My "newbie" review of the TBSE1 (special edition Koss ProDJ100)
Oct 13, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:
WickedZen, where were you able to get these for $50? Were they new as well? I might jump on them immediately at that price. Around here they've been going for $70-80.

I was able to get the TBSE1 version for $49.99 here, I paid $58.24 with tax and shipping. I checked just now and the deal is still available. They were brand new in the original packaging.

http://www.tuesdaymorning.com/tony-bennett-signature-edition-stereophones/1255982.jsp

Oct 13, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:
I heard the Koss ProDJ100 at Best Buy's display and was really disappointed, but after reading a ton of reviews, I'm really starting to think that they completely messed up the cabling or something on all the headphone displays. Even with my own source going into their plug, and into the headphones, the ProDJ100 sounded really grainy and anemic. But so did about 50% of the headphones on the display (Sennheiser HD280, etc)

I'm glad they've set up a headphone tryout station (two, actually) at my local Best Buy, but I'm afraid I'm getting the wrong impression of each headphone I try there. Argh! 
mad.gif

I think I recall seeing similar reactions. My own search was pretty frustrating. When I would find something I liked and checked reviews, I would often find just as many negative comments as positive ones. I think there are several things you need to keep in mind. Not only do people have different "ears", they are often looking for different things in the sound and features. So basically right off you have to pretty much ignore the reviews that say "they are awesome get them" or "they suck avoid them" if they don't give more information as to why.
     For me Mad Lust Envy's guide was very helpful to putting me on track of the Creative Aurvana Live. Then I had feedback to one of my posts pointing towards either the Aurvana or the ProDJ100s. The reason I leaned to the ProDJ's was that I prefer the single cord to the double. Then I found tdockweiler's reviews on Amazon. Not only did he recommend them for gaming, he continued to update on the review; he also had given them good feedback on here as well.
     Also, I think it is to your advantage to purchase from some place that has easy returns. I normally do my online purchases through Amazon as I have had great experiences with them. I do not have problems with them often but when I do they have always gone above and beyond.     I purchased an item over a year ago during a move. Once I received the item I did a quick test to make sure it functioned then it got packed away. A year later I discovered they sent me a lesser model than what I paid for. I contacted the seller, they said sorry been too long. Which after a year I am not surprised, but I contacted Amazon directly and they sent me a return label, paid for the return shipping and gave me a full refund.
     In this case, as I mentioned, I purchased from a different seller because they had a price of over half off, making the TBSE1 version even cheaper than the ProDJ100. I was lucky that there were actually locations of this store in my area, within 30mins, so if I had an issue I would be able to deal with it through the store, which I verified ahead of time.

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #18 of 29
Turns out that I have a Tuesday Morning store in my area. You can do a store location lookup on their webpage.
Inside I looked around for 5 minutes and didn't see any. They are instead right up front at checkout in a display case!

They had about 6 of them left in stock at $50.

They also appear to accept returns for up to 45 days. I don't know if it's on only on open or un-opened items. I would check first.

I ended up buying a pair, but I also went next door to "Petco" to buy filter foam for my Sextett LP
biggrin.gif

Filter foam is $10! What a joke! I'll probably instead just sacrifice an old pillow instead.

Oct 13, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:
As has been posted about a bazillion times (I'm just surprised that basically NOBODY picks up on this, even when it's posted, they just ignore it and go straight to Amazon):
http://www.tuesdaymorning.com/tony-bennett-signature-edition-stereophones/1255982.jsp
The fact that they're still up, 10 days out, should tell you everything you need to know about how well people actually read. This was posted in the deals thread, has been posted in other threads, tdockweiler has mentioned it a few times, I've pasted it a few places, etc - and people just go right on spending $90 for them.
rolleyes.gif

This isn't meant to attack you by the way, I'm just completely baffled how this deal has gone absolutely un-noticed, and it isn't like "we" are keeping it some big secret.
Regarding the rest: there are places that will do a recable, but you won't like the prices. Especially for an HD 238. I'd either hack it at home, or junk'em. I think they're a great candidate in the sub-$200 range, open or closed, just overall they're a very well rounded pair of cans. I also think they're discontinued. But the DJ100 and DJ200 are not (DJ200 gets you the removable cable and KTC), so that's neat. I don't know what, if any, sonic differences exist.

I've posted the link in a few places too, and no one seems to be picking up on it. If this was in Canada I would have ordered one immediately.

Quote:
Turns out that I have a Tuesday Morning store in my area. You can do a store location lookup on their webpage.
Inside I looked around for 5 minutes and didn't see any. They are instead right up front at checkout in a display case!

They had about 6 of them left in stock at $50.

They also appear to accept returns for up to 45 days. I don't know if it's on only on open or un-opened items. I would check first.

I ended up buying a pair, but I also went next door to "Petco" to buy filter foam for my Sextett LP
biggrin.gif

Filter foam is $10! What a joke! I'll probably instead just sacrifice an old pillow instead.

You lucky Americans...

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #24 of 29
Thanks for writing the review. I just picked up a set from Tuesday Mornings today. They had about 9 in stock. I've been listening to them for a few hours... I'm just a audio newbie but I'm liking the sound. One thing though... they're starting to hurt my ears and my ears are getting a bit hot. Are my ears just big? The ear cups are somewhat of a mix of over-ear and on-ear for me (my lobes). I think I may have to return these and buy something else, which is sad because I've been enjoying them.

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:
Thanks for writing the review. I just picked up a set from Tuesday Mornings today. They had about 9 in stock. I've been listening to them for a few hours... I'm just a audio newbie but I'm liking the sound. One thing though... they're starting to hurt my ears and my ears are getting a bit hot. Are my ears just big? The ear cups are somewhat of a mix of over-ear and on-ear for me (my lobes). I think I may have to return these and buy something else, which is sad because I've been enjoying them.

You can stretch out the pads slightly while they're still installed. It seems that it takes awhile for them to break in and be more comfortable.
You can also try stuffing small pieces of tissue or foam in the top and bottom edges. Not too much.

I use M50 pads on mine, but of course those cost $20.

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #26 of 29
I'll give that a shot tdockweiler. Do you know if stretching the phones over a large object to stretch out the headband works on these? I think part of the problem might be the clamping force.

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:
I'll give that a shot tdockweiler. Do you know if stretching the phones over a large object to stretch out the headband works on these? I think part of the problem might be the clamping force.

Clamping gets much better over time. They used to hurt my ears because I wear glasses but not anymore. 

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

They had a lot of clamp for me on the first day. It goes away after a few days. Now there is no clamping force at all. It's probably comparable to my HD-598 in clamp!
They're not loose, but just right. I've even exercised with the DJ100 without them falling off my head. Can't do that with my KRKs or the old SRH-840.

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

I am glad sharing my experience helped. You got a great deal on some nice headphones. When I first got my headphones I had seen reviews that there could be problems with the ears, so I am not sure if it was that expectation or not, but I did experience some problems. However, after about a month of use I have not replaced or modified the ear pads. Sometimes I will have problems and adjust the fit, etc but there are times between school and gaming, I will wear them for  several hours and never have a problem. For the price you can get them right now, its more than worth it, With most budgets you should have enough to replace or mod the ear pads if needed. I hope to give an more in-depth update soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back