My new pride and joy! (tube headphone amp)
Dec 3, 2002 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

gdahl

100+ Head-Fier
HPamp1.JPG

This last weekend I finished my new headphone amp, which features the Peerless TL-404 autoformer. A full description, with more images, is at my new headphone amp web page:

http://www.nutshellhifi.com/gary

Dec 4, 2002 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 48
What!? You've built that awesome thing yourself!? Amazing! {8>D)

Alex Altorfer
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2002 at 12:26 AM Post #9 of 48
Looks great. Needs some wood (just kidding) How does it sound? It is amazing the talent here on Head-fi. We every formed a headphone amp corporation we would be the greatest!

Dec 4, 2002 at 1:02 AM Post #10 of 48
gdahl -

Just beautiful man. You are really talented!

But I must say that that "Aurora" on your website is to DIE for!!!!! "Like butta!"

biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2002 at 2:24 AM Post #12 of 48
Thanks for your kind words!!

The chassis is a Hammond aluminum box. I took it to a powder coating shop for finishing. They charged $50, which was a minimum order. The guy said he would have done two of them for that price if I had another. The color is called "Silver Vein".

Lextek, I liked your comment about it "needing some wood..." As a matter of fact, right now the "wood" is being provided by recently-arrived W100's and W1000's.

Actually I was going to put a wooden frame around the amp, until I got it back from the powder coat shop--I like the finish so much, I don't want to cover any of it up!

Dec 4, 2002 at 6:42 AM Post #14 of 48
GDahl,

Great job!! Nice, clean finish and powder coat. Man it looks nice. Let us know some more thoughts and impressions after it breaks in!! It would be interesting to hear what it is like with either the W100 or W1000. Plus what the differences are that you hear between the two cans!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back