My new King of IEMs (Tony's Triple.fi review)
Apr 5, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #151 of 171
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

I have loved the sound of my Triples ever since I got them at the end of last year, but they have never fit well. I don't like the 530s nearly as well, but bought them in desperation. They fit great, but I don't like the sound as well for the kind of music I listen to most. I'd analogize the difference between 530s and Triples to the difference between Steinlager and Pilsner Urquell; Steinlager is a fine, enjoyable beverage, but Pilsner Urquell is what beer is supposed to be.

Now, I have my Triples reversed, the black foam Shure earpieces installed, and a set of Comply earpieces on order. Happiness regins.

Y'all rock.

Apr 6, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #152 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in December I had another problem that made me hate the Triples. The cable was so stiff that used always to get in the way, press against my face, move the earpieces in my ears whenever I was turning my head and shoulders, and so on. I'm very sensitive to comfort, and this cable and its nasty structure completely spoiled my listening.

You know Tony I've said the same here about's many times in threads and 99% of the time I get some jerk, mostly from those who assume that how this cable performs in the USA is how it performs all around the world. Time after time I've said it and time after time I've had to read that I'm wrong, or worse still had to endure a carefully worded bit of xenophobia.

I'm glad to read that you had the same problems, plus that the same cable provided the answer. Hopefully one day UE will buck their ideas up and provide us with a cable that does their phones justice and wasn't just a after thought.

Apr 6, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #153 of 171
I must fully agree the cable is a very bad design. The worst I've used from an IEM standpoint. I find the Westone design the best. It couldn't cost that much more to include this type of braided cable in the end product, just pass the few extra cents in cost to us end users who would be more than happy to pay the difference for a bit higher quality.

Apr 6, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #154 of 171
Same here. I have never been too happy about the OEM cable in my UE Super.Fi 5 Pro nor my Triple.Fi 10's. It was just "addequate" at best. Thanks to a thread here in the forums, I got the ES cable for my UE TF10's, and it was then when I realized how really "bad" the OEM cable was. In fact, I like the ES cable so much that I sent them along with my ear impressions in the hope that the folks making my SuperFreQs will be able to use the ES cables for my custom IEM's
wink.gif

Will

Apr 6, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #155 of 171
Thanks guys. I've added some trivia to the first post.

Legin, I remember having supported one of your posts in a random thread. I also was happy that I wasn't the only one complaining about the cable.

Apr 7, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #156 of 171
Quote:

Thanks guys. I've added some trivia to the first post.

Legin, I remember having supported one of your posts in a random thread. I also was happy that I wasn't the only one complaining about the cable.

Interesting points in your trivia, but I shan't point out that when I bought my Westone cable the Westone website only wanted $19 including shipping and they just stuffed it in a padded envelope and it arrived less that one week later, after which I began telling every man and his dog how good it was - and - Ultimate Ears wanted $33 plus shipping for what I realised was more or less the same cable, so it was just simple maths who was going to get my order... sadly since then Westone have hiked their prices... oh and sorry I did just point it out
biggrin.gif

Funnily enough - and I'm not trying to lower the whole tone of the thread - but the thing thats constantly amazed me about some of the replies that my thread (prior the site crash) got was how many threads we have in which people constantly ask 'whats the best IEM tip for use with X' and all simply because people find certain IEM tips very uncomfortable - despite the fact the designer designed the IEM's for use with a particular design and construction of tips. One conclusion I've reached is that many people on Head-fi either don't read sex manuals, or are totally unaware that the human ear is a erogenous zone and certain tips can be a complete turn off. On the other hand the right tip can make music sound totally orgasmic and all because the outer bits of our ears are wired into the sex center of the human brain
eek.gif
cool.gif

Apr 8, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #157 of 171
OBOY--Legin hits on two fave topics: sex and earphone tip placement. Wonderful segue. Sounds, orgasms and erogenous zones!!!! And all in the same paragraph.

Good goin' bro

Apr 8, 2008 at 11:49 AM Post #158 of 171
And we haven't heard yet from Ety users who lubrificate their triflanges before insertion.
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #159 of 171
It has been a couple of weeks since I received my TF10's from Adam at Full Compass. Between Income Tax deadline and taking care of things at home, I have not been able to stop and make some helpful comments.

First, the TF10 IEM is first-rate. Great audio across the full spectrum. For stock IEM comparisons, there are no other competitors that come close. It is true, they use the exact same drivers that are used in the custom UE10. Now I understand why so many other users have upgraded to the UE10--what a great sound.

Second, I want to thank Anthony and others who have been such good encouragers and who have made it very easy to find other possible enhancements to the TF10, to make it even better.

Third, like Anthony, the stock cable that comes with the TF10 is a deal breaker! Are you listening UE? It is too large, too heavy and too cumbersome. Ugh!!!!

Fourth, thank you to others on this list who have recommended the flip=flop. It is so much more comfortable to have the units sitting in the ear, not hanging out on the side of the ear.

Fifth, thanks for the members recommending the comfortable Shure Black Soft Flex Sleeves for Earphones (aka EA510(x) x=S,M or L)
Shure - Black Soft Flex Sleeves for Earphones

I tried using the Comply T400 tips but found they affected the sound picture too much. I prefer the Shure Soft Flex tips.

Sixth, and probably the most important, I am VERY grateful for the recommendations to the ES cable from Westone. I am not very impressed by their Customer Service. It took over a week to process and prepare my order for shipping. Then I asked for a FedEx tracking number, and that took another three days. However, the 0.10 lb box was well worth the waiting effort. The Westone ES cable is like velvet butter. You cannot tell that there is a cable even connected. With the memory wire around the top of your ear properly adjusted for your own dimensions, you can put the TF10 in both ears in less than 3 seconds.

How lightweight, comfortable and enjoyable can the TF10 be? I worked on our income tax for 4 straight hours and totally forgot they were in my ears. Nothing short of great personal enjoyment. And yes, I like the TF10 much more than my Sensaphonics Soft 2x. It is just fine!

If you are hedging, don't forget to personally check with Adam at Full Compass. He has the cheapest price available and you are buying from a full service dealer with a solid reputation. Adam also has the EA510 tips.

Hope this is of help to a new user. A special THANKS to Anthony for his encouragement!!! This is a winning combination.

Apr 20, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #160 of 171
Quote:

Bass and soundstage together give a real feeling of a full size headphone. What I mean is the bass sounds like it's coming from something big. I had this feeling only when I listened to my Koss A250, and it was what I loved most of those cans. Never experienced the same with any IEM.

Comply tips are much better than Shure black olive foamies. While Olives weren't made for the Triple fi, and had to be adapted, feeling huge in the ear, Comply are perfect and make the Triples feel small and comfortable. It's a soft feeling: the Triple fi seem to lay at the entrance of the ear (this can be felt when pulling them off). Anyway, these two mods improve comfort extremely and make Triple.fi on top for convenience, as well as sound.
Tony

Interesting, you had some A250s and preferred the Triple-Fis more than the Ety's... I LOVE my A250s and having just gotten ER-4S think these are the portables I have been looking for. I'd be interested to hear more about the A250s v ER-4S v T-fis...

Also, agree 100% on the complys v olives. I can't understand the preference for olives around here. Although I did recently discover I have very narrow ear canals...

Apr 21, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #161 of 171
Thank you jbr, I'm really happy to see that you don't miss your Sensaphonics at all.

Rich, I owned the A250 for only a few days. I realized that they were extremely detailed and fast (more so than ER4S), but at the time I only had a Pimeta amp, which was bright. The combo resulted in extremely metallic highs, and it wasn't enjoyable. The A250 had a beautiful bass anyway. You might ask to nc8000 for a comparison. I sold my A250 to him and he loved them, considering them like Etys on steroids. Then he bought the Triple.fi after reading this thread, and ended selling the Koss. The Triple.fi are more delicate and refined in my opinion, but I didn't have a warm amp for the Koss, so I can't say I really enjoyed them.

Apr 21, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #163 of 171
The Super.fi stock can't compare. With a few tweaks, like the Westone cable and some impedance, they are pretty close. The Triple.fi will still have a bit better detail and more extended treble, and you should consider that the Superfi have more sibilant upper midrange. This goes away when you put the said impedance (like in a Shure volume attenuator) in the line: it subdues the upper midrange. The side effect is that some vocals sound a bit less airy. The Triple.fi have better balance in this regard.

Without the volume attenuator, the Superfi would also pick a lot more hiss from your player.

Apr 21, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #164 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How lightweight, comfortable and enjoyable can the TF10 be? I worked on our income tax for 4 straight hours and totally forgot they were in my ears. Nothing short of great personal enjoyment. And yes, I like the TF10 much more than my Sensaphonics Soft 2x. It is just fine!

The new Sensaphonics 2X just sounded bad! I agree.
frown.gif

Apr 22, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #165 of 171
Quote:

The Super.fi stock can't compare. With a few tweaks, like the Westone cable and some impedance, they are pretty close. The Triple.fi will still have a bit better detail and more extended treble, and you should consider that the Superfi have more sibilant upper midrange. This goes away when you put the said impedance (like in a Shure volume attenuator) in the line: it subdues the upper midrange. The side effect is that some vocals sound a bit less airy. The Triple.fi have better balance in this regard.

Without the volume attenuator, the Superfi would also pick a lot more hiss from your player.

I'll only use stock, because I won't have time and money to mod anything (I live in Brazil, i'm gonna buy my new IEM when I travel to USA for a week).
So, considering stock, the Superfi's are very far from triple.fis, right?
Also, UE has a volume attenuator with the superfis, dont they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back