My new Zana Deux + pictures
Nov 4, 2007 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Omom

100+ Head-Fier
zana043.jpg

zana042.jpg

zana044.jpg

I have 2 weeks my new Zana Deux, I am using it with Sylvania VT-229 (also NU VT-229, RCA-229 and Tung Sol VT-229 black glass - thanks to Zana head-fi clan). I must say that this thing is not audio equipment but piece of art.

Source: Storm Audio Pandora NOS DAC
Headphones: DT880 600 Ohm, stock AKG K340

My impressions after 100 hours: I can compare it to Corda Opera. Zana Deux has plenty of power to drive DT880 and K340 more than Opera. It has better HUGE very wide and deep soundstage (with DT880 and orchestral recordings), I can find instruments in space – but they are part of the whole music. The bass is not so punchy and prominent like with Opera I feel it strong more natural and coherent with mids and treble (Opera has bass and treble with little bit recessed mids). The amplifier is dead quiet and music just comes from black background. The experience is MUSICAL and organic, fuller. Opera is flatter, more 2D. I feel the music in whole like gestalt, I am not distracted with small details. If some of these qualities belong to tubes, I must admit that I prefer tubes to SS with my headphones. This amplifier is very clear and transparent sounding.

Dealing with Craig was 100%, he answered all my questions and helped with sending to Europe.

My next step will be to try some Grado headphones for rock after selling K1000.

ps excuse my English

Nov 4, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 34
Hi Omon, nice headphone amp.

But with all those valves it looks like you need to give it a little more ventilation, as keeping it in that cubby hole you are in danger of cooking it! If it was mine I would put it on the shelf above in the free air.

Just a thought.

Nov 4, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermionic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But with all those valves it looks like you need to give it a little more ventilation, as keeping it in that cubby hole you are in danger of cooking it! If it was mine I would put it on the shelf above in the free air.

Just a thought.

I was thinking the same! Omom, if you do not have the space then consider buying one of those small electric fans and use it to force ventilation around tha Zana.

Beautiful amp! enjoy it.

Nov 4, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 34
Congrats!!
Have you tried K1000 on it?

Nov 4, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #9 of 34
i've tried the K1000 on mine.. bad idea (it didn't do to well).. but the ZD is brilliant as a pre amp to the Firstwatt FI.

Nov 5, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermionic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just a thought.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking the same! Omom, if you do not have the space then consider buying one of those small electric fans and use it to force ventilation around tha Zana.

Beautiful amp! enjoy it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do i smell smoke?

careful with that hot thing under such a small wooden area/cubby!

x4 The first photo I saw, I started looking for the fire extinguisher in the photo. I would have though more ventilation would be advisable as well.

But besides that, that is a beautiful amplifier. I am only a bit jealous and looking at my wallet and wondering! Which Grado's are you going to try with it?

cheers
Simon

Nov 5, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #14 of 34
eddie current has a website ya know...

also: the hp1000 and sony qualia are the two best ZD headphones.

dmk005: dude, go to the opera thread in the todd the vinyl junkie forum, there's a opera comparison with the zana deux. (verdict: Craig Ulthus is bill Belichick and the opera=redskins). his source is the pandora storm dac... read the sig!

Nov 5, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #15 of 34
Looks beautiful. I am sure it is absolutely worth the wait. Interesting comparing it to the Opera. I would expect a vast difference. What source are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back