My new equipment is showing just how bad the Ipod is.
Aug 19, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #31 of 37
gdg have you tried going the line out fromt he iPod? Since you have the amp, you don't need to use the iPod's built-in amp. Give it a go and then let us know what you hear.

Aug 19, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #32 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by aliquis
It's different chips in the various iPods.

No it isn't. All iPods use Wolfson DACs. Although there are differences in the way the headphone amplification is handled, the chips are all nearly identical. The DAC in the iPod is every bit as good as the one in most home CD players.

See ya
Steve

Aug 19, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by gdg
I was hoping someone would tell me I'd done something stupid in my file transfers or something but I guess I have to send it back.

Try normalizing the track down to 85%. It may be that the track is clipping. I would try other recordings too.

See ya
Steve

Aug 19, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #35 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1979
I don't know if this is verification but:

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/vie...ve_on_the_iAud

That is for the iAudio X5, not an iPod. Although that is one of the tests that I want to run when I have a chance.

@Bigshot: yes, the iPods all use a Wolfson DAC. But they don't all use the same Wolfson DAC. The statement "it's different chips in different iPods" is completely accurate.

Aug 20, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #36 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWolf
gdg have you tried going the line out fromt he iPod? Since you have the amp, you don't need to use the iPod's built-in amp. Give it a go and then let us know what you hear.

J,
I use a Cryodock into a Hornet. I just checked the variable out to verify that the problem was with the Ipod. It turns out mine is defective.

Aug 20, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #37 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by gdg
J,
I use a Cryodock into a Hornet. I just checked the variable out to verify that the problem was with the Ipod. It turns out mine is defective.

Your iPod or your Cryodock?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back