're working on a new album format for iTunes that will go along with it. Maybe that's what you'll really want.

Jul 31, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #15 of 16
I am often surprised at the contradictary (sp?) impressions of
DAPs. All given in good faith. Some say the Classic is richer than the Touch. Others say just the reverse. Some find the D2 flowing and musical others find it artificial and shrill. Makes it difficult to make a decision based on other people's reactions unless you know how they listen, etc. This is true for headphones as well but it seems there is more concensus in headphone opinions. Have others noticed this as well? If so, any ideas why?

Selfishly, I wish that I could listen to an S9 in Philly before it is too late to return my Sony. While both are well regarded, there seems little agreement on what is best.

What this boils down to for the OP, in my opinion is a suggestion to get thee to an Apple store and decide for yourself. The rest of us are well meaning but our I'mpressions nay not match yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back