My new HD650s sound better than my D7000s!
Oct 26, 2011 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

jsplice

500+ Head-Fier
I'm finding this hard to believe, but these new HD650s I picked up recently are just so much more engaging to me than my D7000s.  The sound just seems to envelop me.  Bass and midrange textures are outstanding; they just wrap me in a pillow of sound, but somehow maintain excitement and bass impact.  I haven't even had a desire to put my D7000s back on since I received the HD650s.

Has anyone else shared this experience?

Oct 26, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 21
Glad you like them! 
wink_face.gif

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Oct 26, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 21
Exact same experience except with D2000's.  Had my HD650's a little over a week and can't stop listening to them.  The excitement they produce is what surprised me the most as I was expecting them to be laid back in sound.

Oct 26, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 21
It's a tough slog for any closed flagship can (D7000 or other) to compete
with a very good open example.

Oct 27, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #5 of 21
This is why a lot of us old members are so passionate about open headphones.

Fire away, but I think open cans are almost always superior. The R10 is an exception, but they're not in production and have always been expensive.

Anyhow, congrats on the HD-650. They're some of the best headphones ever produced - enjoy them.

Oct 27, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #8 of 21
I don't have a pair but have been wanting the HD 650s as they will be perfect in my secondary headphone rig. I have tried them with all my system set up and they were great! 

You may just be getting a better system synergy going with your source and amp, or your truly an open headphone person. Nothing wrong with that. I just think you are thrilled by a new sound signature though.

Oct 27, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #9 of 21
Not surprising - the HD650s are truly exceptional cans for the money they go for these days. The fact that scale so well with higher end gear is a testament to their quality.

Oct 27, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #10 of 21
Bit of a sensational title! Doesn't it just mean you prefer the HD650 to the D7000, not that it's "better"? I had a similar experience going from the HD600 to the D7000.

I would like to try the HD650, but is there much point since people seem to say the LCD-2 is the logical upgrade from the HD650?

Oct 27, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #12 of 21
Ok lots of things to respond to here.

@Brokenthumb: I agree.  They do not sound laid back to me at all.  Nothing sounds too forward, yet not too laid back.  It seems like a perfect balance.

@Uncle Erik: It is starting to seem that way to me too.  The open sound sounds much less smeared , and sounds more natural.  Some may argue that it doesn't have quite the same "excitement" as closed cans, but with the HD650s, I'm learning that they can be very excited for me.

@copdauxu: Never heard the AKG's, but before buying the HD650s, I was considering them.  I'm glad I didn't though, because I personally do not prefer the lean/analytical sound that they supposedly have.

@Redcarmoose: I think this is a very good point.  I actually owned the HD650s once before, almost 2 years ago.  At the time, I was using an Elekit TU-882 tube amp, which I thought would be a great match.  However, I never enjoyed the sound of the HD650s with that amp, and became frustrated and sold them.  It was very frustrating because for weeks I spent time reading all the descriptions of the HD650 sound.  It was exactly what I was looking for.  But once I heard them in my setup, I was greatly disappointed.  But a few weeks ago, I just got that feeling that I needed to give them another chance.  Low and behold, THIS is the sound I had originally strived for.

@shamrock134: It's possible that this just because of a new sound signature, but I have tried a few other cans that have not had this type of impact on me.  When I originally purchased the D7000s, I was coming FROM the HD650s, but in a system that I think had bad synergy. 

At this point I'm actually considering selling my D7000s.  It's nice to have two cans with very different sound sigs laying around, but I don't like the fact that I have a headphone worth about $400-$500 just collecting dust.  Could use that money to fund other things.

Oct 27, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #13 of 21
I know how you feel, the 650's have an immersive soundstage. I own the 598's but im seriosly considering the 650's in the future. 

Oct 27, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #14 of 21
Well I was trying to hold off on comparing the two headphones side by side, but I caved this evening.  Here are some of the basic things I've noticed between the two:

D7000:
Positives:
--Slightly better detail
--A tad better at resolving micro-dynamics
--Definitely more comfortable
--Soundstage is slightly "deeper", more expansive
Negatives:
--Bass is a bit overwhelming when listening at the same higher volumes as the HD650
--Bass is prominent, but slightly muddy
--Midrange is certainly recessed
--These headphones tend to "draw attention" to the sound they produce, AKA the "hi-fi" sound

HD650
Positives:
--Lush harmonic textures on piano, strings, and the harmonies between instruments
--Bass is tight, impactful, but not overwhelming
--While not as expansive, the soundstage feels more natural
--Reveals layer upon layer of timbre and texture, very rich, full sound
--Allows you to really enjoy the music rather than paying attention to details
Negatives:
--Treble extension not perfect
--Not quite as "transparent"
--Not as much "air" around the instruments
--Not as comfortable

Overall I think it's easy for me to say that at this point in time, I enjoy the HD650s more than the D7000s.  I would not say that either one is superior (as I previously stated the D7000 was superior after my first experience with the HD650s a few years ago), but the are just different flavors.  I feel that the D7000s are slightly more "transparent" or resolving simply because they have a hiked up treble.  

Oct 27, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #15 of 21
One other thing, as others have mentioned, open cans have an advantage right off the bat.  You can definitely hear that when comparing these two headphones.  These's something about the sound of an open headphone that isn't quite matched by closed designs.  Again, it's a different flavor, but to me, the open design seems to sound much more natural.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back