My new Stax Omega II System (SR-007 & SRM-007t)
Aug 24, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #17 of 33
Aug 25, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by treebug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you still have these krmathis? On the verge of making a purchase! What do you think to them now?

Yeah, I still own the SR-007 system (SR-007BL and SRM-007t).
I love it even more now than back then... Guess that tells it all!
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I still own the SR-007 system (SR-007BL and SRM-007t).
I love it even more now than back then... Guess that tells it all!
biggrin.gif

That's great! My Stax dealer is urging me to go for the Kimik valve upgrade. Did you go down that path yourself? Just wondering if it's worth the extra few hundred pounds.

Sep 1, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

That's great! My Stax dealer is urging me to go for the Kimik valve upgrade. Did you go down that path yourself? Just wondering if it's worth the extra few hundred pounds.

Few hundred pounds!!!???!!! Those valves only cost about 30$ each for the best Toshiba stuff if you can find them.

Sep 2, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #21 of 33
....and there have been quite a few posts on exactly how to bias the 6CG7/6FQ7 valves as well, so you should have lots of spare change to buy good music to bliss out to LOL

Sep 2, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Not the membrane inside the headspeaker, but the amplifier with tubes and cables. It is said to open up after 150-200 hours.

IMO it will be more that your ears and brain will get used to that new sound, that "the burn in" of cables and tubes...but what do I know...
wink.gif

In any case congrats and enjoy them...are those the new version, or a NOS?
o2smile.gif
o2smile.gif
o2smile.gif

Sep 2, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Few hundred pounds!!!???!!! Those valves only cost about 30$ each for the best Toshiba stuff if you can find them.

I think it's more than just the valves that are upgraded, but yes, an extra £300. Just wondered if it's worth paying that extra and whether it makes a big difference to the sound.

Sep 2, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

I think it's more than just the valves that are upgraded, but yes, an extra £300. Just wondered if it's worth paying that extra and whether it makes a big difference to the sound.

Do you know any details of that? You can change the caps in the amp but it won't make any difference since it is all DC coupled and there is not much else that can be done.

Sep 2, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #25 of 33
Droool. Sorry, I didn't mean to slobber on your pictures
tongue_smile.gif

They look sweet....no doubt sound better than they look. Now I'm really jealous as I had hoped to get this combo next year, but alas, my youngest daughter is getting married. There goes my disposable income for the year!

Congratulations. I'm happy for you
happy_face1.gif

Sep 3, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know any details of that? You can change the caps in the amp but it won't make any difference since it is all DC coupled and there is not much else that can be done.

EAT DCT valves-if that means anything to you? Also, high spec coolers/dampers. Excuse my ignorance-I'm new to electrostatics-just quoting what I've been told-apparently makes a huge difference(?)
confused_face(1).gif

Sep 3, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

EAT DCT valves-if that means anything to you? Also, high spec coolers/dampers. Excuse my ignorance-I'm new to electrostatics-just quoting what I've been told-apparently makes a huge difference(?)
confused_face(1).gif

EAT makes valves or rather has them made for them with some screw on dampers. DCT would indicate cryo treatment which is just silly on tubes though some swear by it. The difference could be rather large if they are using NOS Japan made tubes and then cryo-ing them but for 300pounds it's never going to be worth it since the Stax amp isn't very good to begin with and wholly inadequate for the Omegas. Then there is the Woo Audio GES costing only 1500$ for a stock model and there are certainly ways to get around any VAT on that.

Sep 4, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #29 of 33
Well, this thread obviously will not die...
Even if its more than two (2) years old.
tongue.gif

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

I just came home after picking up my brand new Stax Omega II Electrostatic System (SR-007 and SRM-007t). They are both the rare black units.
Could not say no to the deal I got, so I walked home with them.
600smile.gif

No comment on the sound quality until I have burned them in for a couple hundred hours, but all I can say so far is... WOW!

Take care!

Are the phones 007A's or Mk1's?

A couple of hundred hours! I am not so restrained. I like to report on the sound quality from the first insert of the plug.

Yesterday, straight out of the shipping box, the sound of my 007a's was thin and sibilant. Within 1/2 hr or less these were obviously an exceptional high-fi product.

As much as electrical breakin, I am finding that pad placing and band adjustment are major factors in sound quality with these phones. I would suspect that after 200 hours of wearing on the head, the pads might breakin enough to fit better and this could give better sound independent of any electrical breakin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back