My next DAC and amp
Jun 10, 2018 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

dlmorgan999

New Head-Fier
I recently got into the hobby and so far have purchased Audeze EL-8, beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO (my favorite so far!), and beyerdynamic T5P second generation headphones. I'm also in the current drops for the Sennheiser HD 6XX and Fostex TR-X00 Purpleheart headphones.

I have a JDS Labs The Element which I use at work, and an Audio-GD R2R-11 that I'm using at home. Now I want to purchase equipment for one other room in my house. This will be for headphones only, computer audio only (so no need for lots of different inputs), doesn't need to be portable, single-ended (no requirement for balanced), and I have no strong preference for combo vs. separates.

My budget is up to about $700. So far, I've considered (and done a bit of research on) the Audio-GD NFB-11.28, the Grace Design M900, and the JDS Labs EL DAC and EL amp.

I quite enjoy doing research, and I've done a bunch of reading on the forum so far, but the volume of information can be a bit overwhelming at times! :wink: As such, I'd appreciate recommendations on options that would work well for my requirements. Thanks in advance!

Jun 10, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the pointers. I have spent the last 30 minutes or so looking through the for sale area :wink:. That does seem like it might present some good opportunities. I just need to figure out which one(s) are well suited to my requirements.

Jun 10, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 9
While it's about $100 over your listed price range, the Questyle Audio CMA400i is now one of the most popular devices in that price range. Then again, most popular in this industry rarely aligns with what is actually best, but that device does look interesting.

The Chord Mojo is a bit beneath that price range and is an excellent device, will sound great with the 3 headphones you currently own though it makes for an awful pairing with the HD 6XX.

Jun 10, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 9
JDS Labs EL DAC and EL amp.
I seconds this. I like how EL AMP and DAC perform - especially the amp. Neutral with well controlled bass. The overall presentation is lively :)

Jun 10, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #9 of 9
I haven't listen to element for long so it will be rude for me to give comment. Sorry about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back